U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:09 AM

16,908 posts, read 51,523,686 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think any attempt at budgeting beyond a year is a total crup-shoot. There are just too many variables now that the things are changing globally. You may be better off just trying to live as cheaply as possible and not bothering to massage the figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 10:31 AM

975 posts, read 1,545,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
"The cost of working" which few will recognize until they retire and see the cost drop off.

When I retired all those items and cost that were necessary for me to work everyday gave me
a huge "pay raise" when I no longer had to pay them. Enough of a pay raise that almost all
those smaller expenses I worried about paying had plenty of money to cover them.
This is a great point. I'm not retired but I work from home and for the first few months we couldn't figure out how come we were spending so much less. I remember sitting down with my wife double checking to make sure we had actually paid all the bills.

Turns out gas, lunches, dry cleaning, trips to the vending machine and so forth, all those things really add up over the course of a month.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:13 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,523,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I am surprise nobody mentioned "retirement"....
I assumed that his reason for compiling such a list was to calculate the savings he needs for a comfortable retirement, so I didn't include it in my suggestions.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:46 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,246,246 times
If you have a computer and office its easiest to do buy keeping records on all spending for about three months. The main thing is to keep accurate records and that will tell you where and how you spend your money. Do the same agsin in the winter because cost will shift some.it also might surprise you where you can save.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:13 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,057,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If you have a computer and office its easiest to do buy keeping records on all spending for about three months. The main thing is to keep accurate records and that will tell you where and how you spend your money. Do the same agsin in the winter because cost will shift some.it also might surprise you where you can save.
While a great suggestion I learned the hard way that hidden cost will
punch big holes in any book keeping system. I did this for a year and
to my shock and horror I learned that inspite of my best ,nit picky, write
every penny down efforts I still couldn't account for........$20,000!!

I now suspect that it was the "cost of working" that eluded me that was
the culprit.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:03 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,246,246 times
My wife did cost accounting so its pretty easy for her. miising 20.000 loks like your accounting is pretty bad.I said you need to keep very recieipt just like a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or