U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2009, 07:28 AM
 
18,160 posts, read 16,492,457 times
Reputation: 9757

Advertisements

I truly hate to see what happens to GM in the next few years. Their cars are going to be complete disasters. Nobody is going to want the tiny econoboxes and that's on top of the reliability issues and cost considerations.
Buy a GM car now, as big as you want it, you won't want what they think they can force you to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2009, 10:11 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 53,670,956 times
Reputation: 9357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I truly hate to see what happens to GM in the next few years. Their cars are going to be complete disasters. Nobody is going to want the tiny econoboxes and that's on top of the reliability issues and cost considerations.
Buy a GM car now, as big as you want it, you won't want what they think they can force you to buy.
The problem with this, is that the government no only can force GM to build what they want, but also all other companies that want to sell cars inside the country by simply writing new laws limiting choices. And now that they own a car company, they have an incentive to write laws that benefit their own company..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 01:48 PM
 
14,253 posts, read 14,766,718 times
Reputation: 13621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I truly hate to see what happens to GM in the next few years. Their cars are going to be complete disasters. Nobody is going to want the tiny econoboxes and that's on top of the reliability issues and cost considerations.
Buy a GM car now, as big as you want it, you won't want what they think they can force you to buy.
The problem for GM is as much reputational as anything else. Knowing that they have gone (or are about to go) bankrupt, knowing that they are about to unload a large proportion of their dealers, knowing that they are probably going to be forced to build certain kinds of car and knowing that they can only stay afloat as long as the government keeps bailing them out .......... a lot of people are going to say that it is too risky to buy a GM car and they would prefer to buy a car from a company that they feel is more stable in the long-term than GM.

Beyond this bankruptcy, GM are going to continue being in the tank and, sooner or later, the government will stop fronting the cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,523,597 times
Reputation: 15431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The problem for GM is as much reputational as anything else. Knowing that they have gone (or are about to go) bankrupt, knowing that they are about to unload a large proportion of their dealers, knowing that they are probably going to be forced to build certain kinds of car and knowing that they can only stay afloat as long as the government keeps bailing them out .......... a lot of people are going to say that it is too risky to buy a GM car and they would prefer to buy a car from a company that they feel is more stable in the long-term than GM.

Beyond this bankruptcy, GM are going to continue being in the tank and, sooner or later, the government will stop fronting the cash.
Actually the bottom line is the government will keep floating these companies money as long as it's seen as a way to garner huge voting blocks, election money and support to get 'em elected and re-elected period. Viability,current law and morality have NOTHING to do with it. If they did we wouldn't be having this discussion now, GM and Chrysler would have been in BK court long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Business ethics is an oxymoron.
1,681 posts, read 2,086,658 times
Reputation: 3318
Just remember. The profits and gains are to be shared only with the few. The losses must be shared by all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 AM
 
14,253 posts, read 14,766,718 times
Reputation: 13621
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Actually the bottom line is the government will keep floating these companies money as long as it's seen as a way to garner huge voting blocks, election money and support to get 'em elected and re-elected period. Viability,current law and morality have NOTHING to do with it. If they did we wouldn't be having this discussion now, GM and Chrysler would have been in BK court long ago.
The British government did that in the 1970s with an outfit known as British Leyland. They were a basket case that made cars that nobody wanted. They continued to suck up taxpayer money and continued to be a basket case. When Margaret Thatcher came to power she pulled the plug on them and they disappeared into the dustbin of history. Interestingly, the British auto industry subsequently emerged far stronger than it had been when BL was around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Rockland County New York
2,984 posts, read 5,128,388 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLynn View Post
Your lottery ticket analogy is a false one. Buying bonds is not gambling. The bond is a contract between the seller and the buyer. We give the seller money to help run their business or municipality and they in turn promise to return our initial investment with interest.

This current administration is breaking contracts without blinking an eye. Their only goals are more control over business and more power. It disgusts me.
This is something people should have considered when voting for Obama. He believes in the Chicago school of economics but no one thought to consider that when they were casting their votes. Perhaps people are getting what they deserve. They donít care to understand the differences between the two partyís platforms and philosophies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,523,597 times
Reputation: 15431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
This is something people should have considered when voting for Obama. He believes in the Chicago school of economics but no one thought to consider that when they were casting their votes. Perhaps people are getting what they deserve. They donít care to understand the differences between the two partyís platforms and philosophies
That's part of the problem, there's no such thing as "two parties" anymore. It's just progressive and progressive "light" now. Both singing the same tune just one is louder than the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top