U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 08:32 PM

411 posts, read 1,029,996 times

Advertisements

I wasn't exactly sure where to put this thread, so, if there is a better place for it, please tell me. Anyway, just FYI, I am not on my own yet so I don't know much about taxes and I have a few questions.

1.) I asked on yahoo answers if suburbanites have to pay taxes that help the big city pay for buildings to be built and people basically said that people either pay taxes for their town or for the town they work in. So, basically, the taxpayers benefit from the taxes because they help a town they either work or live in, correct?

2.) When a city starts to build a lot of new buildings, do people's taxes noticeably increase?

Thank you so much for your help! If I think of any more questions, I'll post them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 09:27 PM

Also, do state or federal taxes generally benefit larger cities more than smaller cities or is it equal?

Old 05-28-2009, 03:57 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Since tax money usage is politcally devided;yes those with more representation and keep positions generally get more of the cut of the pie per person.Just as a example: 80% of poverty is locted in 20% of two nrural areas of the country. They get 20% of federal aid. Cites wiht teh other 20% get the 80% left. The politics of poverty.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:14 AM

22,770 posts, read 25,186,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
I asked on yahoo answers if suburbanites have to pay taxes that help the big city pay for buildings to be built and people basically said that people either pay taxes for their town or for the town they work in.
Every state works differently. In places I've lived:

People's biggest local tax is property tax. They pay some small fraction of their home's value to the county, and then some to the city.

Some people don't live in the city, and just pay county. Sometimes the city limits include the suburbs, sometimes the city limits just include downtown. If you live in the suburbs, chances are good you live in a different city entirely.

Quote:
So, basically, the taxpayers benefit from the taxes because they help a town they either work or live in, correct?
Not sure if I understand you.

Quote:
When a city starts to build a lot of new buildings, do people's taxes noticeably increase?
Only if the city's finances are structured in a way where the suburbanites "support" the city's big buildings. I doubt this happens in very many places. In many places in America, the big city decayed when cars allowed the wealthier families to move to the suburbs, instead of downtown.

Big urban areas can get huge tax revenues from sales taxes, and various business fees. They charge property taxes, too, they just tend to get revenue from a wide variety of sources.

Like I said, though, this all depends on where you are. I don't know how things are done in California.

Last edited by le roi; 05-28-2009 at 05:23 AM..

Old 05-28-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Since tax money usage is politcally devided;yes those with more representation and keep positions generally get more of the cut of the pie per person.Just as a example: 80% of poverty is locted in 20% of two nrural areas of the country. They get 20% of federal aid. Cites wiht teh other 20% get the 80% left. The politics of poverty.
Can this be fixed? Is your example true or did u just make it up for an example?

Old 05-30-2009, 05:22 AM

7,475 posts, read 19,565,214 times
A city's income is derived from sales tax, and property tax. The more business done in your community, the more sales tax. Use Anaheim as an example. They have Disneyland, Angel Stadium, The Convention Center, to name just a few, to go along with the thousands of smaller business'.. Imagine how much sales tax that city takes in on just those three business'..!
Some cities are not business friendly. They chose to keep business' out of their communities. Those are called "Bedroom Communities". When you keep the business out, the people pay more property tax to make up for the disparity.
Property tax is paid to the County, and they use a formula to return a percentage back to the city.
If a city builds a new building, they will float a bond. People buy the bonds and get paid interest until the building is paid for. City bonds are tax free, so you may get less interest on them, but they are guaranteed and you don't pay interest on the money earned, making them very attractive, and easy to sell.
New city building would have no bearing on what you pay on taxes, that is determined on the value of your home or property.
Federal taxes are paid to the government, and a percentage is returned to the states.
Larger cities will receive more money because they have a larger population paying into the tax base.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:18 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Can this be fixed? Is your example true or did u just make it up for an example?

That come directly from stats quoted by Bush Sr and B. Clinton who are pushing for more to go to the poor. Its unlikely to be fixed as it takes the congresss and they basically get all they can for their state or district.More voters in the large cities means more money for thier poor .Cities do not get all thier money from sales and property tax. look into the federal funding that goes to city and even rural areas such as CGBG money. Then their ius the children heal;th in surance that even covers many adults in some states;the numerous grants;the welafre funding SSI etc.At one time in the 60's new york actually got back $1.65 cents for every dollar it sent to the feds.That is the politics of federal money but has changed as power shifts have in the country.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:47 AM

7,475 posts, read 19,565,214 times
One more example of texdav not having a clue about what he writes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics