Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:04 AM

327 posts, read 965,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
A Teacher's Union for a school district very close to us has agreed to freeze any salary increases for THREE YEARS ... hmmmmmmmmm. Imagine that?
Teachers,yes,those people who help our children better themselves,who make soooo much less than those line workers with the UAW are willing to not have any salary increases for 3 years to help their budget...
They have also agreed to add 4 furlough days to their contracts... that means-4 OTHER days they won't get paid for.
Although not as severe, we, too, agreed to a salary freeze at our university for the upcoming fiscal year to help with budget constraints. We are not represented by a union.

Quote:
Can't imagine the UAW EVER agreeing to anything like this
UAW members recently ratified a modified version of the 2007 contract eliminating performance bonuses of 4% and pay (3%) for 2009-10. COL increases have been eliminated until 2015. (Detroit Free Press)

Quote:
Glad to see they gave up their Easter Monday though-what a shame

This is correct. Easter Monday is no longer a paid holiday. Additional concessions include reduced health care benefits, loss of overtime compensation as it applies to specific situations of the work week and holidays, work rules changes. Reduction of benefits to include both active and retired members. (Detroit Free Press)

BTW - appreciated your expression of sympathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 06:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,904,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
Although not as severe, we, too, agreed to a salary freeze at our university for the upcoming fiscal year to help with budget constraints. We are not represented by a union.

UAW members recently ratified a modified version of the 2007 contract eliminating performance bonuses of 4% and pay (3%) for 2009-10. COL increases have been eliminated until 2015. (Detroit Free Press)

This is correct. Easter Monday is no longer a paid holiday. Additional concessions include reduced health care benefits, loss of overtime compensation as it applies to specific situations of the work week and holidays, work rules changes. Reduction of benefits to include both active and retired members. (Detroit Free Press)

BTW - appreciated your expression of sympathy.
What were the dates of the articles you cite? I saw a UAW letter about 2 days ago that did not list any of the concessions you claim.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:46 AM

327 posts, read 965,251 times
Jim J:

Thanks for catching my shoddy reference work! It was very late when I posted. The Detroit Free Press posted a link to a pdf for the UAW modified 2007 contract. I don't remember the exact date, but I believe that the contract was ratified within the last ten days. In addition, I was researching the UAW website for information. I am unaware of any UAW letter online, but I will research it. Again, sorry for my lack of clarification. Please feel free to correct me if I have posted in error.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:46 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,872,286 times
more news:
the Obama administration is about to buy 17,600 “fuel efficient vehicles” from The Big 2.8.
Uncle Sam will spend $285 million of the $787 billion stimulus bill to prop up ailing American automakers.

it will be interesting to see who gets the sales......

Old 06-12-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
more news:
the Obama administration is about to buy 17,600 “fuel efficient vehicles†from The Big 2.8.
Uncle Sam will spend $285 million of the $787 billion stimulus bill to prop up ailing American automakers.

it will be interesting to see who gets the sales......
It won't be Ford I will bet you!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:19 PM

975 posts, read 1,750,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It won't be Ford I will bet you!
It better not be. If they use my money to buy from the competition I am going to be to one unhappy camper. It makes no sense at all to own a car company and buy cars from a different company. Something tells me in the infinite stupidity of Washington they'll spread the money around. I sure hope they prove me wrong.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:30 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,870,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
It better not be. If they use my money to buy from the competition I am going to be to one unhappy camper. It makes no sense at all to own a car company and buy cars from a different company. Something tells me in the infinite stupidity of Washington they'll spread the money around. I sure hope they prove me wrong.
They will spread the money around because it will be a political decision and not an economic one. There are plenty of Ford workers out there and workers in Ford dealerships who vote. The Dems already have the votes of the GM & Chrysler workers because they bailed them out. They will not put the votes of Ford workers at risk for the sake of a couple of hundred million.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:50 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,603,039 times
To tell you the truth I have owned fors and GM trucks and always preferred the Gm trucks. But I would thin that in cars Ford has it all over GM these days.Ford also has the strongest fleet sales now ;so we will see who gets the contracts.Chrysler really failed at fleet sales when they had so many polcie vehicles that the frontends fell apart.Many olice depts decided to croos offf chrysler after not getting satisfactory recall repairs.Ford fixed the gas tank erution on the police cars quickly but they didn't on the consumer vehicles on crown Vic's. Gm had truble when they first started in fleet police cars with teh permanentlty lubed and sealed front wheel bearings but corrected that.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:27 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,872,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
uh, ford employs american workers.....

Old 06-13-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
uh, ford employs american workers.....
And the UAW...
The only thing is they're not under the thumb of the government (yet) same as the last depression so I'm wondering if the govt will cut them out of any supply deals like they did with Henry Ford when he refused to lower his workers wages to what the government wanted.
Now there's an interesting thought..... What if the car czar keeps feeding GM and Chrysler so much money and orders that it forces Ford to file BK and come to the govt for bailout money, then the govt (and the UAW) would own all the auto companies... Hmmmmm....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics