U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 05:26 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,788,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I know virtually no one that works until they are no longer able regardless of how happy they are with their life.

Fewer and fewer people have any real control of retiring on their terms -- companies of all sizes and prominence vanish in the most unexpected way having devastating effects on employees.

Shifts in the economy make even the most successful / resilient entrepreneurs have little certainty in their income.

Shall we say, "shifts happen" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 07:23 PM

12,476 posts, read 16,974,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I'm not waiting to do anything. I take vacations and do alot of things that if i had a business I might not have the time to do.
I'm not speaking about you in particular, I don't know you after all.

I'm not suggesting that everyone that is saving for retirement is X,Y,Z. Rather I'm suggesting the idea of retirement in the modern world is a bit odd and outdated.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:34 PM

9,113 posts, read 15,302,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Rather I'm suggesting the idea of retirement in the modern world is a bit odd and outdated.
Is it really? How so? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm curious to hear why you feel that way...?

I've never heard of that before....

Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 PM

5,554 posts, read 5,868,866 times
Quote:
I find the concept of retirement fundamentally odd. Why exactly would someone want to "retire" at some specified age? The way people look forward to and plan for retirement seems to indicate that the mass of people are not really happy with their lives. If they were, why would there be a desire to retire from it?

Personally, I don't save much for retirement. I have no plans to retire. What little I do save is for the fact that at some point I may not be able to physically do much. But that only requires a few years of living costs.
I don't quite know what you mean. Most people push themselves to work everyday, and when they retire, they actually find the happiness they've always wished for but couldn't have. I don't think many people are happy with their working lives, and the lives they love are cut short by two-day weekends - catching up with what they couldn't do during the week and obligations to others - families, etc.

I know someone who lived for his work and is miserable. Had he not put all his eggs in one basket and took time out to balance his life with other activities, he'd be a much happier person now as opposed to his friends. One fulfilled a lifetime dream: Buying an RV and touring the whole US; one started a theater company; one retired to his vacation home where he always wanted to be. It was in this time of their lives that they followed their passions - a passion they never could get from their jobs because they felt the responsibility of providing for a family.

Only five percent of the working people are happy in their jobs. If you read some of the posts on the Retirement Forum you will see what people do and how much happier they are. They, for the first time, are in a position to do the things they've always longed to do - it's an extremely magical time, and most of the time it doesn't take all that much money. Some people just like to smell the roses and relax and feel fulfilled from that. I think they're the lucky ones as they don't need too much from outside of themselves to be content. You don't have to be so very busy to have a long life. All things being equal, the stress quotient is much less, thereby leading a healthier existence leading which could lead to a longer life than the A type personalities who die before their time.

Last edited by Aylalou; 06-02-2009 at 07:54 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Is it really? How so? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm curious to hear why you feel that way...?
I have already largely suggested why I think this. Its outdated in the sense that the nature of most people's work has changed a lot over the last few decades. The majority of people do not work in factories doing hard labor, they work on a chair in an office. The work can just as easily be done when they are old vs young. On the other hand hard labor starts to become more difficult after you get into your 60's. That is to say, nothing physically necessities retirement. But then what exactly is the point of back-loading all your "work free years"? You don't know when you'll die, so wouldn't it make more sense to take time off throughout your life rather than to back load it all to when you are old?

The concept is also built around the idea that one learns a trade when they are young and does that trade until retirement. But this is not longer a particularly successful strategy. Many will find it necessary to retrain later in life, but this will often require you to "retire" for a few years. Would be great if you could actually use your retirement funds for such periods.

Also, as I mentioned in the original post the concept is old for anybody that really enjoys what they do and/or can always think of something enjoyable to do for employment.

I have no problem with the idea of saving a bit for when you are infirm and elderly, but that is not what traditional retirement is all about. It takes significantly less savings.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I don't quite know what you mean. Most people push themselves to work everyday, and when they retire, they actually find the happiness they've always wished for but couldn't have.
Idea of having to "push yourself to work everyday" and wait until retirement (which may never come) to find happiness is rather miserable sounding.

Obviously, for some its a reality. But they should work harder to find happiness today, tomorrow may never come.

Quote:
One fulfilled a lifetime dream: Buying an RV and touring the whole US; one started a theater company; one retired to his vacation home where he always wanted to be...
Why wait to do your dreams?

Quote:
Only five percent of the working people are happy in their jobs. If you read some of the posts on the Retirement Forum you will see what people do and how much happier they are. They, for the first time, are in a position to do the things they've always longed to do...
I'm not trying to imply most people are happy with their working lives, the truth is the opposite. But why settle and dream for retirement? Why not try and make your life better now? I really don't understand that way of thinking... I can't care about retirement, because as far as I'm concerned I'm already retired.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:33 PM

16,701 posts, read 18,921,823 times
Quote:
I find the concept of retirement fundamentally odd. Why exactly would someone want to "retire" at some specified age? The way people look forward to and plan for retirement seems to indicate that the mass of people are not really happy with their lives. If they were, why would there be a desire to retire from it?

Personally, I don't save much for retirement. I have no plans to retire. What little I do save is for the fact that at some point I may not be able to physically do much. But that only requires a few years of living costs.
Do you want to work all your life? Some people would like to work when they "feel" like it... but what job would offer you that kind of package? The alternative is to retire... at that age, I don't want to be UNDER somebody and I don't want to be laboring every day either... I guess enjoying your life by traveling, visiting, going out, etc. etc. is too much for you... it's completely FINE for me... Heck, I retire now if the government gave me $10 million tax free... and I suppose you would say no cause you rather show up, labor for eight hours, and then go home...

Old 06-02-2009, 08:36 PM

9,113 posts, read 15,302,942 times
Quote:
Why not try and make your life better now? I really don't understand that way of thinking... I can't care about retirement, because as far as I'm concerned I'm already retired.

I support my family every day. My kids (hopefully) will live a better life thanks to the values and clothes/shelter I provide them every day. I also will have money later in life when I have the time to travel and pursue different things (because I LIVE WITHIN MY MEANS).

Life is EXTREMELY good right now! There isn't any "backloading" as you call it.

Why are you having difficulty understanding that?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
.. I guess enjoying your life by traveling, visiting, going out, etc. etc. is too much for you... it's completely FINE for me...
I do things things now. I'm not going to wait until I'm an old fart to enjoy myself.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I support my family every day. My kids (hopefully) will live a better life thanks to the values and clothes/shelter I provide them every day.
Saving for retirement has little to do with supporting your family, it is allowing you to at some arbitrary age to stop working.

Quote:
I also will have money later in life when I have the time to travel and pursue different things (because I LIVE WITHIN MY MEANS).
Why not travel and pursue "different things" now?

Quote:
Life is EXTREMELY good right now! There isn't any "backloading" as you call it.
Then why retire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics