U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:59 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,429,860 times

Advertisements

I am happy I am not fundalmental.Those who thnik that work is their life that is fine because they are amoung those that wouldn't know what to do anyway since that is their being. But most epople i know have thngs they want to do in retirement.I figure it 's like race car drivers;some don't know when to call it quits until they are forced to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 10:08 PM

9,113 posts, read 15,351,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

Why not travel and pursue "different things" now? ?
I do a little...

Quote:
Then why retire?

This concept has worked extremely well for my parents. Did exactly what Im telling you and they are the happiest they've been in their life becuase they have FREEDOM! I've seen what happens when people "live for the moment" and can't save a dime....there is no free lunch.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:09 PM

5,554 posts, read 5,886,850 times
Quote:
Idea of having to "push yourself to work everyday" and wait until retirement (which may never come) to find happiness is rather miserable sounding.

Obviously, for some its a reality. But they should work harder to find happiness today, tomorrow may never come.

Why wait to do your dreams?

I'm not trying to imply most people are happy with their working lives, the truth is the opposite. But why settle and dream for retirement? Why not try and make your life better now? I really don't understand that way of thinking... I can't care about retirement, because as far as I'm concerned I'm already retired.
You don't have a family of children to raise and support? That limits one's choices in the world of work; however, those that have children chose to have them and would prefer the rewards that come from raising them to the rewards of a "job." What an empty life that would be for many. I'll take the rewards of relationships over a job any day.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:28 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,034,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
This concept has worked extremely well for my parents. Did exactly what Im telling you and they are the happiest they've been in their life becuase they have FREEDOM! I've seen what happens when people "live for the moment" and can't save a dime....there is no free lunch.
The world you are going to work in and raise your family in is much different than your parents, that should be obvious. What worked for them may or may not work for you. I really don't understand why people look so much to the past, when so many things have changed.

Also, I have not suggested once people should not save. I'm only talking about retirement and its associated savings. Having savings, owning your house free and clear, only using debt strategically, etc are important regardless of whatever you buy into the idea of traditional retirement or not.

There are in fact free lunches all over the place, you just need to find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
You don't have a family of children to raise and support? That limits one's choices in the world of work;.
I don't think having kids vs not having kids is an important issue here. You can do what you want and have kids too. Of course, you should probably be a little more risk adverse if you have kids, but still children should not prevent you from doing what you want in life.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:44 PM

5,554 posts, read 5,886,850 times
For many, wanting to have kids in one's life means that a person wants the kids (the family) to be their focus until the kids are grown and ready to go off on their own. I think you do not have kids which means you absolutely cannot talk from that viewpoint. You would be thinking entirely differently if you really wanted and loved your kids which means giving them your time and attention. You've obviously led a somewhat charmed life until now. Don't count on that continuing for the rest of your life, though. You really don't have as much control as you seem to think you do, and I think you're quite young and naive.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:50 PM

985 posts, read 2,307,648 times
Quote:
Idea of having to "push yourself to work everyday" and wait until retirement (which may never come) to find happiness is rather miserable sounding.

Obviously, for some its a reality. But they should work harder to find happiness today, tomorrow may never come.

Why wait to do your dreams?

I'm not trying to imply most people are happy with their working lives, the truth is the opposite. But why settle and dream for retirement? Why not try and make your life better now? I really don't understand that way of thinking... I can't care about retirement, because as far as I'm concerned I'm already retired.
User_ID, I thought you said you weren't implying that they should "just work harder?"

Old 06-02-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I think you do not have kids which means you absolutely cannot talk from that viewpoint. You would be thinking entirely differently....plus you've obviously led a somewhat charmed life until now. Don't count on that continuing for the rest of your life, though. You really don't have as much control as you seem to think you do, and I think you're quite young and naive.
Whether I have kids or not is not relevant. I'm talking about retirement as its traditionally understood in American society.

Charmed life? Give a break, you know nothing about me. And now I'm "young and naive". Why bother with this sort of stuff? Its vacuous. I have stated what I thought, if you have an argument against it state your case. Pretending to know about my life and trying to insult me is a waste of time though.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
User_ID, I thought you said you weren't implying that they should "just work harder?"
Ugh, I said work harder towards happiness. Not just "work harder" in some general empty sense. Accepting a less than ideal life now while dreaming about the "good times" when you retire makes little sense to me.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:17 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,387,453 times
Quote:
No, this is not what I'm implying at all. I'm implying that the basis of retirement is that one does not truly enjoy their work. If you do enjoy it, then the concept of retirement is rather vacuous.
Why is "the basis of retirement is that one does not truly enjoy their work?" Some people just want to travel all the time without schedules, which doesn't work well with normal work schedules. Other times, the things people enjoy wouldn't be financially supporting unless they had saved money.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:22 PM

985 posts, read 2,307,648 times
Quote:
Ugh, I said work harder towards happiness. Not just "work harder" in some general empty sense. Accepting a less than ideal life now while dreaming about the "good times" when you retire makes little sense to me.
In this entire thread you're equating happiness to job satisfaction. You are implying that if one just works harder then they'll be able to do their dream job. What I and others have been saying is that some people do not have the luxury to "work harder towards happiness" by your definition of happiness. People get stuck in bad situations doing crappy jobs, sometimes, it's not as simple as your trying to make it. Sometimes people have to "accept a less then ideal life" for reasons that are out of their control. And I think we've already been over the fact that not everyone can do their dream job, you just seem to like ignoring it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics