U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:51 AM

12,476 posts, read 17,055,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
you've said that if she can't figure out how to get out of her situation then that she must be unintelligent.
There is little point in talking about this, you don't even know the complete story. I highly doubt you've looked at their finances with a pencil and paper.

But yes, I did say that and I believe it. Its a conditional. Part of being intelligent is being able to solve problems. She has a problem, where is the solution? I have no idea what she's done or what she is thinking of doing, that is why I made a conditional statement instead of saying out-right that she is unintelligent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 07:59 AM

985 posts, read 2,309,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
There is little point in talking about this, you don't even know the complete story. I highly doubt you've looked at their finances with a pencil and paper.

But yes, I did say that and I believe it. Its a conditional. Part of being intelligent is being able to solve problems. She has a problem, where is the solution? I have no idea what she's done or what she is thinking of doing, that is why I made a conditional statement instead of saying out-right that she is unintelligent.
Fine and dandy, I'll let it go, just please don't sit there and say you weren't judging her when you obviously were. And fyi, I'm not saying she isn't unintelligent, she could be a moron for all I know lol, I've never seen her IQ test scores. I'm just saying I don't know how smart she is, regardless of the outcome of her situation, and neither do you.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:21 AM

18,452 posts, read 18,752,329 times
"My question is if you are truly happy with your life why would you want to retire from it?"

One thing you may not be figuring in is that some people recognize that they enjoy different things at different times in their life.
While one may be content with their lifestyle at any particular moment, that doesn't mean that changes of circumstances won't mean they will enjoy something quite different later.
Traditional may work well for them.....if you desire something different, fine....go for it . But that is no reason to think others are somehow foolish for doing what you think is backwards or old fashioned or senseless.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 AM

2,193 posts, read 4,465,267 times
Quote:
My point is that people should always try to have a enjoyable and pleasant life and not put off things "for retirement".
I totall agree with your sentiments. I think it's silly to put off things for retirement and be dreaming about retiring.
In my case, my dad died at 48 and mom at 55. There was no retirement.
Seems kind of pointless to wait till 60 when you may not live till then. Same thing happened with my FIL. He retired, then got cancer and died a year later. And my MIL now who is 60, is I guess 'retired' but has lots of trouble walking due to her knees.

My husband and I work contract work, so it's easy to have time off to just relax and/or travel. I wish/should do more of it than I do.
I would love to do what you had mentioned before, work 2-3 years and travel for a year.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:22 AM

14,253 posts, read 14,854,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I totall agree with your sentiments. I think it's silly to put off things for retirement and be dreaming about retiring.
In my case, my dad died at 48 and mom at 55. There was no retirement.
Seems kind of pointless to wait till 60 when you may not live till then. Same thing happened with my FIL. He retired, then got cancer and died a year later. And my MIL now who is 60, is I guess 'retired' but has lots of trouble walking due to her knees.

My husband and I work contract work, so it's easy to have time off to just relax and/or travel. I wish/should do more of it than I do.
I would love to do what you had mentioned before, work 2-3 years and travel for a year.
I gave my one years notice of early retirement on Monday. My wife and I did the numbers over the weekend and it works. We were heavily influenced in our decision by the recent death of a friend at the aage of 53. His biggest regret was that he would not get to spend his retirement with his wife.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
One thing you may not be figuring in is that some people recognize that they enjoy different things at different times in their life.....But that is no reason to think others are somehow foolish for doing what you think is backwards or old fashioned or senseless.
Sure people can enjoy a number of things. But still I wonder, why if someone enjoys their life now would they want to retire from it? Also, assuming the person equally enjoys both and would like to do both then I don't think it makes much sense to back-load the retirement. It may never come! If you actually knew how long you'd live then this would not be an issue, you can say "Hey I'll work for 30 years and retire for 20". But you can't, so assuming you'd like to pursue both then back-loading the retirement does not make much sense.

In this sense I'm talking about two issues 1.) Why someone would want to retire if they enjoyed their work, 2.) How traditional retirement is based on having a normal lifespan, something which may or may not occur. You addressed 1.), perhaps someone would enjoy both equally and want to do both, but then that begs 2.).

Also, I'm not calling anybody foolish or anything else. I'm just talking about why I think traditional notion of retirement is a bit odd. In some sense its a gamble, those that are planning for traditional retirement are gambling on living long enough to enjoy it. I prefer to not make such a gamble.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Yeah, I just started to think this way a few years ago. Since then we've made some sacrifices to get our financial cards in better order (basically pay off all debt and have improved savings) and work towards organizing our lives in such a way where we can do retirement like activities today rather than in 30 years.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:18 PM

18,452 posts, read 18,752,329 times
Quote:
. In some sense its a gamble, those that are planning for traditional retirement are gambling on living long enough to enjoy it. I prefer to not make such a gamble.
What you say is true....however it also applies each and every day.
It's all a gamble so all there is to go by are the odds.
All your plans on doing things sooner could be 'too late already' by the time I finish typing this
As I said before, people that take calculated risks earn it if it works out for them.I certainly can hope that for you

Old 06-03-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What you say is true....however it also applies each and every day.
It's all a gamble so all there is to go by are the odds.
All your plans on doing things sooner could be 'too late already' by the time I finish typing this
I'm still here! But, yes it applies to every day. But I think there is a happy middle ground between being a complete "live in the moment" hedonist and a putting everything off. I think traditional retirement goes to far from the "middle path", just as not saving and living only for the moment does in the other direction.

You should not sacrifice your current self too much for your future self and you should not *********r future self too much for your current self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics