Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 05:02 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,861,191 times

Advertisements

http://www.marketskeptics.com/2009/0...g-growing.html

TORONTO (Reuters) - Big banks are executing an increasing percentage of U.S. stock trades within their own walls, capitalizing on the credit crisis and enticing the most active traders away from the traditional exchanges.

"Dark pools," where orders are anonymously matched so that traders do not alert the wider market to their intentions, have triggered concerns that stock pricing may not be transparent.

But the growth of those run by broker-dealers such as Goldman Sachs and Credit Suisse are squeezing other "dark" electronic trading venues, as well as exchanges, resulting in lower fees. [When everyone tries to be a crook, being a crook becomes less profitable).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 12:02 AM

975 posts, read 1,749,422 times
Dark pools are nothing new.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:09 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,861,191 times
of course they are not new, but they are growing in size and scope.
Last week, NYSE Euronext urged the SEC to examine the impact of the early looks at some U.S. venues [TRANSLATION: NYSE Euronext to SEC, "do your job"]. But without new regulation, bank-sponsored dark pools will continue to swell [TRANSLATION: As long as there is no penalty or risk for insider trading, more and more firms will engage in it], said Rosenblatt's Schack.

"Most brokers want to execute trades as quickly and cheaply as possible," he said. "I don't know that we've reached the limit because there are some firms with big equity businesses out there that still haven't maximized the potential to internalize orders in their dark pools." [I am really, DEEPLY disturbed every time I read such comments in the mainstream media. Here is an example to explain how bothered I am: Imagine if a company starts offering a riskless and anonymous way to kill other people, a means to murder with zero risk of getting caught. Now imagine someone else raving how wonderful this is and hoping that more firms start offering this option. What exactly am I supposed to make of that person? Does he lack any concept of ethics? Or is he a complete idiot?]

there was an interesting warning about dark pools in 2008:
http://www.moneymorning.com/2008/07/10/dark-pools/there are a few "realities" we can count upon.

As you might expect, not all of them are good.

Let’s look at the top three:

First, as more volume moves to the so-called Dark Pools, the very notion of what constitutes "public pricing" becomes suspect. Practically speaking, if we’re seeing only 50% of the trading volume in a given stock, who’s to say that the pricing we’re seeing is accurate if the other half remains a mystery.
Second, the small- and mid-cap stocks that for so long have been the domain of smaller investors will likely become harder to trade. The reason: Dark Pools will absorb the liquidity that’s presently out in the open, just as a "black hole" in outer space sucks in all the matter that’s nearby. The net effect could be that smaller transactions become more inefficient, or that public pricing actually disconnects from private pricing. Either way, individual investors may not get the best possible prices.
Third, you can bet regulators will get interested if there is even a whiff of impropriety at the expense of smaller investors who perceive (and rightly so) that they are being "locked out" of the markets by the big boys yet again. On the other hand, maybe those regulators don’t care at all.

Last edited by floridasandy; 06-08-2009 at 05:20 AM..

Old 06-08-2009, 07:25 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,616,835 times
How else would JP Morgan Chase be trading at a P/E of 61?

you'll have to excuse me, I've been burned by FAZ lately.

Last edited by le roi; 06-08-2009 at 07:39 AM..

Old 06-08-2009, 10:51 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,662,497 times
And people wonder why I am predicting another stock crash this October. Whether in nominal terms or by inflation it will happen.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:18 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,841,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
And people wonder why I am predicting another stock crash this October. Whether in nominal terms or by inflation it will happen.
Rick I believe your prediction and think it is going to be here before October. The higher the price of fuel, the sooner it will come. When people have less after tax income in their pockets, they will buy less chocolate and more bread. When bread get too expensive and people can't afford it because they are unemployed things will get ugly.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:24 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,989,538 times
Got your ammo horde ready?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:29 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,841,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Got your ammo horde ready?
I have heard people mention arms a lot lately. Who would they be defending themselves from, the government, their neighbors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics