Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 01:57 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times

Advertisements

Six Flags, a Gates investment, seeks Chapter 11 - Puget Sound Business Journal (Seattle):
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 07:31 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times
Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist, but isn't it odd that large financial firms like Citigroup and Barclays own such large shares of this company? An "amusement park"? Where you go to amuse boredom and distract yourself from everyday banalities/problems? I'm just sayin'....

Old 06-14-2009, 03:32 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,991 times
The two SixFlags parks that our family have ever been to are nothing to right home about! The one in GA is simply old and worn out, in a crime ridden part of ATL and should have been shuttered years ago. The one here in OH is decent, but not worth the $$$ IMO.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:57 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
The guy that runs Six Flags also runs (& owns) the Washington Redskins....with about as much success.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:06 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
We had season passes to a Six Flags in MA last year, my kids and I. We got them quite inexpensively, luckily. Going anytime in the summer was a nightmare. The lines are ridiculously long and slow.

I enjoyed the park most in the fall. We could go there on a Friday after school, spend the evening there, and hardly wait for anything. The visits we had in October made the passes worthwhile, and I would have purchased them again this year but unfortunately DS is at that height where he is too short to get on the good rides and sick of the rides he can get on.

So, we are passing on them this year.

I am not surprised about the bankruptcy though. My god, the place costs an arm and a leg to spend the day. I mean really, is it necessary to charge over $10 for a couple chicken tenders and fries? and a few dollars for a bottle of water? You can spend money there right and left and it's just disgusting.

Greed is what I call it.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:21 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Any amusement park is like that with the prices. Yeah, you really have to be careful what you spend there. They are fun though, those lines are killer. Disney has it down with that fast-pass thingie. I think that they have something like that at six flags but they charge for it. (does that sound right?) My kids go, I don't (too busy working).
Actually a few years ago we went to kings island in cincinnati. Really nicely run, clean park.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:46 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Waiting in long lines in the heat to ride some cheesy rides, way overpriced food and drinks, all kinds of concessions in the park that cost even more money after you've already plopped down some ridiculous amount just to go in?

I say let them all fold. For the same amount of money you can go camping or to a day at the beach with your kids, something REAL and a lot more worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics