Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:17 PM

146 posts, read 520,365 times

Advertisements

I know that it is not ever going to work but wouldnt it be nice if the economy would do like this. Everyone is not spending money cause they dont have a job but no ones hiring cause no one is spending money. So why dont companies just hire alot of people and lose a little bit of money for a little while then everyone who got hired will start to spend. I know it will never work but wouldnt it be cool if it was this easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:49 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
nm

Old 06-21-2009, 07:53 AM

No offense, but this sounds like a 3rd graders response to fix our economy.

In your scenerio many companies would go out of business and to put that in simple terms, that's why it would never happen.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:08 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
No offense, but this sounds like a 3rd graders response to fix our economy.

In your scenerio many companies would go out of business and to put that in simple terms, that's why it would never happen.
Maybe the original posters idea wasn't great, but at least they are trying to think of something. What is your idea?

Old 06-21-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Maybe the original posters idea wasn't great, but at least they are trying to think of something. What is your idea?
I'm sorry I didn't know we were on the happy feelings board.

I never said I had the fix to our economy. My hope is that capitalist ideals will get us through this crisis. I just don't think bigger government will or ever has solved anything.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:42 PM

5,474 posts, read 6,290,008 times
At least he's coming up with something besides having the government spend more and more billions that we don't have. The economists will never agree with me, but the best way to fix this COUNTRY is for us to STOP spending as much as we have been, pay off our debts, and save a bunch of money. Say what you want, but it's done my family a world of good. I don't care what any of the so called experts say, but a country full of citizens with no debt and large savings account balances would be much stronger than a nation full of people burdened by major debt.

Government spending and stimulus may make the short term picture a little more rosey, but a return to a "pay-as-you-go", savings oriented population (AND GOVT) is the only real LONG TERM fix for the mess we are in today. My fear is that it is too late, and will never happen because a transformation like this would cause way to much short term pain, and unfortunately, our politicians, and the country as a whole, no longer have the will to sacrifice for the long term.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:43 PM

64 posts, read 208,838 times
We need more stuff we can sell the rest of the world, not just cheap plastic stuff, but actual value for value stuff. And other countries need to do the same. I may be speaking of some future mature global economy where every participating nation keeps a balanced trade scenario. Oh, and costs of entitlements and conflicts and non-man-made disasters will be wild cards too.

I was thinking this past week that maybe the earth can only handle so many people and we have surpassed the limit based upon current resource allocation and economy strengths. Basically, huge growing pains are about us and this is a Darwinian stage and that is all. The strong survive is what I am surmising and there is no quantitative easing or green shoots to buffer that.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:04 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegiant View Post
So why dont companies just hire alot of people and lose a little bit of money for a little while then everyone who got hired will start to spend.
Sounds like the General Motors and Chrysler former business models .

Old 06-21-2009, 09:30 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
If we can reduce the size of Government, its parasitic influence will no longer be draining the productive economy. Once the non-productive are cut off from their revenue, the rest of us can build a new competitive economy. However, as long as Government exerts its Fascist influence on industry, failure is guaranteed.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:36 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Actually, the OP's reasoning is a simplification of what the government is doing as we speak. Its basic Keynesian policy. You cure a general glut by spending, but since you can't control what businesses do you increase government spending. This will increase employment and increase aggregate demand throughout the economy.

In short your reasoning is not 3rd grade at all, its right along the lines of Keynesianism. Nice to see someone actually thinking about the economy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics