Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:01 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The H1B program requires companies to pay the same wages as they would to an American employee.

People seem to have a hard time dealing with the idea that general unemployment could be high, while there is a short supply of labor in a particular area. It could very well be the case that there is not enough qualified folks in the area to do the work.

No it has not. US companies need to have the ability to hire top talent from the global, not just the US. It would hurt American industry if a company could not hire experts from other countries.
What proof do you have that Americans can't perform the responsibilities required by U.S. companies? Lets fact it, U.S. companies hire Indian workers because they are cheap to hire. I can only wonder what kind of impact this is going to have on the nation's economy. Still who cares. When the economy falls there will be plenty of time for people to point fingers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsymptoticFaery View Post
I agree with this. Let's say I want to be sponsored for a job in Canada. I must meet a pretty high requirement in order to be strongly considered as a sponsor candidate when the company could hold out longer and try to find someone local for the position. I must be very skilled and very good at what I do. I can't just be anyone with the minimum amount of skills required. I must fulfill a very particular role that is hard to find in Canada overall, especially that province.
I may have agreed with this awhile back. But in my experience as of late, this is nonsense. The so called 'top talent' from other countries are being replaced by new ones from there also.

I have several Indian and Phillipino friends/colleagues from my previous company and my present company who have been let go. They have been replaced by new Indians and/or new offshore resources. I just don't see how it can be looked at any other way than corporations solely looking at the bottom line. It has nothing to do with searching for top talent.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:04 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Lets fact it, U.S. companies hire Indian workers because they are cheap to hire.
H1B workers have to be paid what you'd pay a US employee.

There is not a big incentive for a company to bring in H1B workers if they don't really need them. Its much easier getting someone from the local work force and they don't have to be worried about their visa expiring etc.

Most of the abuse I've heard of is from smaller companies creating fake positions to get people here legally.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
H1B workers have to be paid what you'd pay a US employee.

There is not a big incentive for a company to bring in H1B workers if they don't really need them. Its much easier getting someone from the local work force and they don't have to be worried about their visa expiring etc.

Most of the abuse I've heard of is from smaller companies creating fake positions to get people here legally.
Who say they do? Isn't this a capitalist economic system where by supply and demand judges the rate of pay? Well unemployment is reaching 10% by the government's report. Many say it's much high. What difference does it matter now? It already done and it’s going to get worse. Isn’t this the time to tell me that moving our jobs offshore and brining in foreign workers is a good thing? Even Roman fell apart so why not the U.S.?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Who say they do? Isn't this a capitalist economic system where by supply and demand judges the rate of pay? Well unemployment is reaching 10% by the government's report. Many say it's much high. What difference does it matter now? It already done and it’s going to get worse. Isn’t this the time to tell me that moving our jobs offshore and brining in foreign workers is a good thing? Even Roman fell apart so why not the U.S.?
stac2007, a true capitalist is all about money and resource and profit.
A true capitalist just follows the smell of profit.
A true capitalist has no allegiance to any country, state, population.
There is no emotional side to a true capitalist.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:40 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
it is not right to generalize about capitalists. there are good capitalists who treat workers like their own family and there are some corporate capitalists who would sell out any worker if cheaper labor could be obtained. do you remember this story:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29555727/
a company shared 9 million dollars in profit with their workers. one happy worker said 'We're fortunate to have great bosses.'

Old 07-02-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
stac2007, a true capitalist is all about money and resource and profit.
A true capitalist just follows the smell of profit.
A true capitalist has no allegiance to any country, state, population.
There is no emotional side to a true capitalist.
True my friend. If it weren't so many people right how would not be suffering economically.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it is not right to generalize about capitalists. there are good capitalists who treat workers like their own family and there are some corporate capitalists who would sell out any worker if cheaper labor could be obtained. do you remember this story:Company shares $9 million with workers - Giving- msnbc.com
a company shared 9 million dollars in profit with their workers. one happy worker said 'We're fortunate to have great bosses.'
floridasandy, of course you are right. I'm sorry if my post came off as "ALL".
Small/medium businesses are probably good capitalists.
Big multinationals though don't even know their workers..you're nothing more than an employee number in some computer.

Right now though the big ones seem to be calling the shots and getting their way.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:22 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Who say they do? Isn't this a capitalist economic system where by supply and demand judges the rate of pay?
These people have to file returns, so its not difficult to track their wages. They must be paid the same as US wagers, its part of the requirements of the H1B visa program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it is not right to generalize about capitalists. there are good capitalists who treat workers like their own family and there are some corporate capitalists who would sell out any worker if cheaper labor could be obtained. do you remember this story:Company shares $9 million with workers - Giving- msnbc.com
This does not conflict with the idea of a selfish capitalist. It may very well be in the best interest of the business owners to pay out bonuses. It may be worried about losing key employees, it may be worried about employees running off creating businesses that compete with them, etc.

Of course, some business owner may just like giving away money. But usually its done to ultimately increase profits.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:22 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
Quote:
These people have to file returns, so its not difficult to track their wages. They must be paid the same as US wagers, its part of the requirements of the H1B visa program.
Actually yes it's true. When companies hire H1Bs directly they pay them the US wage. However the few who I've known were given Jr positions or entry level positions when they were qualified for Sr positions. Most jumped ship once they got their green cards for higher pay.

Maybe these people deserved the lesser position and the company was right in their offer. I don't know. But from their perspective they felt they were worth more money and a more senior position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics