Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:44 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,356,425 times

Advertisements

The news this morning: Boeing has bought Vought in South Carolina for roughly $1 billion.

Boeing news | Key lawmakers warn of Boeing no-strike ultimatum | Seattle Times Newspaper

Here's a great editorial from a former Midwesterner who now lives in Seattle:

Danny Westneat | Don't let Boeing slip away | Seattle Times Newspaper

He makes a point about Boeing leaving and why WA needs to prevent that.

It's stiff competition ... Washington is a blue collar union state and SC is a right-to-work state. Cost of labor there is likely much less than here.

And having another 787 line in SC so close to a major manufacturer makes sense - saves on fuel in having to fly a HUGE section of the plane nearly 2,000 miles from one corner of the USA to the other. Also, it brings technical know-how in a materials tech - composites - to the table (they already have extensive knowledge in application of composites in military tech, but restrictive technology transfer rules prohibit using that well of deep knowledge). Finally, it brings a troubled supplier in and prevents another large aerospace consortium - EADS - from investing in an otherwise ripe target.

Last, but certainly not least, is Boeing will have listened to their customers. They are screaming bloody murder for the strike last fall and I don't blame them. Boeing has developed a caustic relationship with their labor unions, and there's merit to both sides and their issues. The strike cost Boeing $2 billion. That could have built a new factory in SC no problem, WITHOUT the worry about future strikes and having a smooth supply chain.

He also makes a good point that not only Seattle, but other towns around here, are sorely lacking in insight as to what is a real priority - keeping WA state competitive. Instead we're focusing on ... plastic bag taxes ... and shopping carts ... . All will be for naught if THE biggest employer in the region ups and puts a shoe in the door somewhere else.

It's funny in a perverse sort of way ... a decade ago we were worried about Chinese and Indians taking our jobs. Now it's ... Southern USA'ers.

On a personal note, as an engineer working for Boeing and living in the Pacific NW, I would say this... economically, for me, it makes a LOT more sense if I were to live in SC since a salary of $75,000 goes a LOT longer there and in King County or Snohomish County, where average salaries are to the tune of $50-77k. Home prices are MUCH cheaper there. And if lots of highly skilled and knowledgable people move into the area, schools will improve and other businesses will spring up.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Seattle area. The nature is beautiful, the town is lively, and highly educated, and the quality of life is wonderful. But leaders in WA will be sorely mistaken if they think I am in an unstoppable love affair with it.

My recommendations for WA leaders and the union:
- Get back to the table with Boeing and start listening again. Be the catalyst for a mutually beneficial working relationship.
- Give up the right to strike for 10 years in exchange for 10 years of employment guarantees and that any additional 787 line is in Everett.
- Lower the tax rate on Boeing for 3 years so they recoup the loss of additional taxes and penalties they have to pay to airlines.
- Boeing promises to design, develop, and build a successor to the 737 in Puget Sound in exchange for lower taxes and incentives for supporting businesses (materials, manufacturing, suppliers, etc) so a mega-site can be located here.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,076 times
Yeah financially it makes sense. But just because it's a right to work state doesn't necessarily mean there will be no unions. Kansas is a right to work but there are unions at every aircraft plant here. It may mean they have less power because workers can cross the line and the only thing they face is a little ridicule from the other workers but it still creates financial issues for the company when they go on strike.

On one hand I'd like to see it happen. I've turned down the possibility of working for Boeing in Seattle several times....I'm just not going to move that far away...nor to a place like Seattle. SC would be closer to my family. And also I'm a Southerner at heart so I'd fit in better...LOL

On the other I really would feel for the folks that would be shafted by the loss of jobs in WA. Boeing wouldn't pay for relo for everybody...no way. And even if they would it's likely going to still be a stretch for some of them. They have houses to sell in a crap housing market and are looking at either staying and trying to find another job or moving at a loss. Either way they lose. For you it may be a good deal because it sounds like you'd be willing to jump....but not everybody is...

Old 07-08-2009, 11:00 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,091 times
The IAM represents Vought at that plant in Charleston, for what it's worth. And it's not like Boeing would just shut down the plant in Everett. IMO this has more to do with having more control over the supply chain with the possibility for more later.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
A Vought product:

Old 07-08-2009, 12:12 PM

Vought has a very long history in aviation.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:44 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,597 times
The good ol Crusader/Corsair lines. LOL That's not the present day Vought. That's like saying current day Boeing made the B-52 (my office). Yeah right. These companies are shells of their more novel past. And their labor behavior is gallactically different than when these case study products were produced.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:10 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
The good ol Crusader/Corsair lines. LOL That's not the present day Vought. That's like saying current day Boeing made the B-52 (my office). Yeah right. These companies are shells of their more novel past. And their labor behavior is gallactically different than when these case study products were produced.

Yeah, I know. Just wanted to show what Vought once was.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Was in a meeting with some Lockheed guys discussing a proposed RFP for an unmanned hypersonic jet that would do a similar job as the SR-71 once did. One guy said, "...well we did it in the 60's so we should be able to do it better today." Another engineer who was a bit older and wiser said, " We did not design the SR-71....your grandfather did."

They went to the moon....we haven't been back since.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Yeah financially it makes sense. But just because it's a right to work state doesn't necessarily mean there will be no unions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
The IAM represents Vought at that plant in Charleston, for what it's worth. And it's not like Boeing would just shut down the plant in Everett. IMO this has more to do with having more control over the supply chain with the possibility for more later.
SC doesn't regulate much; a google search for worker unions only turns up IBEW and Postal in Greenville and for Charleston not many more. As far as I know the state is non-union. It is one reason our wages are still so low but I doubt union will ever be successful in this state. You could always come to our state forum and ask those that are more knowledgeable than I because I could just be confused.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
South Carolina is not "non union" - It is right-to-work.

But yes, there is strong anti-union sentiment there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics