Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 06:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times

Advertisements

Seems they don't like being the "paper tiger" anymore.
Hedging against massive inflation .

Rep. Kirk of Illinois leaks China’s plans to buy $80 billion worth of gold « Commodity Trade Alert.Com

snippet:
"Rep. Kirk of Illinois leaks China’s plan to buy $80 billion worth of gold, to protect it’s massive foreign currency reserves from hyperinfaltion. China is particularily vulenrable to infaltion as governments around the world openly inflate their way out of the “Great Global Recession”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 07:40 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,918,197 times
Outstanding ... that will push the value of my Vrenelis up a bit.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:19 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,860 times
this news may or may not be true, but i would not believe anything that mark kirk said on face value. mark kirk was a crooked GOP who voted for cap and trade. luckily, it looks like he is choosing not to run for the senate seat again. here are the other republicans who were willing to sell our country out
Bono Mack (CA) (202) 225-5330
Castle (DE) (202) 225-4165
Lance (NJ) (202) 225-5361
LoBiondo (NJ) (202) 225-6572
McHugh (NY) (202) 225-4611
Reichert (WA) (202) 225-7761
Smith (NJ) (202) 225-3765

Congrats, congress people, you helped the democrats pass a junk science-based, massive national energy tax and you need to go!

to get back on track, china may very well be buying gold but i think that they consider their gold holdings, which account for about 1.6 percent of its reserves, too small.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:36 PM

209 posts, read 584,975 times
That is a pretty big statement if it is true about China buying that much gold. At current prices that would be more gold that the entire mining output in 2008....for the entire globe.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:32 PM

18,464 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BankREO View Post
That is a pretty big statement if it is true about China buying that much gold. At current prices that would be more gold that the entire mining output in 2008....for the entire globe.
They have been talking about raising their reserves for some time now. I dont think they plan on buying mined gold. My guess is that they are gunning for that IMF gold that is being released into the market, so for investment purposes, it may be a wash because it will not be decreasing the supply on the market. If anything, it will merely prevent a fall in gold prices.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:09 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
snippet:
"Rep. Kirk of Illinois leaks China’s plan to buy $80 billion worth of gold, to protect it’s massive foreign currency reserves from hyperinfaltion. China is particularily vulenrable to infaltion as governments around the world openly inflate their way out of the “Great Global Recession”.
This does not make much sense. Buying gold would not protect them from losing money from their dollar, etc reverses.

I'd also imagine Chinese economists are not too worried about inflation..

Old 07-13-2009, 06:25 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
They have been talking about raising their reserves for some time now. I dont think they plan on buying mined gold. My guess is that they are gunning for that IMF gold that is being released into the market, so for investment purposes, it may be a wash because it will not be decreasing the supply on the market. If anything, it will merely prevent a fall in gold prices.
The Obama administration pushed a bill through the U.S. House of Representatives approving $106 billion in supplemental funding, primarily for the Iraq and Afghanistan 'security' efforts, but attached to it was also an expanded credit facility for the International Monetary Fund (IMF) of a massive $108 billion which included an agreement to allow U.S. members of the IMF Board to agree to the proposed $13 billion sale of 400 tons of IMF gold to shore up its finances.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM

209 posts, read 584,975 times
Quote:
I agree, the likely source will be IMF or other central bank gold bullion. I was just trying to use that to highlight the sheer size of that sort of purchase.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:28 PM

18,464 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
The Obama administration pushed a bill through the U.S. House of Representatives approving $106 billion in supplemental funding, primarily for the Iraq and Afghanistan 'security' efforts, but attached to it was also an expanded credit facility for the International Monetary Fund (IMF) of a massive $108 billion which included an agreement to allow U.S. members of the IMF Board to agree to the proposed $13 billion sale of 400 tons of IMF gold to shore up its finances.

Thanks. This was in the news back in February, and I forgot the exact numbers. If they are only selling 400 tons, I have no idea where China expects to get the other 600 tons. Over time, it is possible I guess, but it will drive up prices. China, along with Russia (or maybe it was Brazil?), has also proposed a gold backed international currency. If this is their goal, it would be wise for them to shore up their reserves, especially considering their economy. They still fall FAR behind the US in gold reserves.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:44 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,396 times
Quote:
Thanks. This was in the news back in February, and I forgot the exact numbers. If they are only selling 400 tons, I have no idea where China expects to get the other 600 tons. Over time, it is possible I guess, but it will drive up prices.
I don't know if you've heard of the "gold parties" that have become common lately, but the rumor mill is saying that many of the companies which host them have ties to China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics