Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 03:43 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I'm a LL, if you know the law so well why don't you show us where we will be charged with discrimination for turning someone down that has to much credit.

I was turned down one time for a credit card because I had to much credit, not bad credit just to much, and not that I owed money I just had to much credit available to me. Was I discrimination against by the credit card company? Can I sue them? All I did was return the pre-approved application to them.

I'd really like to know because I'm in the process of re-renting a property right now.
Then you should also know that if you have too many open lines of credit, a bank may and will give you a hard time when judging whether to approve a person for a mortgage. In fact banks will tell applicants to close as many lines as they can and not to open new ones before applying for a mortgage. Credit is a liability whether you use it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Too much credit, no that is not what these posts have been about. If you will read it is because the person would be turned down if they have credit cards. Sure, Stac said "a number of credit cards", but what is the "number"? Two? Three? Ten?

If a person who makes $100,000+, has 10 cards with a total credit limit of $50,000, has a "good credit rating" and has proven they have never abused their cards, is having 10 cards too many cards?

From what Stac said, then yes, it's too many. For all I know in Stac's eyes having 2 card is too many, regardless of how low the credit limits are compared to their income.
Having 10 credit cards is insane. You might think $100k is a lot but not here in New York.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:45 PM

23,563 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
...but was so over extended because of the number of credit cards she had she was denied.
See now, here you are again changing what you originally posted.

All of these posts are about how you will deny people for having a number of credit cards, not because they are over extended.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Having 10 credit cards is insane. You might think $100k is a lot but not here in New York.
It is an example

Old 07-14-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
See now, here you are again changing what you originally posted.

All of these posts are about how you will deny people for having a number of credit cards, not because they are over extended.
If I see a person have too many lines of open credit he/she is a liability. I will protect my self and not rent to that person.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:51 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Too much credit, no that is not what these posts have been about. If you will read it is because the person would be turned down if they have credit cards. Sure, Stac said "a number of credit cards", but what is the "number"? Two? Three? Ten?

If a person who makes $100,000+, has 10 cards with a total credit limit of $50,000, has a "good credit rating" and has proven they have never abused their cards, is having 10 cards too many cards?

From what Stac said, then yes, it's too many. For all I know in Stac's eyes having 2 card is too many, regardless of how low the credit limits are compared to their income.
Don't take something I wrote and take it out of context and say I said something else..I wrote about what was being talked about here and nothing more..

I suggest you go back and re-read what I wrote.

I even gave you an example of how a credit card company turned me down, not because I owed to much, but because I had to much credit that I could use if I wanted to...

Old 07-14-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
If I see a person have too many lines of open credit he/she is a liability. I will protect my self and not rent to that person.
I had been wondering if your original post about denying people simply becuase they had credit cards was just a poorly worded post by you. From what you had posted in the quote above, I see it's not so.

Like I previously posted, do what you want. I don't care if you get sued.

I've stated my position and now I've got my chores to go do. You can continue beating this dead horse if you wish.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:54 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Then you should also know that if you have too many open lines of credit, a bank may and will give you a hard time when judging whether to approve a person for a mortgage. In fact banks will tell applicants to close as many lines as they can and not to open new ones before applying for a mortgage. Credit is a liability whether you use it or not.
berdee doesn't seem to understand all of this (what you wrote above)...LOL

I'm still waiting for him to post the law he was talking about...

Old 07-14-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Don't take something I wrote and take it out of context and say I said something else..I wrote about what was being talked about here and nothing more..

I suggest you go back and re-read what I wrote.

I even gave you an example of how a credit card company turned me down, not because I owed to much, but because I had to much credit that I could use if I wanted to...
I'm sorry, I will re-read your post a little bit later.
It may be possible that you were denied because of your the credit limits were to close to, or succeeded, your income. (just going by what you posted in the quote above, like I said, I will re-read your first post later)

Old 07-14-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I had been wondering if your original post about denying people simply becuase they had credit cards was just a poorly worded post by you. From what you had posted in the quote above, I see it's not so.

Like I previously posted, do what you want. I don't care if you get sued.

I've stated my position and now I've got my chores to go do. You can continue beating this dead horse if you wish.
I never will. I stay within the law. Like I said I use a background service and they do their job well. I recall this one young fellow who had to show he had money in his account as part of a background check. He had a lot of credit but no money. Where was his money going? He made money but seldom had any. He was spending it faster than he could make it. Not smart. He was paying off his credit cards and the same time wasting money. Will people ever learn? He was a sure liability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics