Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,919 times

Advertisements

You can say all that but there are alot of areas that their drivers only average 30 to 50 dollars average it out on the low end and see if all your bills work out timing belt goes, transmission dies out, tires, window regulators if you have no A/C door lock assemblies a car eats at our wages and companies just go in and do as they wish take advantage of the right to work state laws its just inhuman or simply tryin to run Americans into homelessness or moving back with mommy and daddy, unfortunately the ideal of drivers all being teenage kids is a thought of yester year it is a good mix so think yourselves are these lawsuits not needed I think they are to keep people from eating up more government funds for government assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 09:47 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Well, gee, we already pay a $2.00 delivery fee, then tip the pizza guy a few more bucks, which s/he more than likely doesn't declare on his/her taxes. Deliver 2-3 pizzas an hour and you'll have doubled the minimum wage.

But, hey, that claim for reimbursement of laundering his/her uniform (translate: throwing a cotton polo shirt in the wash with the rest of his/her clothes) is pretty creative. Is there a company in America that pays employees for washing the clothes they wear to work?
Actually yes, there are plenty of companies that do that.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:29 AM

78,353 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr64 View Post
Don't just worry about the minimum wage issue, but everybody better really worry about how cheap every company is becoming. Ford motor company, GE, ect. They are trying to pay 12 dollars an hour instead of 25 or more and want you to sign away all your rights such as striking and wage negotation. These companies have all but eliminated the middle class, what's next before we all are making minimum wage, or chained down to our work areas like the Chinese.
Put a bunch of identicle brooms or clocks or whatever out for sale marked $8 and $10 (but the latter being made in the USA)....Most US consumers will buy the $8 broom.

There are still good paying jobs out there but you need some skills and training and sadly in the US....need to be able to pass a drug test for some of those jobs.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,349 times
Is it illegal to be a pizza delivery driver and not get paid any check at all? But starting today i now have to do taxes next year but i have been working for them since last august..

Old 04-16-2011, 09:23 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,829 times
Maybe it's time we recognize the pizza delivery model went the way of the dodo, just like movie rental stores. And as such, people attempting to put food on the table (no pun intended) by being delivery drivers should re-crunch the numbers of that economic move when accounting for their own overhead.

I'd love to make a decent living doing something I love, let's call it riding roller coasters. Actually, screw it I'll give you my real example, flying airplanes. I recognize the market ain't going to compensate me to a median standard of living by flying airplanes to my heart's content (I don't enjoy airline flying and the compensation is unstable and fickle for the majority of the first 10-15 years, it's a crappy industry no doubt). So I do something I don't enjoy as much (flying airplanes that get shot at) for the opportunity cost of having an income that allows me to do something I do enjoy and the free time to do that. Actually I get a non-economic valuation by serving my Country, so that's an added value I do get out of my vocational choice. I found my happy medium. The majority do not.

Which is why they attempt to make a living delivering pizzas and get miffed when they discover it actually costs you money to go to work. People need to be more cold and calculating about this. It sucks, but do the math and strive for change until you get closer to a tenable construct. Don't keep squeezing that turnip.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:34 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Is this going to raise the price of an already over priced pizza?

There are some pretty good
frozen store pizzas out there for less than half the price..

If you were in the restaurant business you would know that pizza is the most profitable of them all per dollar spent. It cost less to make a pizza then it cost to make a sandwich. How would like to pay $12 for a ham and cheese on sliced?

The public was fooled years ago about pizza because they look at the size and not at the ingredients used to make it. Believe it or not, more goes into making a good sandwich the a large pizza, cost wise.

Ciao
busta

Old 04-16-2011, 09:48 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The min wage should really be $10 per hour.

OK I agree as long as can I tell my customers that your pay is included in the bill and no tips are expected. But Oh wait you want both. Go open your own place and go weeks if not months without paying yourself while paying your employees who complain about the lousy pay.

Ciao
busta

Old 04-17-2011, 06:16 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
Kev:"A decent deilvery man can do at least 4 pizzas an hour if not more. That would be $2.50 to $3 per pizza to deliver it. "

Kevin, You know SQUAT about business. Dividing $10 by 4, LOL! Add in Employer FICA, Medicare, Unemployment Insurance, Workers Comp, and Vacation/Holiday Pay, and the $10 becomes $15 or more. That's $3.75 per delivery if he does 4, $5 if he does 3.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,349 times
no one replied to my question

Old 04-20-2011, 03:48 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Lawsuit alleges wages paid Pizza Hut delivery drivers fall below mandated minimums - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/1315877.html - broken link)

Unfortunately, the page you requested isn't available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics