Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 04:04 PM

17 posts, read 70,693 times

Advertisements

I had a little trouble at the movie theater last week.
I told the guy to only put 8 dollars on the card(I only had about 9 bucks in the account) and I would pay the rest in cash.
well he put the full 19 dollars on!!
so we took it up with the manager who said he would reverse it for me...
and I prayed that it would go in in time so I could avoid an overdraft fee.
well he did that.
he let us into the movie for free in the long run.
well
I am short money so I can't just put money in my account to counter act any fee that I would have.
so I kept an eye on the account...
well yesterday..it was - 45.27 or something..
but today it went down to -25 that 19 dollars was finally put in....but too late
that I was charged the over draft fee.
Now do you think I could get a reversal on that fee..because it wasn't my fault...I only asked the guy to put 8 dollars on it..
I knew how much I had on the card..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 04:10 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,318 times
Yes you can get the fee reversed. Explain it to the customer service person who will most likely tell you there is nothing they can do then ask to speak to their supervisor and explain the situation. Tell them that you had no intentions on overdrawing your account and that it was the fault of the movie company for over charging you by mistake. The proof of the mistake is that they refunded you the money. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:40 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,208 times
I have to say Chase is pretty good at reversing charges. A few months back the City of New York did not get its pay roll though on time and I did not get paid. I have an automated payment coming through my account plus a few debits in which I had money in my account to cover. Well with out a payroll credit going into my account, Chase paid the big debit first and then the five small debits later. With each overdarft costing me $35 each it came to $175.00 plus another $20 for the amount of the overdraft. I was pretty angry at the NYC Dept of Education's payroll system. When I called them they told me the distinct I worked for forgot to pay me for the days I worked for them. When I called Chase and explained what had happened they reversed the overdraft charges without question. As for the City of New York, they can go to blazes. Being a substitute teacher we get not benefits, sick and vacation time or medical. When the summer months come we are on our own. For God’s sake, the least the NYC Dept. of Education’s Payroll can do is pay us on time. Is that too much to ask? Idiots!

Old 07-18-2009, 07:45 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,082 times
It may depend on your record with this account. If you have had overdrafts before, WF will be less likely to listen to any excuse. If it has long been in good standing, call them up. It's quite likely they'll listen.

The best policy, though, is to run a high balance. I know! When you're counting down to the next paycheck every time, it's difficult to retain money going forward. But, if you didn't have that last $20, you wouldn't be spending it, right? There's always a discretionary part of one's spending in every paycheck. The disciplined money manager will make sure that they are spending slightly less than they are making, so that the account balance grows with each passing month. Before you know it, a year has passed, and you're carrying a high balance.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:15 PM

929 posts, read 2,091,883 times
If I was running that low on cash, I would skip the movies and go to the library and check out a DVD for free.

If you can't get it reversed, fire your bank and find a good credit union.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:14 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I have to say Chase is pretty good at reversing charges. A few months back the City of New York did not get its pay roll though on time and I did not get paid. I have an automated payment coming through my account plus a few debits in which I had money in my account to cover. Well with out a payroll credit going into my account, Chase paid the big debit first and then the five small debits later. With each overdarft costing me $35 each it came to $175.00 plus another $20 for the amount of the overdraft. I was pretty angry at the NYC Dept of Education's payroll system. When I called them they told me the distinct I worked for forgot to pay me for the days I worked for them. When I called Chase and explained what had happened they reversed the overdraft charges without question. As for the City of New York, they can go to blazes. Being a substitute teacher we get not benefits, sick and vacation time or medical. When the summer months come we are on our own. For God’s sake, the least the NYC Dept. of Education’s Payroll can do is pay us on time. Is that too much to ask? Idiots!
Wow, no kidding.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:03 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
If I was running that low on cash, I would skip the movies and go to the library and check out a DVD for free.

If you can't get it reversed, fire your bank and find a good credit union.
My thoughts exactly! No wonder I prefer Federal Reserve notes in hand to the debit nonsense. It amazes me how many bank statements I have found in dumpsters and junk cars with a balance of less than 20 dollars. If I had less than 1,000 dollars in a bank account I would close it.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:40 PM

17 posts, read 70,693 times
It was fixed..thankfully. wells fargo was understanding.
My boyfriend and I wanted to go see bruno...
his sister wasn't going to let us in for free since she didn't like the movie..but the manager another friend of ours lets us in free because of the mistake with my card.

all the movies in the library..I have seen..that's why we also have netflix..
but there are certain movies you just have to see in theaters..haha

Old 08-01-2009, 07:59 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,082 times
Well, thanks for returning here and giving us an explanation. I'm glad everything worked out fine.

Now, start saving. (see my post above)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics