Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,486 times

Advertisements

Parents owns a 5 acre guava farm. We need to find wholesalers/buyer for the furits...The farm produces other fruits to such as: Longan, Dragon Fruits, and other Veggies. I need help build relations with wholesaler/buyers of this fruit. Let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 05:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Go to your local supermarkets and talk to the guys in the fruit/vegetable depts.
Maybe they can give you some leads.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:21 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Go to your local supermarkets and talk to the guys in the fruit/vegetable depts.
Maybe they can give you some leads.
This is the good advice.

According to the zip code in your profile, you are located in or near Homestead, Florida. This is a very unique geographical area in the United States, more part of the tropics than the continent. Most people in the US do not eat such fruits, probably have not even heard of them (I had to look them up on Google image). On top of that, you obviously would be competing with other low-cost producers from the region overseas.

Therefore, you should also make a survey of local open-air fruit/vegetable markets and either directly open a stand or try to sell to one of the vendors there.

Finally, you could also do a search for tropical fruit and vegetable associations in Florida and elsewhere in the United States, they may also provide you with advice and leads.

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2009, 05:27 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
living in florida, why don't you contact the fruit juice companies (tropicana, etc.) to see if they would be interested in wholesale purchase of your dragon fruit? i read a story that snapple was very interested in this fruit due to its beneficial properties.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:59 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
living in florida, why don't you contact the fruit juice companies (tropicana, etc.) to see if they would be interested in wholesale purchase of your dragon fruit? i read a story that snapple was very interested in this fruit due to its beneficial properties.

I think this is a far better idea then trying to contact grocery stores. Companies that use this fruit to make end products consume far more of it then any grocery store is going to. It takes about 2 medium size oranges per cup of juice. Thats about 14-20 oranges (depending on average size and pulp content) for a single standard 64 ounce container.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:07 AM

231 posts, read 630,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerGuy View Post
Parents owns a 5 acre guava farm. We need to find wholesalers/buyer for the furits...The farm produces other fruits to such as: Longan, Dragon Fruits, and other Veggies. I need help build relations with wholesaler/buyers of this fruit. Let me know.
A five acre farm won't produce enough fruits to amount to squat much less veggies too. However, for tropical fruits, talk with the Schnebly Redland's Winery. They use various S FL fruits to make unique tropical wines and may buy in the small quantities you can grow. You might also consider leasing the land to one of your neighbors who could add it the hundreds/thousands of acres they already farm.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:29 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
The flea market on Sunrise in Ft. Lauderdale has many vendors selling fresh vegetables.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:23 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Here in south Florida land costs are still 10-100 times too high to be a viable return on the investment. As mentioned above your best bet is to sell to the local winery or a roadside fruit stand where locals can buy them. Most of these "farms" are just there to claim a property tax exemption so productivity is not really an issue.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:53 PM

9 posts, read 29,786 times
Check out your local chamber of commerce or try to deal with the small town farmers markets, those guys seem to really do well inspite of the national chains like....well you know them. Good luck and hope all turns out well for you.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:47 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,284 times
Target Asian markets throughout the U.S. I know I see longans and other tropical fruits/veggies at the Asian supermarkets. There are large ones like H-mart that might work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics