Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:18 PM

146 posts, read 520,349 times

Advertisements

Hi i am going to be a junior in high school and already have a job as a cashier, but my manager says that i can move up to be a front end manager. My hours would probably go up to around 40 a week if i take it. Can i have any opinions on if this is the right thing to do or is it to much for a student. All help is apppreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:45 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegiant View Post
Hi i am going to be a junior in high school and already have a job as a cashier, but my manager says that i can move up to be a front end manager. My hours would probably go up to around 40 a week if i take it. Can i have any opinions on if this is the right thing to do or is it to much for a student. All help is apppreciated
Do you what to know my advice? Stay in school and the hell with that dead end job you think is a future. Believe me for the first five years after high school I worked a lot of dead end jobs like the one you have now. I gave my energy to people who pissed in my hand when I believed I earned the right to a pay raise. I know what you're feeling. I was pretty poor also and buying a new pair of jeans when I was your age was a major purchase. Please don't sell your self cheap like I did when I was young. It took me a long time to build up what I have and I am still far from where I want to be. I paid for my success but I am not happy at what I had to go through to get it. Find something you like to do in life because the people who you think are offering you a great job are actually stealing your youth from you. Don’t cast your pearls down at the feat of swine. Peace

Old 07-26-2009, 01:42 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Do you what to know my advice? Stay in school and the hell with that dead end job you think is a future. Believe me for the first five years after high school I worked a lot of dead end jobs like the one you have now. I gave my energy to people who pissed in my hand when I believed I earned the right to a pay raise. I know what you're feeling. I was pretty poor also and buying a new pair of jeans when I was your age was a major purchase. Please don't sell your self cheap like I did when I was young. It took me a long time to build up what I have and I am still far from where I want to be. I paid for my success but I am not happy at what I had to go through to get it. Find something you like to do in life because the people who you think are offering you a great job are actually stealing your youth from you. Don’t cast your pearls down at the feat of swine. Peace
True. If you are working for someone else, you'll never make a good income. Just look at the statistics. All of the good paying jobs require years and years of EXPENSIVE education. We are now reaching the point where it is too expensive to go to school. Making 100k/year is nothing after you factor in taxes, loan interest and student loan payment. Its nothing. The only alternative you have is to start your own business or go to trade school and start your own business. Good paying jobs are a thing of the past. Only work a job to pay the bills. Spend all your other time building a small business.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:28 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,662 times
Depends. I would have been able to do it, but high school was hella boring and easy for me. If you have to study to get good grades, I'd stay away. If you're good at school and this job DOESN'T MAKE YOU MISS SCHOOL, go for it!

Old 07-26-2009, 04:42 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,662 times
But, I EMPHASIZE, don't drop out and don't miss school for more pay. I grew up poor (well, poor for America... not necessarily destitute), saw people around me get nice cars, fancy jeans, etc.. But, I knew it was more important to get into a good school than to blow my energy on stupid crap. Thanks to Facebook, I've seen what has happened to many of them. Babies at a young age, in debt (I am, too, but mostly student loans), one bought a car BRAND NEW in high school, took out a loan, and NO COMPREHENSIVE insurance. CRASHED IT and still paying it off but can't drive it. I'm not saying taking a job would do this, just being stupid and thinking of now and not later. Think of later and make sure your fun now won't compromise your future or put you into a "position."

So, get that diploma, go to a decent college (or trade school if you don't like academia). Just remember: that "big paycheck" now won't seem so big in the future. For example, my mom makes ~3K/ month before taxes. For me, a single person, that's A LOT! I could definitely live off that, and comfortably. When you have two kids, though, it gets eaten up by 401K, taxes, feeding kids, mortgage... it's livable, but not luxurious. So, assess what you want to do with life (kids/no kids, marriage, job you want, etc.), and try to make enough to cover it or to fit your lifestyle around it. And, USE A CONDOM/PILL/ABSTINENCE. You don't want any babies running around too early ruining your plans. Also, antibiotics negate the effects of the pill. Just a head's up that many find out after it's too late.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:39 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
If you're not 18 you're limited to 28 hours/week during school anyway.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:56 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Absolutely do not do this.
Whatever job that is isn't worth missing out on your high school (and then possibly college) education. Not to mention you have your whole adult life to work...have some fun now while you're a kid.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:12 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Whitegiant, can you clarify that this job would be in addition to school, as much of the screeching here seems to be based on the notion that you are dropping out to take the job.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:25 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
no don't do it. Work only part time one or two weekdays and on weekends only.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Whitegiant, can you clarify that this job would be in addition to school, as much of the screeching here seems to be based on the notion that you are dropping out to take the job.
My screeching is based on how his job will take away from his education, not replace it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics