Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:24 PM

437 posts, read 791,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Anybody do Disney Land (in California) lately?

We are going to be out there near the end of September and were going to take the kids.

What are the best deals? The multi-day pass? Stay at a hotel on the site? Or off?

Thanks.
Philip, we stayed at the Best Western down the street from Disneyland and they have two pools, one big spa, free breakfast, and the
Disney bus picks up at the front door every 20 minutes. It's a good place, not fancy, but good.(Watch for the bus U-turn).
BTW, the Italian joint(Marria?) one block away, is very good. The large calzone is enough for two adults.

Also, my score at Buzz Lightyear was 41,000. Can you beat that? It doesn't matter except between me and my little nephew. (I have a picture on my Iphone of my score)
And we go back to the room in the afternoon after getting our hands stamped and swim and then return to Disney at about 4pm. And stay til closing.
It's a good day.
We go to Disney World every year during Christmas or spring break also.

Last edited by jdrtx; 07-30-2009 at 11:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 11:48 PM

"I'm sure since nobody is spending money you'll be the only ones there though."

Ummm, no, not so much. Very crowded the first week of July '09. How was it when you were there?

Old 07-30-2009, 11:51 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,045,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrtx View Post
Went to Disneyland on July 4th. Three hamburgers, three cokes,and after standing in line to serve ourselves was $42.00. Oh wait, I ordered an extra fry.
Where was that? At most places its $10 for a hamburger, fries and drink.

Disneyland hamburgers are not even worth $1, they are horrible. There is a McDonalds in California adventure that costs around the same, but at least it tastes decent. I have no idea why, but the food in California adventure is better for the same price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Disney's tickets are not cheap and eating at the parks is just as expensive. They became too gready and now they are suffering.
All businesses are greedy. They are not suffering due to their pricing models. They are charging the amount that maximizes their profit. They charge just enough so there is not a big incentive to bring food in the park or leave the park to eat.

They seem to adjust their drink prices up during the summer too, but I will confirm this when I go again in a couple of months.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
"I'm sure since nobody is spending money you'll be the only ones there though."
Ummm, no, not so much. Very crowded the first week of July '09. How was it when you were there?
I was joking, as the OP was talking about how few people where there.

I went in June and Disneyland and when we got there it was full to capacity and they were restricting ticket sells (we had passes so we got in fine). The gigantic parking structure was full and we had to park on some side-lot. I kept thinking "wow....some recession".

Partly, I think it was so crowded because there a lot of high school seniors celebrating their graduation.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Where was that? At most places its $10 for a hamburger, fries and drink.

Disneyland hamburgers are not even worth $1, they are horrible. There is a McDonalds in California adventure that costs around the same, but at least it tastes decent. I have no idea why, but the food in California adventure is better for the same price.

All businesses are greedy. They are not suffering due to their pricing models. They are charging the amount that maximizes their profit. They charge just enough so there is not a big incentive to bring food in the park or leave the park to eat.

They seem to adjust their drink prices up during the summer too, but I will confirm this when I go again in a couple of months.

I think it was across the street from the car driving track that my daughter loves(IMS). We save our "drivers license" every time we ride. Please do not think I'm complaining, I surrender my billfold upon enter Disney completely aware of what's happening. My family agrees that the meal is adequate.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:35 AM

764 posts, read 2,545,076 times
Actually, although revenue is down, attendance was UP 3% in the 3rd quarter. People are going, but they're not spending as much on souvenirs and food apparently.

Disney 3Q profit falls 26 pct, cites tough economy - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090730/ap_on_bi_ge/us_earns_disney - broken link)

Old 08-01-2009, 05:27 AM

Yeah, I noticed a lot of sales in the shops the last couple of times I've been to Disneyland. Thought it was a bit odd, because they usually do not have sales in the parks.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 AM

537 posts, read 730,603 times
Theme parks...let's see...fight a crowded mess to get into the park...pay for parking....then pay way too much to get into the park...just to wait in real long lines for an hour to go on a ride. Oh, are you hungry? Well, be ready to be raped again. 2 hot dogs and 2 beers...$18.00...that was a few years ago. What a bargain!! Rare to find a water fountain so they can rape you again on buying bottled water. Theme parks...pay big money for a day in hell...no thanks.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:05 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,813,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
Theme parks...let's see...fight a crowded mess to get into the park...pay for parking....then pay way too much to get into the park...just to wait in real long lines for an hour to go on a ride. Oh, are you hungry? Well, be ready to be raped again. 2 hot dogs and 2 beers...$18.00...that was a few years ago. What a bargain!! Rare to find a water fountain so they can rape you again on buying bottled water. Theme parks...pay big money for a day in hell...no thanks.
I'm gonna make an assumption. i'm gonna asssume you didn't read this thread, but just decided to drop by and spray some vebal hate.

Damn, I'm good.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,526,825 times
Quote:
Philip, we stayed at the Best Western down the street from Disneyland and they have two pools, one big spa, free breakfast, and the
Disney bus picks up at the front door every 20 minutes. It's a good place, not fancy, but good.(Watch for the bus U-turn).
BTW, the Italian joint(Marria?) one block away, is very good. The large calzone is enough for two adults.

Also, my score at Buzz Lightyear was 41,000. Can you beat that? It doesn't matter except between me and my little nephew. (I have a picture on my Iphone of my score)
And we go back to the room in the afternoon after getting our hands stamped and swim and then return to Disney at about 4pm. And stay til closing.
It's a good day.
We go to Disney World every year during Christmas or spring break also.
Thanks.

Breakfast is good thing to start with the kiddos.

We see three Best Westerns looking at the map >>>

Anaheim Hotels: Read Anaheim Hotel Reviews and Compare Prices - TripAdvisor

Best Western Pavilions
Best Western Anaheim Inn
Best Western Park Place Inn - Mini Suites

Do you recall which one it is you are speaking of?

Any ideas about the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Anaheim / Disneyland Park

Thanks, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics