Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:55 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,014,267 times

Advertisements

This is rather funny, I'd think it was a joke if it was not on CNN.

"As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record. But Monroe's career-services department has put forth insufficient effort to help her secure employment, she claims."

Alumna sues college because she hasn't found a job - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 05:34 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,792,228 times
I read this article today and threw up a little in my mouth. I can't say I didn't see it coming.

Gotta. Connect. The. Dots. Then all becomes clear.

Worried Companies Block Facebook - ABC News

Extraordinarily, of the half who could access the social networking site, 8 percent stated that the access was allowed because companies feared an employee backlash if it was stopped.

Extraordinarily, of the half who could access the social networking site, 8 percent stated that the access was allowed because companies feared an employee backlash if it was stopped.

More Details Emerge About Clayton Hostage Situation :: WRAL.com

Authorities said Pam Arizona was upset about the firing of a friend, Sharon Palmer. She went to the plant where Palmer had worked and held two security guards and O'Neal Simmons, a employee at the plant, captive. Sources close to the investigation said Arizona targeted Simmons because a dispute between him and Palmer.

Teen passenger in speeding car sues driver who was hit - SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

The driver of a minivan who was seriously injured when she was struck head-on by a drag-racing teenager doing 81 mph is now being sued by the teenager's passenger, who was also injured.

A lawsuit filed yesterday in Salem Superior Court suggests that Christine Speliotis "carelessly and negligent (sic) failed to avoid the collision with the other vehicle head on."

I don't you owe you nothing. You owe me, everything.

Just wait 'til your kids turn 18 and sue you for every mistake you made as a parent.
Welcome to the entitlement generation.

You ever see those kids whining for candy at the store? My kids don't do that. They know, they can't break me. They ask for candy. I make a decision. My decision holds. End of story.

In my world, that drag racing butthead (Who probably has a racing strip SOMEWHERE in their state.) should be taken out publicly, and flogged with a cat o' nine tails. In our world, they sue the person who didn't get out of the way of their illegal activity. And, so it goes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041703181.html
"It was spontaneous. We just had it with them," said Benoit Nicolas, 38, a Caterpillar line supervisor and delegate from one of several striking unions, the General Labor Confederation. "They refused to talk, so we locked them up until they agreed to negotiate."

I hear this works with wives, dogs, and small children, too. It's a commonly used tool of serial killers, rapists and the morally corrupt. How can you have respect for the morally corrupt?

That girl, who didn't get good grades. That girl, who didn't excel, now demands repayment for MEDIOCRITY.

"Oh, they didn't find me a job." No, you stupid, ignorant, wet behind the ears pup, that's what YOU DO. You use the tools given to you, and if the tool is blunt you sharpen it. You don't curse the heavens and weep while holding the tool and then die. Let me ask you a question, "Who in their right mind would hire this person, now?" Isn't she just a walking lawsuit time bomb, now?

I wouldn't hire her.

Last edited by 70Ford; 08-03-2009 at 05:45 PM..

Old 08-03-2009, 05:36 PM

690 posts, read 2,104,009 times
Actually, maybe the school didn't do a very good job of preparing her. She has, after all, spent years at that school and still thinks that a 2.7 is "all right". While I was looking for a job in my field, I don't think I saw a single application that didn't specify a minimum GPA of 3.0.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:47 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,260,925 times
I wish I could be there when the judge throws it out and b*tch-slaps her silly a** with full court costs and reimbursement of defendant's legal fees.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:51 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,656,782 times
A 2.7 GPA is crap. If she didn't apply herself and study to get good grades, it's her fault. If she chose a bad major, it's HER fault. If she doesn't try to find a job for herself, it's HER FAULT.

There is no guarantee with education, you still have to apply yourself and take charge. What a moron. She should flip burgers; that's about what a 2.7 GPA is worth.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:10 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,844,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
A 2.7 GPA is crap. If she didn't apply herself and study to get good grades, it's her fault. If she chose a bad major, it's HER fault. If she doesn't try to find a job for herself, it's HER FAULT.

There is no guarantee with education, you still have to apply yourself and take charge. What a moron. She should flip burgers; that's about what a 2.7 GPA is worth.
A 2.7 GPA means she partied too much and studied too little. Not a smart a choice for a person who spent thousands on a college degree. I earned a 3.5 GPA and am having difficulty finding a teaching position.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:25 PM

370 posts, read 439,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
A 2.7 GPA means she partied too much and studied too little. Not a smart a choice for a person who spent thousands on a college degree. I earned a 3.5 GPA and am having difficulty finding a teaching position.

I usually agree with your positions except in this case.

So now a degree is not acceptable? It has to be obtained at a certain GPA. If this is the case why not flunk anyone below a 3.5 GPA?

As far as suing I can understand where shes coming from. You are told what you need to do to better yourself and get a job and she has achieved what was asked of her and now shes being told that this is not good enough(moving the goal posts).

Old 08-03-2009, 07:45 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,014,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
So now a degree is not acceptable? It has to be obtained at a certain GPA. If this is the case why not flunk anyone below a 3.5 GPA?
Because the GPA issues have little to do with the school, but rather the labor market. When the labor market is filled with people looking for jobs companies can be more picky about who they hire, where as during a boom they may have to settle for someone with say a lower GPA.

In her case she has a degree in a field that is very much over-supplied with labor. The labor market only needs so many paper pushers with degrees in business administration. Engineering, etc graduates are not having these same sorts of problems.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:45 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,792,228 times
She's suing the school because they didn't find her a job.
I should sue my high school gym teacher (I passed gym) for not finding me a 400 million dollar football contract as star quarterback. He was supposed to prepare me for that. He failed. I have to (shudder) force myself to work out. Where is my gym teacher? He left me to fend for myself. Loser.
I should sue my mom for not finding the perfect girl for me. She could have done that. I had to find her on my own. What good was mom for, then? Not even worth discussing. If she can't do it for me, she's done nothing. NOTHING.
I should due my Dad for not showing me how to make a fire with two sticks. He was supposed to do that. I had to figure out how to make a fire on my own. You hear that old man? On...my...own! Something is horribly wrong with that. It's not supposed to be like that. I need my tummy rubbed and some warm milk, too.
I should sue the fish for not getting on my hook. THEIR FAULT! THEIR FAULT!
I should sue my shoes for not tieing themselves. I had parents for this....where are you when I need you the most? Not tieng my shoes shows your lack of love.
I should sue you for not sending me 5 bucks, because I'd be rich if it weren't for you. My posts are entertaining. They are certainly worth 5 bucks. You'll be talking to my attorney, shortly,....cheapskate.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:00 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,844,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
I usually agree with your positions except in this case.

As far as suing I can understand where shes coming from. You are told what you need to do to better yourself and get a job and she has achieved what was asked of her and now shes being told that this is not good enough(moving the goal posts).
Well if you had the choice of two doctors, one who earned a 2.7 GPA in college and another whose GPA was a 3.5 which one would you choose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics