Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:44 PM

125 posts, read 760,591 times

Advertisements

I don't know if anyone here has had any experience with debt collection agencies, but I could use some advice.

About a year ago I started getting harrassed by a debt collection company. The company is calling for a person I do not know. I have same last name as the guy, but I do not know him.

The debt collection company has called my number 20+ times over the past year. I've talked to their agents about 4 times, and each time I explain I am not this person, and that I want to be removed from their system. Yet they keep calling me, each time its a different agent.

I did a reverse trace on the number they left me, and found the name of the company online. I found their website and email. I'm thinking of sending them a strongly worded email explaining the situation again, and demanding they stop calling or I will go to the police.

I'm not sure what else to do.

The strange thing is, I started recieving calls about 4 or 5 years ago from various debt collection agencies calling for 'many' different people, none of whom I know. Usually I just tell them they have the wrong number, and they go away, but this particular company is being very aggressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 12:59 PM

758 posts, read 1,235,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBower View Post
I don't know if anyone here has had any experience with debt collection agencies, but I could use some advice.

About a year ago I started getting harrassed by a debt collection company. The company is calling for a person I do not know. I have same last name as the guy, but I do not know him.

The debt collection company has called my number 20+ times over the past year. I've talked to their agents about 4 times, and each time I explain I am not this person, and that I want to be removed from their system. Yet they keep calling me, each time its a different agent.

I did a reverse trace on the number they left me, and found the name of the company online. I found their website and email. I'm thinking of sending them a strongly worded email explaining the situation again, and demanding they stop calling or I will go to the police.

I'm not sure what else to do.

The strange thing is, I started recieving calls about 4 or 5 years ago from various debt collection agencies calling for 'many' different people, none of whom I know. Usually I just tell them they have the wrong number, and they go away, but this particular company is being very aggressive.
Pay them and they will stop calling you

Old 08-07-2009, 01:01 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,550 times
I would contact your state Attorney General about this company, when they get involved things happen. Document, document, and document some more when it comes to them...names of who is calling and who they are calling for, what they say, the time, everything. The more info the better.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:59 PM

23,534 posts, read 12,509,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
Pay them and they will stop calling you

there.are.no.words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I would contact your state Attorney General about this company, when they get involved things happen. Document, document, and document some more when it comes to them...names of who is calling and who they are calling for, what they say, the time, everything. The more info the better.
Excellent advice, but, also file a complaint with the collectors AG !! Sometimes filing complaints with their AG means more than filing with your own. Also file a complaint with the BBB.

But .. before filing the complaints you should send the collection agency a cease and desist letter (not an email!!). Send your letter by certified mail return receipt. Once you get the signed green card back, make copies of that and of your letter and include those in with your filed complaints.

You can find sample C&D letters on the web, just be sure to modify it to fit your situation. You should include in that C&D that if they continue to call that you will be taping their calls.

If they continue to call .. take pictures of the caller ID and tape the calls. If they continue to call, take all of your info .. copies of your letter to the collector, copies of the complaints to the AG's and BBB, copies of the pictures and copies of the tape recording to a lawyer - then sue the collector.

One other thing that you should do ASAP .. order a hard copy of your credit reports from each CRA and have the reports mailed to you. Check the reports to make sure they hadn't placed the debt on them, that they hadn't pulled either a hard or a soft inquiry. If they had done any of those things, include copies of your credit reports in with what you take to a lawyer.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:35 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,396 times
Be very polite and helpful in the collection process.
Ask them to mail you a pile of paperwork.
Act really stupid, and ask them to explain the same things over and over again.
Set up a payment plan, and change the details a dozen times.
Ask for their phone number and start calling them at random intervals.
Tell them how much you appreciate their help, and then tell them stories from 3rd grade.
Chatter about your date last night, and ask them if you think he/she is serious about you.

After you've kept them running in circles for a few weeks, tell them you really aren't the person they're looking for. You were just so lonely that you wanted to talk to anybody who would listen. Ask if they'll still be your friend.

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 08-07-2009 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-07-2009, 04:00 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post

there.are.no.words.

Excellent advice, but, also file a complaint with the collectors AG !! Sometimes filing complaints with their AG means more than filing with your own. Also file a complaint with the BBB.

But .. before filing the complaints you should send the collection agency a cease and desist letter (not an email!!). Send your letter by certified mail return receipt. Once you get the signed green card back, make copies of that and of your letter and include those in with your filed complaints.

You can find sample C&D letters on the web, just be sure to modify it to fit your situation. You should include in that C&D that if they continue to call that you will be taping their calls.

If they continue to call .. take pictures of the caller ID and tape the calls. If they continue to call, take all of your info .. copies of your letter to the collector, copies of the complaints to the AG's and BBB, copies of the pictures and copies of the tape recording to a lawyer - then sue the collector.

One other thing that you should do ASAP .. order a hard copy of your credit reports from each CRA and have the reports mailed to you. Check the reports to make sure they hadn't placed the debt on them, that they hadn't pulled either a hard or a soft inquiry. If they had done any of those things, include copies of your credit reports in with what you take to a lawyer.
Great post.

Also be advised that just because you are not the debtor does NOT mean you aren't covered under the FDCPA. Do not hesitate to go after them if they won't cooperate with you.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:15 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,931,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Be very polite and helpful in the collection process.
Ask them to mail you a pile of paperwork.
Act really stupid, and ask them to explain the same things over and over again.
Set up a payment plan, and change the details a dozen times.
Ask for their phone number and start calling them at random intervals.
Tell them how much you appreciate their help, and then tell them stories from 3rd grade.
Chatter about your date last night, and ask them if you think he/she is serious about you.

After you've kept them running in circles for a few weeks, tell them you really aren't the person they're looking for. You were just so lonely that you wanted to talk to anybody who would listen. Ask if they'll still be your friend.
Oh yes, I had this go on for three years when I got a new cell phone number. It was worth the entertainment.

After the fifth call I decided to take on the persona of "David". Hey, if they thought I was David who was I to argue? I would rather get a call from them than watch television, it was that great.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Oh yes, I had this go on for three years when I got a new cell phone number. It was worth the entertainment.

After the fifth call I decided to take on the persona of "David". Hey, if they thought I was David who was I to argue? I would rather get a call from them than watch television, it was that great.

YouTube - Pranking a Bill Collector

Old 08-07-2009, 04:42 PM

125 posts, read 760,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
How could they do any of these things with just my phone number? The people using my phone number don't even use my name. I really don't think this is ID theft, just someone gave the collection agency a fake number (in this case, mine).

Old 08-07-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBower View Post
How could they do any of these things with just my phone number? The people using my phone number don't even use my name. I really don't think this is ID theft, just someone gave the collection agency a fake number (in this case, mine).
I agree that it's a long shot, but the collection industry is very sleazy and they've been known to shotgun their credit bureau reporting in hopes of finding a hit. You probably won't find anything but it's better safe than sorry, plus if you do find something you can sue them for damages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics