Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:40 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if they wanted to nationalize they would not do bailouts. the government is not taking over corporate america, its the reverse.
Agreed.

So that said, that's why these next few months or quarters are going to get interesting. At some point, the Feds will HAVE to let the Markets self correct. They played their Trump Card (bailouts) way too early in the game IMO (if they even should've played it at all).

This has the Fed and the Obama Adminsitration backed into a corner. Even if they don't know it yet. There is *NO WAY* they can pull that kind of stunt again. If Wall Street gets bailed out a second time, that truly will be the proverbial Last Straw. The ensuing pandemonium will make LA Spring 1992 look like a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese. A second "baliout" or "stimulus"-if there is to be one-will be in the form of direct, non taxable cash payouts to the citizens. Of course I don't want to see that happen any more than I wanted to see Bailout Round I happen. But if it comes to that (and heaven help us if it does), that's pretty much the only option the Feds have left. Gone are the days that we can excuse this behavior by sluffing it off and saying "mistakes were made". SOMEONE needs to pay for this. Preferably with their life in prison.

And it'll be interesting to look back on these last 18 months in the next 20 years. I can only imagine the shenanigans that will be revealed. And tell me again why there aren't being indictments being handed out en masse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 09:43 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if they wanted to nationalize they would not do bailouts. the government is not taking over corporate america, its the reverse.
the bailouts are an ATTEMPT to set government up for the takeover of corporate america. (determining salaries, which companies fail or succeed, growth of big banks vs small banks, etc.) i see that warren buffett is shifting his money from energy to health care, and obviously for a reason!

there was NO reason to bail out the failing banks, and everyone agrees that the bailouts should never have been done in the first place!!!! i agree 100% that there should be some prosecutions for this bad "banking" behavior, although i don't think we are going to see it.

Last edited by floridasandy; 08-16-2009 at 09:54 AM..

Old 08-16-2009, 09:48 AM

at least some other countries are wising up to the big government global agenda. australia just rejected their own global warming bill:
: Climate defeat | The Economist

Old 08-16-2009, 07:52 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
"business model of indefinite and infinite "growth" (growth towards what?) was, in fact unsustainable after all. towards more-more-more."

I am not economist and I saw this coming... didn't anyone else want to believe it? It was strictly driven by greed and supremely irresponsible by people who are "in the know". They knew full well what was going to happen - I think it just happened sooner than they thought.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:41 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Huckleberry...you have clearly stated what seems so obviois to me, but no one seems to mention it. Thanks for bringing it up. Corporate america is indeed gobbleing ( buying it! ) up the government.

Des-Lab wrote:
When I see Paulson, Bernanke, and Geitner shackled up at Attica-where all three of them belong-then I'll feel a lot better about the economy.
A few more come to mind: Alan Greenspan, and Lawrence Summers.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:49 AM

that is exactly why the government plan cannot succeed! if you look at the first post, the government would NEED to take over the private sector to have the plan work, yet the government has tied itself to wall street. a lot of government pension funds are riding it out on wall street and money from wall street gets candidates elected. the government made retirement promises that it cannot keep. the government is attempting to do whatever power grabs it can to try to exert more influence in the economy, but ultimately it will fail because the government does not have control over the private sector. right now the only thing the government can do is try to grow the government sector, which it is actually doing.

of course, that pulls money away from private sector growth, which is where the actual paying JOBS are. the government is basically parasitic, feeding off the private sector for revenue. we need smaller government, not larger government, to actually grow the economy.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:50 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,772 times
Whacko alert!!!...Hide the childern.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Agreed.

So that said, that's why these next few months or quarters are going to get interesting. At some point, the Feds will HAVE to let the Markets self correct. They played their Trump Card (bailouts) way too early in the game IMO (if they even should've played it at all).

This has the Fed and the Obama Adminsitration backed into a corner. Even if they don't know it yet. There is *NO WAY* they can pull that kind of stunt again. If Wall Street gets bailed out a second time, that truly will be the proverbial Last Straw. The ensuing pandemonium will make LA Spring 1992 look like a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese. A second "baliout" or "stimulus"-if there is to be one-will be in the form of direct, non taxable cash payouts to the citizens. Of course I don't want to see that happen any more than I wanted to see Bailout Round I happen. But if it comes to that (and heaven help us if it does), that's pretty much the only option the Feds have left. Gone are the days that we can excuse this behavior by sluffing it off and saying "mistakes were made". SOMEONE needs to pay for this. Preferably with their life in prison.

And it'll be interesting to look back on these last 18 months in the next 20 years. I can only imagine the shenanigans that will be revealed. And tell me again why there aren't being indictments being handed out en masse?
certain politicians (think barney frank) are trying to block the auditing of the federal reserve, which would find out exactly where the money went. they stole the money and did not use it on housing, which explains the increasing foreclosure rate. every american should be putting pressure on the government to have the federal reserve audited.

we had a 32% jump in the foreclosure rate year -over- year!
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/hom...mortgage-.html

Old 08-18-2009, 02:42 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
floridasandy wrote:
every american should be putting pressure on the government to have the federal reserve audited.
Seems like a reasonable suggestion! If you would elaborate on what you are doing personally to put pressure on the government to have the federal reserve audited, those who agree with your suggestion might choose to emulate your actions.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
floridasandy wrote:
every american should be putting pressure on the government to have the federal reserve audited.
Seems like a reasonable suggestion! If you would elaborate on what you are doing personally to put pressure on the government to have the federal reserve audited, those who agree with your suggestion might choose to emulate your actions.
i suggest americans do the things suggested on this site with the contact numbers provided, which i have done. if there is enough volume from constituents, the representatives may realize that they need to act, or risk losing the next election~!
Campaign For Liberty

americans in both parties want the federal reserve audited to find out what happened to their money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics