Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 07:27 AM

392 posts, read 1,552,738 times

Advertisements

I wish this editorial had more detail, but it was written for a general purpose newspaper. He does not say anything people don't already know, but it's still an interesting read, and he does have influence.

The idea of inflation being somewhat deliberate, the easiest political path to take, the default path, is interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/op...=1&ref=opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 12:09 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,860 times
it is impossible to take anything buffett says seriously. he says to buy american and then invests in chinese batteries. he was all for the bailout when it benefited him, but now he wants fiscal restraint. he badmouthed derivatives, yet invested in them. he whines about not paying enough taxes, but never actually writes a check. i am sure that he will be writing a piece on how great cap and trade is for america since he will personally benefit. buffett looks out for buffett, usually with the help of the government.

an interesting TARP buffett/ government story:
Bloomberg has a story out comparing the investment terms achieved by TARP with those achieved by Warren Buffett when he invested $5 billion in Goldman back in September. The results aren’t pretty for the U.S. taxpayer: the government received warrants worth $13.8 billion in connection with its 25 largest equity injections; under the terms Buffett got from Goldman, those warrants would be worth $130.8 billion. (The calculations were done using the Black-Scholes option pricing formula, which has its critics, but which I think is still a good way of estimating the relative difference between similar options.) That’s on top of the fact that TARP is getting a lower interest rate (5%) on its preferred stock investments than is Buffett (10%), which costs taxpayers $48 billion in aggregate over 5 years, according to Bloomberg. The difference in the value of the warrants themselves is due to two factors: (1) Treasury got warrants for a much smaller percentage of the initial investment amount; and (2) those warrants are at a higher strike price – the average price over the 20 days prior to investment, while Buffett got a discount to market price on the date of investment.

he also got 224 million from my state (florida) on a hurricane "bet".

Old 08-19-2009, 12:18 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it is impossible to take anything buffett says seriously. he says to buy american and then invests in chinese batteries.
"Buy American" does not mean "Do not buy Chinese."

It just means buy American. And he does, in fact, buy American.

Quote:
he was all for the bailout when it benefited him, but now he wants fiscal restraint.
And he explains his position in this article. In the fall, it was needed. Now, not so much.

I'm not saying he's correct, but it is not a logically inconsistent viewpoint.

Quote:
he badmouthed derivatives, yet invested in them.
Did he ever claim, "I do not invest in derivatives." ?

Quote:
he whines about not paying enough taxes, but never actually writes a check.
I have no idea what this means: "Never actually writes a check."

Quote:
i am sure that he will be writing a piece on how great cap and trade is for america since he will personally benefit.
speculation..

Quote:
buffett looks out for buffett, usually with the help of the government.
I'd do the same, if I were in his shoes.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:38 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,860 times
well, buy american should mean buy american, not chinese! we are in a fiscal crisis and the same jerks that we bailed out with taxpayer money are now using that money to invest in other "emerging" economies. by writing a check, i mean he can get out his checkbook and write a check to pay more taxes anytime he wants to, but evidently he doesn't REALLY want to!

i seriously doubt that buffett will be impacted no matter what happens because of his cozy (as pointed out in previous post) relationship with the government.

all of these "global" economy people are willing to do it on the backs of american workers. why can't they see that wall street has not actually made money in 10 years and that is why we had to have a taxpayer bailout. we now have government pension funds doubling down to try to keep up the illusion yet eventually there will be an inflation tax to pay for their miscalculations, although we are not out of the world depression yet! these same "geniuses" still push for a global agenda, without a care in the world for the impact on ordinary people. look what they did to iceland, but i am glad iceland is fighting back!

Old 08-19-2009, 02:41 PM

609 posts, read 2,117,853 times
Looks like the Oracle of Omaha has figured out that Obama does not walk on water after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics