Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 04:25 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
This aired last Saturday night.

39 Cents | Video | Saturday Night Live | NBC

That was great ! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 06:11 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
I have recently been getting calls late in the evening from Indian telemarketers with thick accents, introducing themselves with American names like Charlie, Paul, and last night, Kelly! They are offering credit repair services. I have decent credit, no mortgagte, and my Tahoe is totally paid off. I find this so amusing that I look foward to their calls now.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Yes, but I don't find it offensive.

Giving American callers a name they can remember makes it easier if the American has secondary contacts with the company.

Cuts down on the confusion, every one knows who said what to the customer.

Remember these are phone calls, verbal communications.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:46 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I agree with Gemini. They have been doing this for years. Companies that outsource their call centers/tech support, apparently, through some research, figured that Americans may not be quite as annoyed and frustrated if the call centers created the illusion of being staffed by Americans. This was actually one of the first solutions they came up with.

However, changing their names has not covered up the easily identifiable accents, and the communication barrier remains between customer and agent.

I actually read an article not long ago talking about how some call centers are making their staffers take specialized speech therapy and vocal training to camouflage their local accents.

It is really amazing how much companies will go through to save a buck outsourcing.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just hire some Americans?

Old 11-29-2014, 08:50 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Yes, but I don't find it offensive.

Giving American callers a name they can remember makes it easier if the American has secondary contacts with the company.

Cuts down on the confusion, every one knows who said what to the customer.

Remember these are phone calls, verbal communications.
This. As a customer, you really want to hear a name you can remember. Not some foreign name that you can't enter into your system easily.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:10 PM

409 posts, read 484,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Its not because Americans cant pronounce it, its because Americans are largely zenophobic and do not care to speak to foreigners. Even a pre-k child can phonetically copy an adults speech, its how they learn to talk.
This is true. My husband who is American has a Hawaiian name that is very simple to pronounce, but most white Americans we meet act like they can't even comprehend his name. It's almost humorous to watch them try to deal with it. It's a four letter, two syllable name. Super easy to pronounce, but it's not Dave or Steve, so they can't deal.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:40 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
What is so annoying here I cannot understand! if they say their real name say "vishvapathi shantanu" will you feel better? I am sure you will be the first one complaining saying "you can't even pronounce the name"

Old 12-07-2014, 06:45 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
I find this so amusing that I look foward to their calls now.
It is GRIST for an amusing comedy. Watch the redneck shouting into the phone saying "Is this India! I'm calling India to buy a mug that says God Bless America!". Watch the A-team of call center workers do perfect Southern accents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wR3LhFlgGo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics