Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 05:31 PM

606 posts, read 1,234,660 times

Advertisements

What I am asking is do you think that a lot more businesses will shut down and will affect the job market due to the nasty Swine Flu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 08:32 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Not really unless there is a huge outbreak at that time. The issue is that swine flu has been going around and around, and as time passes people pay less attention as other things in their lives take precedence.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:11 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
I doubt any businesses will "shut down".

However, it will be spread quickly because of the concept of "sick days".

This ignorant system encourages people to come to work sick, because they cant afford to either lose the money, or be outright fired, and they proceed to spread it around.

Some sort of flu like bug basically took my whole office out in the period of January 2008-March 2008. This is mostly because we were forced to come in to work, and we did, and we spread it. People would sit in their cubes coughing up lungs with temps over 100.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:39 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I doubt any businesses will "shut down".

However, it will be spread quickly because of the concept of "sick days".

This ignorant system encourages people to come to work sick, because they cant afford to either lose the money, or be outright fired, and they proceed to spread it around.

Some sort of flu like bug basically took my whole office out in the period of January 2008-March 2008. This is mostly because we were forced to come in to work, and we did, and we spread it. People would sit in their cubes coughing up lungs with temps over 100.
The company DH works for is really putting alot of info out there about H1N1 - like telling employees not to come into work w/ a fever and not to return until fever free for 24 hrs.

Now that school is back in session, that is one of the main things the administration is stressing is well for the kiddos - washing hands properly, coughing and sneezing etiquette and as well as the fever quidelines.

There is lots of information out there. Just hope that everyone is taking the precautions serious. I think during the breakout period things could be very sluggish. Timing is everything.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:45 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
The company DH works for is really putting alot of info out there about H1N1 - like telling employees not to come into work w/ a fever and not to return until fever free for 24 hrs.

Is his company paying for the time off for staying home sick? About half the people in my office (all of those on an hourly wage), have 5 sick days a year, once those are gone, you either come in, or dont get paid.

Since many of them have kids, and we all are smashed in a cramped quarters, most of the office is sick far more days then 5 a year. So, all of the hourly employees are constantly faced with picking and choosing when they come in sick and spread it around, since none of us can afford to take unpaid time.

I consider us fairly lucky though, because there are millions of people who dont even have those 5 sick days, and millions who have none at all.

The funny thing is, the lowest waged and benefit workers, retail clerks, fast food, basic office positions, have some of the most contact with the general public, and can least afford unpaid time off.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:05 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Is his company paying for the time off for staying home sick? About half the people in my office (all of those on an hourly wage), have 5 sick days a year, once those are gone, you either come in, or dont get paid.
I'll have to ask and report back

Old 08-28-2009, 10:11 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
If it gets empidemic proportions it definely will effect both GDP and the overall economy. I would look for many non-essentail services to be shutdown if it gets bad. but we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:24 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04glow View Post
What I am asking is do you think that a lot more businesses will shut down and will affect the job market due to the nasty Swine Flu?
Not swine flu per say but couple that with a cold and snowy winter in the big North East cities and some slight economic slowdown is possible.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:27 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
Health officials in California are saying that 1 in 4 people could be affected by the H1N1 virus. This is the letter from Dr. Horton, Director of the California Dept. of Public Health. (By the way, all I can think when I see "Dr. Horton" is "Horton Hears A Who"! )

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/PublishingIma...lifornians.pdf

There are 36,400,000 people in California. If one in four is affected, that's 9,100,000 people. That's a lot! I can see it causing major problems with our economy.

I'm going to stock up on soups and OTC medicine this weekend, because it's better to be prepared than not.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
And yet schools are reporting that they will not close. If a kid is sick in school their parents will be called. Like jobs, many parents cannot take off for sick kids and we all know how many sick kids are sent to school every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics