Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 11:00 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,793,604 times

Advertisements

I just ran across this quote today, and it seems fitting for our times even though it was written two centuries ago.

Quote:
"When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes... Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."
- Napoleon Bonaparte, 1815
Feel free to add your favorite quote to the thread as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 11:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
"Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time and I am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter, I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves."

Andrew Jackson

Old 09-14-2009, 12:36 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,257 times
"Whoever controls the volume of money in our country is absolute master of all industry and commerce...when you realize that the entire system is very easily controlled, one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you will not have to be told how periods of inflation and depression originate."
James Garfield, 20th US President
Assassinated, 1881
"A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men."
Woodrow Wilson, 28th US President
from The New Freedom (1916)
lamenting his signing of
the Federal Reserve Act of 1913
Wilson attribution

"Holy crap, what just happened??!!"
Barack Hussein Obama, 44th and last US President
while boarding bullion-laden USAF jet to Paraguay

Old 09-15-2009, 09:26 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times
The Federal Reserve: An Astounding Exposure 1934

This link is actually about the FED, which are just bankers, but it is chocked full of great quotes and info.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:17 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
"All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arise not from the defects of the Constitution, not from want of honor or virtue, so much as from downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit and circulation."

-- From a letter to Thomas Jefferson in 1787

He who permits himself to tell a lie once, finds it much easier to do it a second and third time, till at length it becomes habitual; he tells lies without attending to it, and truths without the world's believing him. This falsehood of tongue leads to that of the heart, and in time depraves all its good dispositions.

--Thomas Jefferson Letter to Peter Carr (19 August 1785)

"I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."

-- Benjamin Franklin

"Save a part of your income and begin now, for the man with a surplus controls circumstances and the man without a surplus is controlled by circumstances."

-- Henry H Buckle

Old 10-04-2010, 04:47 AM

1 posts, read 6,937 times
The relationship between classical music and popular music is a controversial question. Some partisans of classical musicmay claim that classical music constitutes art and popular music only light entertainment. However, many popular works show a high level of artistry and musical innovation and many classical works are unabashedly crowd-pleasing.

http://www.ranker.com/fact-lists/recording-artists--and--groups/genres

Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I think taht the joeph keeendy quote to his sons tells alot;It really does matter what you are ;he said;it just matters what people think you are.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:43 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain.
Robert Frost

Old 10-04-2010, 09:52 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Gee...sounds a lot like what's happeneing today, no?

Have you experienced YOUR foreclosure yet???

Old 10-04-2010, 10:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Small money has rules. Big money has no rules at all but rules all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics