Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,879 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I was layed off in 11/08 and applied for unemployment (in California) at the end of that month. I am currently on my first extension and my second extension will start at the end of October. My claim expires on 11/28/09 and I want to know if my extended benefits will stop on the claim expiration date or will I still receive (ECU) unemployment checks? Or do I have to make a new claim? I have not worked at all during this year. The California EDD website does not have the answer and I can't get through on the phones or offices. It's very frustrating, but hopefully someone on the board can help?

**Note: I am not lazy... I've been trying my hardest to find a job and had several interviews, but haven't been able to secure a position.

Can anyone help me?? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,537 times
Default califonrai edd benefits, second extension cannot be filed before 11-23-09

My siduation is simlar to yours, my benefit period ends 11-23. But I understand the earliset the second extension can be filed is 11/23, so when my claim exhausts I will go a few weeks with no benefits.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,404 times
Default In same boat

My claim expired on October 25th 2009. I allready recieved one check from the second extension. Then, yesterday I recieved in the mail from EDD that I had to file a new claim. Even though I filled out my info for my upcoming check.
So now I'm really confused. Since I did not work this entire year I'm not sure if I get to use up the rest of the second extension.
I believe the extension Obama approved is the third or fourth extension.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,257 times
Hey I hear ya. I'm n the same situation as you guys. My claim expired a couple of days ago, while on my 2nd extension. Yep EDD is confusing as ****. It's like their system is set up to confuse and stress us out. Absolutely no clear answer whatsoever.

Hey! We got to hang in there and not let it stress us out.

Keep us all up to date with whats going on with your claim. I wish all the best

Last edited by Getmydrift; 11-27-2009 at 04:36 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,236 times
um ya so im in the same situation my claim is up on dec 5th they told me they would stop my second extention for a few days so they could proceed to see if i have any other funds to file a new claim and if not they would put me back on my sec extention they said i would barly notice the hold so for all you out there who have no info i hope this helps you out a bit i will keep u posted.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,089 times
Yep I'm in the same boat, mine ends 12/5/09. I just spoke with EDD, wait time was only 4 mins thank you Jesus!, and they said as long as you can not file a new claim (haven't worked in the last year to 18months) then they just have to put you back on the 2nd extention. They said I should see no interuption in my benefits. I believe you have to call to have them put you back on the extention.

Hope everything works out for you all. I know it's been hard but the Lord is good.

Praise Him!

Psalm 37:4

Old 01-13-2010, 02:18 PM

13 posts, read 162,103 times
Can you guys fill me on on what has happened since your last post? I'm in the same situation and would like to hear what the process is like. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-16-2010, 10:00 PM

7 posts, read 21,479 times
This site is very helpful. I live in California and am in the middle of my 2nd extension-I received a check today for only one week (I filled out my normal two week claim form and mailed it in). There was just the check for one week and nothing else-no letter no info nothing. I noticed that my claim expired 1/2/10 and that is the date my 1st week ended. I assumed I was fine because I had around 3000.00 left on my second extension accorsing to my last check stub. Has this happened to anyone else? There is nothing addressing this on their web site and I can't get through on the phone! UGH-so frustrating!

Old 01-29-2010, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 11,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbchick2003 View Post
This site is very helpful. I live in California and am in the middle of my 2nd extension-I received a check today for only one week (I filled out my normal two week claim form and mailed it in). There was just the check for one week and nothing else-no letter no info nothing. I noticed that my claim expired 1/2/10 and that is the date my 1st week ended. I assumed I was fine because I had around 3000.00 left on my second extension accorsing to my last check stub. Has this happened to anyone else? There is nothing addressing this on their web site and I can't get through on the phone! UGH-so frustrating!
I received an email from EDD in response to a question about my check and they reminded me that my claim expires 2/6/10 and informed me that I would have to file a new claim after that date. I too still have funds left in my second extension. I sent an email today asking why I have to file a "new claim" since I haven't exhausted the second extension. I am very concerned since this money is my lifeblood. I understood from the info I've read at EDD's website that I should not have to file a new claim. I have not worked in the past 14 months and believe I qualify for the remainder of the second extension, at least. I too am confused and very frustrated. I just wish EDD would get their act together and quit worrying us unemployed folks who are trying desperately to stay afloat not to mention find work in a CA county whose unemployment rate is 18.5%.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:48 PM

3 posts, read 11,852 times
KMRoddy -- What do you mean by haven't work for the last year to 18 months? This confuses me just a bit. I have not worked for the last 14 months. How does this affect me? Thanks for your help in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics