Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:10 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times

Advertisements

This Canadian site has a different spin how the economic recovery is going.

The Economic Recovery is an Illusion

-and-

Entering the Greatest Depression in History
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 12:07 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Nuh uh. Every drug user knows that when you are down, if you shoot up with and extra dose of tweak... maybe with a little bit of whiskey, like a 5th or so... you will be just fine.

I'm sure it works the same with the economy. Party on dude, the cops aren't even here yet!

Old 10-19-2009, 02:59 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
What we are doing is just kicking the can down the road some more. Down the road it is going to be an even bigger problem.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:03 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
I would expect middle America to actually fare better with the rampant inflation coming down the pike. The Plains states were actually doing well when oil and food inflation were a problem last year. I've noticed that even used car prices have gone crazy recently.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:19 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Nuh uh. Every drug user knows that when you are down, if you shoot up with and extra dose of tweak... maybe with a little bit of whiskey, like a 5th or so... you will be just fine.

I'm sure it works the same with the economy. Party on dude, the cops aren't even here yet!
What would help all here is to actually read the two links I posted prior to commenting. The information they contain is not often found at the publics level so it is worth reading.

Denial is not a country and will not save those living there.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:30 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,983 times
I guess people who buy Iphones and Macs didn't get the memo. Apples reports record earnings on record revenue, stock reaches all time highs.

Imagine that, in the midst of a depression expensive phones and computers being bought in record numbers. LOL!

[LEFT]Andrew Gavin Marshall is a Research Associate with the Centre for Research on Globalization (CRG). He is currently studying Political Economy and History at Simon Fraser University.

Not sure I'd be hanging my hat on this dude. Perhaps when he finishes college and gets a few decades of experience under his belt we can see whether or not he's worthy of any attention.[/LEFT]

Old 10-19-2009, 06:06 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
I would expect middle America to actually fare better with the rampant inflation coming down the pike. The Plains states were actually doing well when oil and food inflation were a problem last year. I've noticed that even used car prices have gone crazy recently.
of course used car prices go up when you destroy a lot of the inventory (and really wasn't that the point?), and particularly when people are smart enough not to go into huge debt for new cars during an economic crisis.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:08 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
not only isn't there an economic recovery, but where is the outrage? this may be a fairly long article but it is easy to understand and he pulls together information from a lot of sites:

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Where The Hell Is The Outrage? after all the explanations for why you should be mad, he wants to know where the outrage is?

I am outraged and not just about Goldman Sachs, but about a process that allows, even encourages political pandering, by time and time again rewarding leveraged riverboat gamblers and failed institutions and at taxpayer expense.

I am outraged that real people are suffering massively while the influence peddlers have stolen the country for their own personal benefit.

I am outraged at a political system that is totally unresponsive to the American people.

I am outraged by campaign contribution and lobbying processes that allows corporations to buy votes with donations.

I am outraged how legislators ignored the wishes of the people who clearly did not want these bailouts in the first place.

I am outraged that very little of this is in mainstream media. Why is this stuff not on the frontpage of every newspaper in the country or at least in the editorial pages?

I am outraged that the average US citizen is not aware of any of this, instead depending on CNBC, or "The View" for their interpretation of the world.

I am outraged how special interest groups have exercised their power to monopolize the economy for the benefit of themselves, US citizens be damned.

I am outraged that all these bailout programs are doing nothing to alleviate the massive consumer debt problems. Every program, virtually every program was designed to bailout lending institutions, not consumers.

I am outraged at fees charged by banks receiving bailouts.

I am outraged over government pension plans and government pay scales massively out of line with the private sector.

I am outraged that Congress and this administration thinks the solution to massive budget deficits are still higher budget deficits in excess of a trillion dollars.

I am outraged about indictments. Paulson Admitted Coercion to force a shotgun wedding between Bank of America and Merrill Lynch yet no indictments were handed out. Let the Criminal Indictments Begin: Paulson, Bernanke, Lewis.

I am outraged that US citizens are not concerned enough and not educated enough to demand change.

I am outraged that the two party system has failed. Neither party has delivered meaningful change on budgets, on taxes, on social security, on deficit spending, on the size of government, on military spending, or fighting needless wars.

I am outraged at a Fed that purports to be "inflation fighters" when the only source of inflation in the word are central bankers, and their fractional reserve lending policies.

I am outraged that Greenspan and Bernanke could not see a housing bubble that 1000 bloggers could see.

I am outraged at the selective memory of Bernanke when speaking to Congress about these problems.

I am outraged that Bernanke's one sided response to asset bubbles, letting them grow without end, then bailing out the financial institutions that cause them.

I am outraged the Fed exists at all. It is a useless organization that cannot see bubbles, that panders to banks, that supports inflationary policies that are tantamount to theft by fraud.

I am outraged that the Obama Administration promised changed and did not deliver. "Yes We Can" was a lie. The reality is "It's Business As Usual, Only Worse, With Higher Deficits".

I am outraged there is not enough outrage over this.

Where the hell is the outrage?

Old 10-19-2009, 06:19 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
This Canadian site has a different spin how the economic recovery is going.

Entering the Greatest Depression in History
That site usually has the most bearish slant. The second link left out the treasury bond bubble and its ramifications for the federal budget, the states and cities, and real estate when it finally bursts. Einhorn is betting big on US-exported inflation forcing other governments to raise their interest rates and causing a debt financing crisis in the United States.

Einhorn bets on major currency ‘death spiral’ - MarketWatch

Old 10-19-2009, 06:29 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
What would help all here is to actually read the two links I posted prior to commenting. The information they contain is not often found at the publics level so it is worth reading.

Denial is not a country and will not save those living there.
I did and posted a blurb from it in the retirement thread where you also linked it. Are they headquartered in Roswell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics