Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:49 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times

Advertisements

Well we'll just have to disagree jimhcom, I find humor in you wanting more posts from an astrologer on the economic forum, you don't.

I find humor in how often you insult others (your last post attacking another poster as "Looser-id" who isn't even in the thread) then weep and tear at your clothing over insults by others.

How's that Depression 2011 prediction coming along for you?

Last edited by slackjaw; 02-03-2011 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 07:22 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Well we'll just have to disagree jimhcom, I find humor in you wanting more posts from an astrologer on the economic forum, you don't.

I find humor in how often you insult others (your last post attacking another poster as "Looser-id" who isn't even in the thread) then weep and tear at your clothing over insults by others.

How's that Depression 2011 prediction coming along for you?
Right on track, hows the Pheonix real estate market coming along for you?

Old 02-04-2011, 07:32 AM

It is "Phoenix" like the bird, although I know little kids tend to spell it "Pheonix" since they have to sound things out to spell. The Phoenix real estate market is crap and likely will be over the next few years, which I'm sure in your mind means your prediction of the United States having a Depression 2011 right on track.

But hey we've got even better stuff for 2012 from you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Unemployment tops 20%.
Public unrest beginning and dissenters labeled as "domestic terrorists". Military used to enforce order.
Commercial real estate crash affects Stock Markets, S&P drops to 450.
Food, Water, and Utility, prices double.
Homelessness doubles.
U.S. Government debt tops 20 trillion and dollar looses 50% of value. Prices rise for all commodities and imports.
Crime and suicide increase while Police and essential services are drastically cut.
Government uses immigrants as scapegoat for unemployment.
Wars and rumors of wars persist.
Stock up on canned beans man! It must suck to have to rationalize over and over how wrong you are.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:16 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Personally I respect astrology and I have used it effectively throughout my life. Making predicitions with astrology makes as much sense to me as making predicitions based on any other source. However, I take ALL predictions with a grain of salt, regardless of the source. No one knows how the future will play out...we'll just have to wait and see.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
It is "Phoenix" like the bird, although I know little kids tend to spell it "Pheonix" since they have to sound things out to spell. The Phoenix real estate market is crap and likely will be over the next few years, which I'm sure in your mind means your prediction of the United States having a Depression 2011 right on track.

Stock up on canned beans man! It must suck to have to rationalize over and over how wrong you are.
Who cares how it is spelled, I only hope I am never hard up enough to have to live there. Since answering your posts has become a waste of time, due to the fact that it just degenerates into sniping back and forth I have decided to do us both a favor and place you, along with your best friend, on my ignore list. It is a shame you do not use a little of the effort you spend on sarcasm and bitterness on honest debate.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:04 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:

like most chicken littles they keep hoping and hoping their crappy spins on life materialize so those that have done better then them financially fail but history so far has made them the big losers from following and believing their own bull sh*t.. dont forget most of these folks usually dont even have the money to put it where their mouth is and bet on their own gloomy outlook by shortiing markets or even buying up gold with all their money because they rarely have any from their lack of investing either in markets or in themselves. ,hense their hoping you just fail so you can match their failure and their success in life will be going around claiming they were right. ,. one day they will be right but ill enjoy the positives in life and find better ways of growing financially with the cards we are dealt instead of complaining about them.

like i said,it is all about playing those cards. when we reviewed 2010 we figured out we spent an extra 1k on fuel ,heat and food , i was on my 3rd job in 1 year .. that sucked. however our net worth was up 150x that from our investments. its all about turn off the noise and predictions , make a plan and strategy that works on all parts of the market cycles fairly well and stop trying to concentrate on finding every negative aspect in life so you can go see i was the smart one because that will only make you committ financial suicide most likely.

the forbes 500 are atill holding that spot open for their first doomsdayer and their first market timers who call it right..

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-05-2011 at 02:57 AM..

Old 02-05-2011, 07:42 AM

It is an interesting phenomenon in that when economic conditions start to improve any segment showing improvement is immediately discounted as important and the focus is quickly shifted to other problems, to the point of claiming the economy as a whole is no better than a couple years ago.

They have determined things are going down the toilet and no matter what happens that is what they'll see. Martial law by 2012?

Old 02-05-2011, 08:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
like most chicken littles they keep hoping and hoping their crappy spins on life materialize so those that have done better then them financially fail but history so far has made them the big losers from following and believing their own bull sh*t.. dont forget most of these folks usually dont even have the money to put it where their mouth is and bet on their own gloomy outlook by shortiing markets or even buying up gold with all their money because they rarely have any from their lack of investing either in markets or in themselves. ,hense their hoping you just fail so you can match their failure and their success in life will be going around claiming they were right. ,. one day they will be right but ill enjoy the positives in life and find better ways of growing financially with the cards we are dealt instead of complaining about them.

like i said,it is all about playing those cards. when we reviewed 2010 we figured out we spent an extra 1k on fuel ,heat and food , i was on my 3rd job in 1 year .. that sucked. however our net worth was up 150x that from our investments. its all about turn off the noise and predictions , make a plan and strategy that works on all parts of the market cycles fairly well and stop trying to concentrate on finding every negative aspect in life so you can go see i was the smart one because that will only make you committ financial suicide most likely.

the forbes 500 are atill holding that spot open for their first doomsdayer and their first market timers who call it right..
I don't know about market timers but Roubini did call it right back in 2006.
You see when times are good no one wants to listen to any doomsayers.
I had read Roubini's speech to the IMF and didn't pay much mind. But when the market started getting wonky in 2007 I got out to sit on the sidelines and went back and re-read it.

In fact....NYT wrote about it in 2008:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/ma...1&ref=business

Old 02-05-2011, 08:13 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
for each of us the proof is in our own pudding. if things are okay to better for us then things are looking up. if thinks look crappy and one is doing poorly or less good then nothings changed.

the issue is for many they are a self-fullfilling prophacy... they believe the markets are crooked and rigged so they arent successful investors, they believe starting a business is no good because they feel the time is never right or it wont work... they wait for things at work to be handed to them as far as moving up the ladder instead of having a plan to make themselves the best of breed at their company, the list goes on and on.

id be willing to bet most of the doom and gloomers have done poor to fair thru life and have little to show for their working years just scrapping by pay check to paycheck..

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-05-2011 at 08:37 AM..

Old 02-05-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

Just exactly where do you get the opinion that anyone who disagrees with your position has been less successful than you?
I would take the opposite position. I have found over the years that being a contrarian investor has paid off very well. Although I will admit you have to listen to the sheep, who all follow the heard, constantly tell you how you are missing the boat, that is right up to the time when the market turns and burns their profits and their principal to the ground. Then you have to listen to their crying and whining about their losses. I tend instead to be attracted to a market that others shun, that is until they begin to rise. When the majority of the money has already been made, the sheeple get in and enjoy a short period of patting themselves on the back and deluding themselves about their investing prowess, only to have the market whipsaw and take them to the cleaners. Of course by then I am already long gone, as I know when the majority are all ready in; there is no place to go but down. There is a reason only 1% of the population ever makes any real money. It is because you have to have the courage to follow your own path, and not run with the crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics