Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:37 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,026,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
And if you do you will find countries that fail your test. You were simply incorrect and making broad comments about Japan that are not based on any apparent first hand knowledge.
If you think I'm incorrect actually demonstrate it instead of focusing on some trite distinction that has nothing to do with my underlying point.

My point is rather simple, looking at migration numbers does not really tell you about nations respective "attractiveness" because each nation has different immigration laws. Japan has particularly tough immigration laws, you cite some recent events as an example of this not being the case. But that is stupid, Japan continues to have tough immigration laws and the recent events you are speaking of are extremely controversial.

In terms of Xenophobia, that is something that is a bit harder to demonstrate statistically. But I think their immigration laws and attitudes towards such show it nicely, so does their actions in WW2. But whether or not Japan is a xenophobic nation or not is irrelevant to the point I'm making. The important issue is that nations differ in their openness towards others, but culturally and legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 04:58 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,178,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
If you think I'm incorrect actually demonstrate it instead of focusing on some trite distinction that has nothing to do with my underlying point. .....
.... But I think ....
You answered your own question. You are offering your opinion. And it is not trite because......

Your point was that you can't judge countries by their immigration numbers, yet in almost the same breath, you did exactly this to make your point. You said that Japan didn't have immigration because they were xenophobic and unfriendly towards lower skilled people. Calling a people xenophobic and unfriendly is making a judgement. This is exactly what you lectured the rest of us should not do. Amazing.

You made this "judgement" about Japan based solely on their low immigration numbers. By your own admission without knowing these statistics or first hand experience there. You even dismissed this first hand experience as "not interested" by rudely yawning in an attempt to distract from this error.

Sometimes you ought to read the stuff you write here.

Last edited by lumbollo; 12-08-2009 at 05:28 AM..

Old 12-09-2009, 04:02 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,026,353 times
Quote:
Your point was that you can't judge countries by their immigration numbers, yet in almost the same breath, you did exactly this to make your point.
Do you suffer from some sort of reading comprehension problem? My point was that you can't judge the inherent "attractiveness" of a country (as the other poster was doing) by looking at in/out immigration numbers as each country has different attitudes culturally and legally towards immigration. The point was NOT that a nations immigrations say nothing about the country, that would be silly.

Quote:
.... This is exactly what you lectured the rest of us should not do. Amazing.
Nope, I merely pointing out that using immigrations to determine a nations attractiveness on global scale makes little sense. Nothing more nothing less.

Quote:
You made this "judgement" about Japan based solely on their low immigration numbers. By your own admission without knowing these statistics or first hand experience there. You even dismissed this first hand experience as "not interested" by rudely yawning in an attempt to distract from this error.
No, I made the statements I did about Japan because I know about the country. But whether my comments about Japan are true or false does not effect the validity of my point. As a result I'm not going to waste my time debating about them. Could you please focus on the actual point?

And yes, I have no interest in your experience of Japan. Why would I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics