U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 06:13 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,617,666 times

Advertisements

The apples you are eating today were probably grown last season. This of course excludes local produce and organic stuff. The big guys store them for months.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 07:41 PM

29,832 posts, read 47,784,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Apples can be warehoused for several months in cold storage, or longer in high tech cold storage.

US Apple: Consumers - FAQs: Apple Storage Technologies (http://www.usapple.org/consumers/storage.cfm - broken link)

bill
Yes,

Bananas are picked green. They will stay green a really long time, until you hit them with gas to force them yellow.

Apples are not like that. Apples [depending on variety] have a much shorter shelf life. They are picked ripe, and, .... eventually they bruise.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:09 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,994,467 times
"the flooding of the market a few years back with apples from China" - that is why you need to read the country of origin on your produce. Or ask at the farmstands where they were grown. Just cause they are sold at a farmstand, doesn't mean they were grown locally.
But yeah, who knows where the apples that get made into juice come from...

Old 12-08-2009, 10:03 AM

250 posts, read 796,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
IIRC, there are other issues with apple production. The elimination of one particular pesticide (alcar?) based on hysteria from junk science, the change that disallowed the use of "drops" (fallen apples) in various products, the flooding of the market a few years back with apples from China, and changing consumer patterns and store policies have all contributed to high pricing.

What blows my mind is that apples are now often higher in cost per pound than pork or chicken, which are a more labor intensive and complicated product. To me, it indicates the marketplace in general being corrupted and failing.
The gov't subsidizes corn which feeds animals, and is a subsidy for meat.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 130 times
@REmember mee, im very glad you pose the question!
Why apples prices cannot be brought down to banana levels?
The answer is very simple- because you'd need slaves who are paid nothing to produce them if you want them to level the banana prices. To elaborate a bit more on the topic, that's how bananas are produced in parts of the world where people are paid nearly nothing so others can buy them for low prices!
If you know just a tiny bit of history- you'd find out that Chiquita (that famous banana company and one of the biggest banana producers), before known as United Fruit company, exploited other countries so much so that bananas would be 4X cheaper than a locally produced fruit such as apple in the US.
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCXW26UUWeU[/url]

Old 11-27-2018, 06:43 PM

17,754 posts, read 12,422,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Bananas are picked when green, by workers earning pennies. They can be shipped or warehoused for months without harm.

Apples can only be picked when they are ripe, and they are picked by workers making a lot more money. Apples can not be warehoused.
Well thatís absolutely false

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...ths-old-2017-4

Old 11-27-2018, 07:25 PM

29,832 posts, read 47,784,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I have an apple orchard.

I am not aware of any apple variety that can be picked green, warehoused and later force-ripened the way that Bananas are.

Most of my apple varieties would go bad, if you attempted long term storage.

btw, when you say 'absolutely' it implies that you were talking about all of the post, not a tiny fraction of said post.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:05 PM

2,460 posts, read 901,110 times
Here in Philippines we pay 15c/us for a medium sized apple, tennis-ball size, sold by the piece. I understand they come from China, they are seasonally excellent, crisp an sweet and tasty in fall and winter.

Bananas grow here abundantly, anybody with a yard grows their own. In the market they are 50c/us a pound, about the same as imported apples.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:54 PM

17,754 posts, read 12,422,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have an apple orchard.

I am not aware of any apple variety that can be picked green, warehoused and later force-ripened the way that Bananas are.

Most of my apple varieties would go bad, if you attempted long term storage.

btw, when you say 'absolutely' it implies that you were talking about all of the post, not a tiny fraction of said post.
It should be clear what I was calling absolutely false as I took the time to bold the text. What is bolded is absolutely false no matter how many apples you may grow

Old 11-28-2018, 02:00 AM

21,189 posts, read 26,181,713 times
A banana plant is cheap to buy. It is not necessary to buy them once you have a start. They can re replicated easily. Apple trees must be produced from patented root stock and grafted with the desired variety. Most of the commercial varites are patented with a patent fee to pay on every tree. There are, at a minimum, two transplants involved for every tree that makes it to the orchard.

A banana plant produces the first year. An apple tree is 5 years in the orchard and probably 2 years before that in the nursery, before it bears fruit and it isn't in full production until it is 8 years in the orchard.

20 pounds of bananas can be picked with one swipe of a machete wielded by a worker earning $1 an hour and standing on the ground. Apples must be picked one at a time by a worker standing on a ladder, whose wages vary depending upon what country the apples are grown in.

Bananas don't have a lot of pests that require spraying. Apples are plagued by assorted insects, diseases, and mildews that require treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or