U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 02:11 AM

21,189 posts, read 26,181,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
...........Apples can grow just about anywhere in Midwest, NE, South (with a few days of frost), yet bulk of the American apples is grown in WA semi-desert. WA+NY+MI > 60% of apples grown. ............
Apples need a cold winter and mildews and pests are reduced with dry weather. Most types of fruit trees are healthier if they get water at the roots but not on the leafs. That means a location with low rain and available irrigation water.

The eastern states have a cedar rust that kills apple trees and is very difficult to fight.

Apples can be grown almost everywhere in the USA, if the right variety is grown, but it isnt economical to grow vast orchards of them just any where. A home apple tree is a completely different situation. OP, if you want apples, perhaps grow your own apple tree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 06:04 AM
Status: "Welcome To The Hotel Pennsylvania" (set 50 minutes ago)

9,553 posts, read 3,289,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I like apples way more than bananas. I'm somewhat perplexed by the price differences. Apples can grow just about anywhere in Midwest, NE, South (with a few days of frost), yet bulk of the American apples is grown in WA semi-desert. WA+NY+MI > 60% of apples grown. Apple industry worked hard to decrease variety of apples sold from 600 (early 1900s) to 5-6 (today). Yet, the prices of 1lb of apples (at the peak of season) is about twice of that for 1lb of bananas. bananas only grow in equatorial environments and have to be shipped quite a distance. It takes months to mature. Why apple prices cannot be brought down to banana levels?
I actually just read an article on apples. My guess would be the following:
1. Supply and demand. You like apples? Great! You're going to pay for them.
2. Cost to grow apples is quite a bit higher - more maintenance, more work, higher labor costs.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:18 AM

22,924 posts, read 28,837,770 times
the real question is why are bananas so yummy but banana flavored candy is so gross?

Old 11-28-2018, 07:00 PM

4,953 posts, read 2,362,934 times
Overall both apples and bananas are fairly cheap in the United States, and a good part of any household food bduegt that wants to have some diversity/nutrition without high cost.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:19 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,793,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have an apple orchard.

I am not aware of any apple variety that can be picked green, warehoused and later force-ripened the way that Bananas are.

Most of my apple varieties would go bad, if you attempted long term storage......

You don't have an apple orchard. You grow old time apples.

We moved into "apple" country in 1985. We lived next to an apple orchard prior to moving into apple country. I told my my real estate agent I wouldn't mind living next to an "apple orchard" again. She was shocked!! Why would anybody in their right mind want to live next to a Industrial Apple Growing area??

Apples are big business. Science based. Apples are picked ripe and stored for a year in controlled atmosphere storage. They come out of cold storage only because the new crop is coming in and need to be moved.

Somebody made a comment about converting apple orchards to a "higher use". Currently orchard lands are going for 70-100 thousand an acre. Subdivisions land prices are about the same so there is little incentive to convert orchards to homes.

There are no longer "trees" growing orchards. They are trellis systems that look more shrubs than trees.

They are mylar sheets on the ground to make sure the bottom of the apples color up just like that tops. There is shade cloth over the trees to make sure that the tops of the apple do not sunburn.

New apple varieties are coming out all the time.....look for the Cosmic Crisp apple in your grocery the next couple of years.

As someone mentioned it is all grown in the Washington desert where rainfall is from 4-8 inches A YEAR. So irrigation give absolute control over the growth of the apples.

Washington apples are sold throughout the world and the industry has roots throughout the world. I suspect there are people in Chile, New Zealand, and other spots in the world that think eastern Washington is the center of the universe!!

In the end, the price of apples is set by supply and demand. There is more world-wide demand for apples than bananas....and more importantly the apple industry has responded to consumer demand. Bananas are still bananas, just like they have been for the past hundred years.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:22 PM

8,359 posts, read 3,532,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the real question is why are bananas so yummy but banana flavored candy is so gross?
I've made this in the lab:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoamyl_acetate

Old 11-28-2018, 08:27 PM

16,984 posts, read 51,741,577 times
" Bananas are still bananas, just like they have been for the past hundred years."

The one variety is still the dominant one in the marketplace, but my wife grew bananas for us in south Florida. Some of them were amazing - much smaller, but tasting almost like an ice cream without the coldness. I have no recollection of where she bought the corms, we went to a number of places. Maybe the Davie area???

The high-end market for specialty bananas has not yet taken off. When it does...

Old 11-28-2018, 08:28 PM

29,832 posts, read 47,784,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
You don't have an apple orchard. You grow old time apples.

We moved into "apple" country in 1985.
In 1985 most of my apple varieties did not exist yet.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In 1985 most of my apple varieties did not exist yet.
Have you been to eastern Washington and the apple growing region?? You really should make a trip out west.

Most of the commercial apple varieties did not exist in the commercial market at that time, but they were being developed and grown here before being available nation-wide.

There is nothing wrong with the mom and pop apple industry in the rest of the US, but it really is the difference between between a local bookstore and Amazon.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"

The high-end market for specialty bananas has not yet taken off. When it does...
Yep, I grew up in Venezuela. Your absolutely right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or