U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 08:41 PM

29,832 posts, read 47,784,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Have you been to eastern Washington and the apple growing region?? You really should make a trip out west.
I am from California, and I owned a home in Washington for about 5 years. My father was a farmer, he owned orchards and he share-cropped orchards. I grew-up farming.

So yes I have been out West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 10:13 PM

17,754 posts, read 12,422,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am from California, and I owned a home in Washington for about 5 years. My father was a farmer, he owned orchards and he share-cropped orchards. I grew-up farming.

So yes I have been out West.
You own an orchard, your dad did as well and grew up farming and you had no idea that apples could be warehoused? Something doesn’t add up as warehousing has been very common if not the norm in the Apple business for some time

Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM

10,358 posts, read 6,663,617 times
And apple juice is better than banana juice.

Old Today, 04:09 AM
BMI

6,566 posts, read 3,884,559 times
Quote:
Yes,

Bananas are picked green. They will stay green a really long time, until you hit them with gas to force them yellow.

Apples are not like that. Apples [depending on variety] have a much shorter shelf life. They are picked ripe, and, .... eventually they bruise.
Good you mentioned bruise.....

What really really bugs me is it seems bananas bruise very easily....

I buy a lot of bananas and it is hard to get ones that are not bruised,
I find much more so than any other fruit .....including apples.

Old Today, 08:43 AM

29,832 posts, read 47,784,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You own an orchard, your dad did as well and grew up farming and you had no idea that apples could be warehoused? Something doesn’t add up as warehousing has been very common if not the norm in the Apple business for some time
My production [pork, poultry, fiddleheads, apples, honey, and maple] goes to local consumers. None of it leaves this state.

I know a lot of farmers in my state, the only farms focused on out-of-state markets are the blueberry guys and some of the maple guys. Most of our maple stays local. A few of the larger maple operations go out-of-state simply because the big bottling plants are located out-of-state [once it is trucked out of state and bottled it is counted as having been produced in that other state].

I am not aware of any procedure that can force green apples to ripen while in cold storage. Our apples are picked when they are ripe, and all of our apples are crushed/pressed to make hard cider. The varieties that I grow are selected specifically for hard cider. I dont have any dessert or table apples.

Old Today, 01:21 PM

17,754 posts, read 12,422,411 times
Quote:
My production [pork, poultry, fiddleheads, apples, honey, and maple] goes to local consumers. None of it leaves this state.

I know a lot of farmers in my state, the only farms focused on out-of-state markets are the blueberry guys and some of the maple guys. Most of our maple stays local. A few of the larger maple operations go out-of-state simply because the big bottling plants are located out-of-state [once it is trucked out of state and bottled it is counted as having been produced in that other state].

I am not aware of any procedure that can force green apples to ripen while in cold storage. Our apples are picked when they are ripe, and all of our apples are crushed/pressed to make hard cider. The varieties that I grow are selected specifically for hard cider. I dont have any dessert or table apples.
All this post is mostly irrelevant. You stated apples canít be warehoused and that is far from the truth and the fact you had no clue this existed even though itís a well known practice just pair up with the fact that a lot of your stories never add up. Your comment was never about forcing green apples to ripen while in cold storage, thatís just a change you have to retroactively ass in when your bs is pointed out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or