U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 11:20 AM

4,830 posts, read 4,844,036 times

Advertisements

I like apples way more than bananas. I'm somewhat perplexed by the price differences. Apples can grow just about anywhere in Midwest, NE, South (with a few days of frost), yet bulk of the American apples is grown in WA semi-desert. WA+NY+MI > 60% of apples grown. Apple industry worked hard to decrease variety of apples sold from 600 (early 1900s) to 5-6 (today). Yet, the prices of 1lb of apples (at the peak of season) is about twice of that for 1lb of bananas. bananas only grow in equatorial environments and have to be shipped quite a distance. It takes months to mature. Why apple prices cannot be brought down to banana levels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 12:35 PM

28,394 posts, read 68,375,711 times
Banana plantations are productive year round, or at least the distribution channel is broad enough that the various zones are all integrated so that the supply is constant year round.

Apples are seasonal, and whenever there are peaks and valleys in supply the price is pretty close to impossible to flatten. Further the competition for alternative uses of the land that apple orchards occupy is much higher than the alternatives for plantations. Temperature regions can be used for a huge range of crops...

Old 12-07-2009, 09:22 AM

433 posts, read 1,064,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I like apples way more than bananas. I'm somewhat perplexed by the price differences. Apples can grow just about anywhere in Midwest, NE, South (with a few days of frost), yet bulk of the American apples is grown in WA semi-desert. WA+NY+MI > 60% of apples grown. Apple industry worked hard to decrease variety of apples sold from 600 (early 1900s) to 5-6 (today). Yet, the prices of 1lb of apples (at the peak of season) is about twice of that for 1lb of bananas. bananas only grow in equatorial environments and have to be shipped quite a distance. It takes months to mature. Why apple prices cannot be brought down to banana levels?
And don't forget labor costs of $1 to 5 per DAY versus min $7.25 per hour..

Old 12-07-2009, 12:35 PM

16,961 posts, read 51,707,624 times
IIRC, there are other issues with apple production. The elimination of one particular pesticide (alcar?) based on hysteria from junk science, the change that disallowed the use of "drops" (fallen apples) in various products, the flooding of the market a few years back with apples from China, and changing consumer patterns and store policies have all contributed to high pricing.

What blows my mind is that apples are now often higher in cost per pound than pork or chicken, which are a more labor intensive and complicated product. To me, it indicates the marketplace in general being corrupted and failing.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:53 PM

10,489 posts, read 22,649,666 times
Bananas are actually a superfood that are more nutritious than apples. Not only that, they taste better, and a way more resistant to pesticides. I am glad they are cheaper than apples.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:33 PM

8,998 posts, read 12,813,469 times
Banana here cost .69 a lb at the grocery store I shop at.
Apples are $1.00 a lb.

I have to have a taste for bananas and I'm really getting into apples.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:48 PM

29,815 posts, read 47,761,515 times
Bananas are picked when green, by workers earning pennies. They can be shipped or warehoused for months without harm.

Apples can only be picked when they are ripe, and they are picked by workers making a lot more money. Apples can not be warehoused.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:02 PM

29,815 posts, read 47,761,515 times
Also I have read that from colonial days right up to prohibition days; that hard apple cider was the drink of choice.

Every region, every state could produce local apple cider, so no trucking was required.

During prohibition many things changed. Which may have included apple orchards being ripped out.

After prohibition beer became 'king'. There were no 'micro-breweries either. Big brewers ran factories producing massive amounts of beer and it was trucked coast-to-coast.

Also as a factoid, before prohibition all of the English speaking world used the term 'cider' to mean fermented apple juice. During prohibition one cider bottler continued to make their patented bottles, they filled the bottles with filtered apple juice and kept the labels calling it 'cider'. By the time that prohibition ended, the American consumer had gotten used to calling apple juice by the name: 'cider', so the name stuck.

Now in brewing circles, it adds to the confusion as consumers want to call juice by it's fermented name.

[did I mention that I have an apple orchard?]

Old 12-07-2009, 06:03 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,745,132 times
Read the history of United Fruit and in particular look at the involvement of the Eisenhower administration on their behalf in the 1950s. It will become very clear after that.

United Fruit Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-07-2009, 06:07 PM

2,372 posts, read 1,601,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Bananas are picked when green, by workers earning pennies. They can be shipped or warehoused for months without harm.

Apples can only be picked when they are ripe, and they are picked by workers making a lot more money. Apples can not be warehoused.
Apples can be warehoused for several months in cold storage, or longer in high tech cold storage.

US Apple: Consumers - FAQs: Apple Storage Technologies (http://www.usapple.org/consumers/storage.cfm - broken link)

bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or