Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:01 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Read the tax rules.

The max per year you can donate is $13,000 per family member per year, it's not unlimited. Incidents where one donates 5 years of "Tax Free" transfers at once (which is possible normally) after getting a death sentence has never flown father then a judges bench before ruling for the IRS. It's pretty classic tax fraud.

That is pretty easy to go after from filings from the executor and the families tax returns, they go through with a fine toothed comb when no third parties are involved, and tax fraud just gets your 5 kids into federal pound-you-in-the-rear prison. Great way to care for the grandkids from there, assuming the spouse didn't know and can keep them.
Interesting.

I don't know if they'd be in prison (at least not after an endless series of appeals) but that $13,000 donation limit is news to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 08:11 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Interesting.

I don't know if they'd be in prison (at least not after an endless series of appeals) but that $13,000 donation limit is news to me.
A person can donate on Dec 30 $13K to a husband and $13k to wife which would be $26k. Jan 2 repeat step 1 above for a total of $52k in 1 weeks time but in 2 different years. You could also give each kid the same amount if you'd like to give it to the kids.

Debt does not automatically go to the kids. If he has assets they can be sold to pay off debt but if he has no assets his estate has no money to pay the lenders and they are SOL.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
A person can donate on Dec 30 $13K to a husband and $13k to wife which would be $26k. Jan 2 repeat step 1 above for a total of $52k in 1 weeks time but in 2 different years. You could also give each kid the same amount if you'd like to give it to the kids.

Debt does not automatically go to the kids. If he has assets they can be sold to pay off debt but if he has no assets his estate has no money to pay the lenders and they are SOL.
Hmm, it gets more interesting.

That's what I thought about the credit card company - they'd have to "eat" his end-of-life expenses.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Hmm, it gets more interesting.

That's what I thought about the credit card company - they'd have to "eat" his end-of-life expenses.
When my MIL was elderly we talked to a local estate attorney who advised us how to set up & get rid of her estate and stay legal.

I would highly recommend a good local estate / tax attorney since state laws vary. You don't want to get in trouble.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
When my MIL was elderly we talked to a local estate attorney who advised us how to set up & get rid of her estate and stay legal.

I would highly recommend a good local estate / tax attorney since state laws vary. You don't want to get in trouble.
LOL, both situations are merely hypothetical.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:25 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
Yes, they are both hypothetical, but could be real. Are both unethical...probably yes. Is that also the risk the creditors (credit card owners) put forth? Yes. So they are both at fault. You also loan money at a risk and account for that risk that someone won't pay it back. That is also why there are credit limits and they equate their risk among individuals.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
LOL, both situations are merely hypothetical.
When my MIL finally passed away we received a credit card in the mail with the name "Estate of *****" with a $2000 limit I thought briefly that we kids should go ahead and have a $2000 party on her or buy a big screen TV as her last gift to us for putting up with her.

How stupid is it to issue a credit card to a dead womans estate who died completely broke ? We cut up the card but I was tempted.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:24 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,996,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Read the tax rules.

The max per year you can donate is $13,000 per family member per year, it's not unlimited. Incidents where one donates 5 years of "Tax Free" transfers at once (which is possible normally) after getting a death sentence has never flown father then a judges bench before ruling for the IRS. It's pretty classic tax fraud.

That is pretty easy to go after from filings from the executor and the families tax returns, they go through with a fine toothed comb when no third parties are involved, and tax fraud just gets your 5 kids into federal pound-you-in-the-rear prison. Great way to care for the grandkids from there, assuming the spouse didn't know and can keep them.
$13,000 per person per year is the annual exemption for gift tax. There is nothing that prevents someone from giving away far more than that every year. Amounts over $13k per year are subject to gift tax, but the tax liability is the donor's, not the recipients'. So no, there's no "tax fraud," and no PMITA prison waiting for the kids, certainly not with this amount, because there won't be any gift tax due unless the total of taxable gifts reaches $1 million.

What might be an issue are state laws governing fraudulent conveyance of assets. People facing insolvency can't just transfer their remaining assets away to keep creditors from getting them. The creditors might try to go after the kids with the threat that they were involved in a scheme to defraud them, but there's no guarantee the kids would be liable.

Last edited by Naptowner; 01-05-2010 at 07:36 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 07:42 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
If he sets up his estate correctly there will be no tax burden to the heirs. His action to max out credit cards and he happens to die - who knows he committed fraud? You or I could go on holiday and max out our cards and die while on vacation. While the former was premeditated but who really knows for sure? It could be assumed things in life happen. Sure it's unethical but isn't it like the tree that falls in the forest - did it make a noise?
In this case, it would be very easy to see that the guy committed fraud. The guy received a terminal diagnosis from his doctor and then went on the spending spree right up until the time he passed away. That is absolutely nothing like going on vacation and dying of accidental causes. Completely apples to oranges here and a very obvious fraud case in the first scenario.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:30 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
<shrug> so he takes out the credit card "insurance" that pays off the debt in the event of his death.

The whole hypothetical is silly anyway, we all know the medical community would get every last dime and then some anyway. Who is to say that a test wasn't performed when the patient can't complain about the overbilling?

FWIW, the idea has been around for ages. It used to be couched as "You buy a number of cars on credit, one for each offspring. You then take out the insurance policy that pays off the loan if you die. Those policies have no physicals or pre-qualifiers."

All any of this amounts to is taking advantage of poorly worded contracts. Businesses and people do that all the time and get away with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics