Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:56 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
They are for me and millions of other CU members.
Yep, and there are even more millions that use large banks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 09:05 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yep, and there are even more millions that use large banks.
Last word from you on this?

Old 01-09-2010, 04:44 PM

64 posts, read 80,151 times
They need to kick those scummy bankers to the curb or jailed after all this mess on good hard working Americans.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:38 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
Word will come out this week that bonuses paid to GS and others will be at record levels.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Word will come out this week that bonuses paid to GS and others will be at record levels.
I read an article on that today. They have billions set aside for bonus and are worried how the public will take it. Gee, the poor bankers.
With an average of $500K as a bonus I'd feel like I won the lottery if I got that much as a bonus. And to think, they earned that all off of government borrowed money. They should be thanking us as they cash those nice checks.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I read an article on that today. They have billions set aside for bonus and are worried how the public will take it. Gee, the poor bankers.
With an average of $500K as a bonus I'd feel like I won the lottery if I got that much as a bonus. And to think, they earned that all off of government borrowed money. They should be thanking us as they cash those nice checks.
I doubt that "checks" will be involved at all. Those are only used for working folks not the elite. The elite get e-money which we all know is limitless anyway.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:12 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Be sure and watch the video!

"The idea is simple: If enough people who have money in one of the big four banks move it into smaller, more local, more traditional community banks, then collectively we, the people, will have taken a big step toward re-rigging the financial system so it becomes again the productive, stable engine for growth it's meant to be. It's neither Left nor Right -- it's populism at its best. Consider it a withdrawal tax on the big banks for the negative service they provide by consistently ignoring the public interest. It's time for Americans to move their money out of these reckless behemoths. And you don't have to worry, there is zero risk: deposit insurance is just as good at small banks -- and unlike the big banks they don't provide the toxic dividend of derivatives trading in a heads-they-win, tails-we-lose fashion."

Take Your Money Out of the Hands of the Banking Oligarchs | Take Action | AlterNet

Move Your Money
I agree with you. I was saying this more than 10 years ago. I'd ask people why they went to big banks that charged rip off fees for everything. It just didn't make sense to me. So what if the big banks have a million ATMs? I could see the danger of the big banks getting bigger and bigger even then.

This will sound snotty of me....but people are just kinda dense when it comes to this stuff....and lazy.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

This will sound snotty of me....but people are just kinda dense when it comes to this stuff....and lazy.
Yep, tis true.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:27 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
I used to bank at a community bank years ago but they got bought out by Chase. What if the Big Banks buy up everything and put the small guys out of business like Walmart does?

Whatever happened to antitrust laws anyway?

Huffington Post - Stop the Abuse: It's Time to Break Up With Your Big Bank

Old 01-16-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Whatever happened to antitrust laws anyway?

The Bush adminstration did away with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics