Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:17 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,793,242 times

Advertisements

Laid-off executives struggle to find any kind of job - USATODAY.com

Jacked this article from another board....Very compelling article.. We all should be very humble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 05:25 PM

701 posts, read 1,424,809 times
And this should be on a Charlotte-specific board why?

Old 12-31-2009, 05:28 PM

324 posts, read 861,268 times
It is a scary thought to lose a job, but one has to wonder did they save any thing from their 6 figure salaries. They were living quite lavish and probably living above their means. Do you really need to be in an exclusive country club? It's the kids that ultimately suffer and it's sad. It should be a warning to us all.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:48 PM

769 posts, read 2,214,230 times
Interestingly, these are all the same things us peons have been dealing with, except that it's 10% of us, versus 5.1% of the "Management" strata and 3.4% of the "Executive" strata - and I've never been able to afford 7 vacations a year!

Old 01-01-2010, 07:14 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,481,788 times
I don't feel sorry for them at all.
Wonder how many jobs they off-shored or out-sourced?
Wonder how many backs they walked up to secure their
own lifestyle?

The one guy was laid off in 2008 and has already blown his retirement/savings?
And people want to bawk and say there are those who got caught up in the housing crisis
who were living beyond their means? Not hardly........

What a joke.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:45 AM

769 posts, read 2,214,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I don't feel sorry for them at all.
Wonder how many jobs they off-shored or out-sourced?
Wonder how many backs they walked up to secure their
own lifestyle?

The one guy was laid off in 2008 and has already blown his retirement/savings?
And people want to bawk and say there are those who got caught up in the housing crisis
who were living beyond their means? Not hardly........

What a joke.
I especially "liked" where the family went ahead and took their vacation to Hilton Head - one would assume at somewhere around $500/night - because he was so sure he'd get re-hired right away. Welcome to the real world.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:06 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,182,505 times
I feel no sympathy for the man. He is 43, once had a job making $400K/year, apparently too proud to go take just "any" job, and is now hitting up his parents for money because he apparently never learnt the lesson of being frugal and putting away for a rainy day. Amazing Amazing Amazing. I looked him up on the internet. He has been the executive of companies that provide no value add to American society. Instead they leech off the movement of money. These are the same people that sent the real jobs in this country overseas.

My advice to him. ManUp to your responsibilities as a human being, father, and husband.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:51 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,920,404 times
I see some sour grapes in here. There is some truth to the statement that it's not so much where you land, but how far you fall. High-income earners are not all that much different from everybody else in having taken on too much in the way of expenses, and are suffering from the loss of income and investment value.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:16 PM

975 posts, read 1,752,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I feel no sympathy for the man. He is 43, once had a job making $400K/year, apparently too proud to go take just "any" job, and is now hitting up his parents for money because he apparently never learnt the lesson of being frugal and putting away for a rainy day. Amazing Amazing Amazing. I looked him up on the internet. He has been the executive of companies that provide no value add to American society. Instead they leech off the movement of money. These are the same people that sent the real jobs in this country overseas.

My advice to him. ManUp to your responsibilities as a human being, father, and husband.
You are one angry dude. I'd be willing to bet whatever you do adds nothing to "American Society" either, but I understand everyone needs a job. And whether someone makes 400k or 40k I wouldn't ever be happy to see them lose their job. Perhaps someday good fortune will hit you and you'll realize that how much a person earns doesn't say anything about what type of person they are. And you might even someday get to the point where you learn that 400k isn't exactly "hotshot" kind of money.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:44 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,920,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
You are one angry dude. I'd be willing to bet whatever you do adds nothing to "American Society" either, but I understand everyone needs a job. And whether someone makes 400k or 40k I wouldn't ever be happy to see them lose their job. Perhaps someday good fortune will hit you and you'll realize that how much a person earns doesn't say anything about what type of person they are. And you might even someday get to the point where you learn that 400k isn't exactly "hotshot" kind of money.
$400K is not necessarily 'hotshot' money. That's very true. While it's a comfortable income, for sure, the real Wall Street 'hotshots' would consider that income to be poverty level. And in a high cost of living area like New York, it doesn't go as far as one might think.

One thing I have definitely noticed is that the American habit of financial overextension, going into debt, etc. is just as applicable to high income people as it is to lower income and middle income people. In that sense, our problem is very egalitarian. I know people who do what one of the guys in the article does, running up credit card debt all year and paying it off with his bonus. That's a game of Russian roulette, IMO, as demonstrated by the facts in the article.

I work for a Wall Street firm and it is no picnic. Most of the people working those so-called glamorous Wall Street jobs are miserable and highly stressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics