Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:49 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times

Advertisements

I've had Geico for a while, simply for laziness and the convenience. I found out my son isn't driving his car for the winter. He's been staying with my parents and they have a few feet of snow on the ground. Not ideal weather for a Camaro.

So I called the insurance company and dropped him and the car. The lady says I need proof that he's now covered under my parents insurance so they can take him off mine. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I mean, what if he wasn't driving their vehicles and they were taking him to and from work? But that's fine, whatever.

So I ask the lady if it affects my monthly payment and she says hang on she'll check. Comes back to let me know that my insurance will go up!! I dropped a 21 year old single male driving a sports car and my insurance goes up??

Her reasoning is that even though he's with my parents until spring he *might* come back here to visit and *might* drive one of our cars so it's mandatory we cover him on my husband's Explorer, which is a few years newer and financed so it has more coverage so it's more expensive.

Uh, BS. He won't drive any of our cars, he'd bring one of theirs. Doesn't matter. Insurance company says we have no choice but to cover him on our cars if he's not covered on his own car as long as his physical address on his DL is our home.

Now I'm major pissed. I told her to put him and his car back on and leave it alone and I'd find another insurance company ASAP. Asked to make sure everything was back to normal and the payment would be back to what it was. Nope. Now I have a $4 fee on there for renewing. I've had no accidents and no tickets, nor has hubby or son, so as a thanks for being a long term policy holder with no points, I get a renewal fee? LOL They already charge you each month for making the payments to begin with!! Gah!!!

So, I'm done. Does anyone have a national auto insurance company they can recommend. Apparently Geico enjoys finding creative ways to rip off it's customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 AM

553 posts, read 1,632,916 times
I was with State Farm for 10-11 years, then switched to Liberty Mutual. I was afraid to switch at first, but for a total savings of almost $110 a month, I couldn't resist. I have now been with Liberty Mutual for just over a year, and my rate went up only $7 per year (state-wide thing) when it came time to renew. DH was hit by an uninsured driver, and LM was great throughout the process. I took the car to the dealer for repair, and there were no issues about not going through an authorized repair center. Payment was issued quickly, and the loss department sent me the paperwork to report the uninsured driver to the BMV when he didn't pay.

When it came time for my renewal (last month), I got quotes, and Geico $200 cheaper every six months, but I didn't like that they only wrote 6-month policies, and the homeowner's insurance was more, so I ended up sticking with Liberty Mutual.

I also got quotes from State Farm, Nationwide, USAA, Progressive, Allstate and Farmer's. With apples to apples quotes, the best prices were:
1 - Geico
2- Liberty Mutual
3- State Farm
4- Allstate
5- Progressive
6- Nationwide
7-Farmer's
8- USAA
(All the time it takes to compare is another reason I don't want to purchase a six month policy!)

Mrs - If Geico is the best insurance (other than this son/Camaro fiasco) maybe you could call back and talk to another rep, or tell them you are considering cancelling and see what they offer. Most companies want to keep good customers who pay on time!

Last edited by dogmomof2; 01-01-2010 at 11:08 AM..

Old 01-01-2010, 10:43 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I've had Geico for a while, simply for laziness and the convenience. I found out my son isn't driving his car for the winter. He's been staying with my parents and they have a few feet of snow on the ground. Not ideal weather for a Camaro.

So I called the insurance company and dropped him and the car. The lady says I need proof that he's now covered under my parents insurance so they can take him off mine. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I mean, what if he wasn't driving their vehicles and they were taking him to and from work? But that's fine, whatever.

So I ask the lady if it affects my monthly payment and she says hang on she'll check. Comes back to let me know that my insurance will go up!! I dropped a 21 year old single male driving a sports car and my insurance goes up??

Her reasoning is that even though he's with my parents until spring he *might* come back here to visit and *might* drive one of our cars so it's mandatory we cover him on my husband's Explorer, which is a few years newer and financed so it has more coverage so it's more expensive.

Uh, BS. He won't drive any of our cars, he'd bring one of theirs. Doesn't matter. Insurance company says we have no choice but to cover him on our cars if he's not covered on his own car as long as his physical address on his DL is our home.

Now I'm major pissed. I told her to put him and his car back on and leave it alone and I'd find another insurance company ASAP. Asked to make sure everything was back to normal and the payment would be back to what it was. Nope. Now I have a $4 fee on there for renewing. I've had no accidents and no tickets, nor has hubby or son, so as a thanks for being a long term policy holder with no points, I get a renewal fee? LOL They already charge you each month for making the payments to begin with!! Gah!!!

So, I'm done. Does anyone have a national auto insurance company they can recommend. Apparently Geico enjoys finding creative ways to rip off it's customers.
I hate to be the messenger with bad news but insurance in all states have to comply with laws written (with their help) on how they can charge for coverage written in your state. So it isn't just Geico it's all insurance sold in your state.

As to you cost going up when you drop coverage on a car or a house......
That's the way insurance companies hold a gun to your head to keep the coverage or pay a penelty. Legal robbery in other words.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:04 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
Thanks! I called Liberty Mutaul and it's almost half of what I've been paying through Geico!!!! I'll keep calling around to the others you suggested, but it's going to be hard to beat that quote!

Old 01-01-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I called Liberty Mutaul and it's almost half of what I've been paying through Geico!!!! I'll keep calling around to the others you suggested, but it's going to be hard to beat that quote!

Yay! Then you can tell Geico to kiss off! Oh, if you go with Liberty Mutual, ask for an association discount - that can knock off another percent! Ask about any alumni associations, work associations, credit unions, Upromise, etc.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:06 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:

Be very careful that you are being quoted the exact same coverage to get that great price. It's not uncommon for a lowball less coverage price to be offered to new customers to steal them away from another company.

It's in your best interest to do a line by line, coverage by coverage, comparison of what you have vs what was offered before you switch.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:24 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Be careful about the phone quotes though. I called around a couple weeks ago for rates. One company's written quote ended up being slightly higher than their phone quote, another company's written quote was 30% less than their phone quotation. I have to wonder if that company would do a bait and switch at the next renewal?
FWIW, i did call LM for a quote because i was pleased with how they processed my property damage claim against one of their insureds in the past. Their quoted price was slightly higher than my current company charges.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:38 PM

I was worried about prices changing. If you give your SSN and DL numbers, it should be fairly accurate. My State Farm agent had me all worried it would be a bait and switch thing. But it wasn't and even when it came time to renew, a $7 increase for a whole year is not bad!
I wouldn't commit until getting it in writing, after it goes through underwriting. I know Liberty Mutual had something in their paperwork that I selected indicating I would not accept their insurance if the price changed during the underwriting process. I also waited to cancel my old insurance until everything went through!
I am pretty anal, if you can't tell

Old 01-01-2010, 07:07 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
What I do is have two insurance companies... every time renewal comes up, I call up the other one to see what their price were... the last two times I did this, the other company beat the price by 20-50%.. So I will continue to keep switching back and forth until the insurance companies wise up and stop increasing my premium especially when there are no accidents, no tickets, no claims, NOTHING.. and my car is not getting more expensive each year as it gets older either... I figure they are just trying to rob their customers... there should be a law against car insurance companies raising premiums for no reason... oh, and the reason they gave me was because there was "more" costs because of the city I live in "that" year... BS...

Old 01-01-2010, 07:21 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
I got a huge reduction in my premium when I switched to Liberty Mutual also. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics