Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 07:27 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times

Advertisements

Buffett: Execs should pay price for risky bets - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100227/ap_on_bi_ge/us_buffett_letter - broken link)

Quote:
In my view a board of directors of a huge financial institution is derelict if it does not insist that its CEO bear full responsibility for risk control," Buffett wrote. "If he's incapable of handling that job, he should look for other employment"
Personal responsibility. My my. What a concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 05:24 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
This is all talk, do the CEOs of the companies he owns large stakes in operate in this matter? Nope.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:56 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
buffett does a lot of talking -and people listen.

it should be pointed out, however that
he was against derivatives until he invested in them.
he was for everybody paying more taxes, but never wrote that extra check to the government. (and actually structured deals to benefit himself in a tax position)
he was against splitting stock, but then he did split it.
he was for buying american, but gobbled up foreign currencies and stocks. (for the trade imbalance )

buffett thinks there is going to be a housing recovery in a year, which i don't see. as well, he is heavily invested in goldman sachs, which i think should be in for a tough ride ahead. (justifiably)

a video refresher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSwWy4E6I04

i have nothing personally against buffett, as he is a very shrewd operator, and have to give him points for the ability to craft an image so successfully.

Last edited by floridasandy; 02-28-2010 at 07:22 AM..

Old 02-28-2010, 06:47 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
Not that I don't agree with what he says, but.....

1. He's an [almost] 80 year old man. His billions aside, he's far 'over the hill' and in the eyes of many, a relic from generations now gone by. Remember the rule of the young[er] and stupid: "I don't care how many more seasons than me you have under youre belt. I don't care if your way is better, faster, and cheaper, I'm going to do it MY way."

2. With the full power of both the US Government and the Federal Reserve having already said and acted in effect "the profits are to be shared by the few. The losses must be shared by all", who in their right might thinks that gravy train is going to be taken away? With that genie now out of the bottle, you might have better luck putting toothpaste back in the tube.

3. The ability to play with and lose other peoples money while simultaneously being able to keep the profits is a perk of being a "fat cat", plain and simple. Like an unwritten rule and job requirement for being an airline gate agent is to be able to take and handle verbal abuse from the public because of inclement weather, a perk for being a plutocrat is to..well...wield some strong influence and gamble with other peoples money.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:40 AM

707 posts, read 1,293,389 times
Buffett is a pigman just like the rest of them. That folksy bs he spreads is just that, bs. He is also in favor of inheritance tax but you notice he's not paying any, give his fortune to Bill Gates foundation.
Watch what people do, not what they say.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:02 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
There's a great biography of buffett, roger lowenstein's, "The Making of an American Capitalist". Better than snowball, imo.

-He's not as terrible as Bernanke or Paulson, or other wall street criminals. And to Buffett's credit, most of Berkshire's gains happened well before this crisis on Wall Street. It's ironic that Buffett made most of his money before people got interested in him. In his latest shareholder letter, he said that 12 people (count'em 12) attended the meeting in 1981! And now it's like 35,000. Shows you about the wisdom of crowds.

These journalists that follow him around like a puppy, where were they 20-25 years ago? The berkshire fawning is way overdone, given the size of the company. Other mature companies like GE don't get that sort of adulation.

-I think in the last 10-15 years, he's broken from his old mold, since he's got so much money (with a smaller universe of stocks to buy), and he has to do more things to keep the returns going. He can't just buy coke or american express when they are cheap.

-He got rich in the 50's, he didnt have the govt on his side then. And he didnt get these sweet deals, like gs.

-Notice how his image has gotten so carefully crafted in the last 10-15 years. Its to keep him relevant and keep his name out there. Otherwise, he risks being seen as a relic (esp by young investors).

Old 03-03-2010, 09:13 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Buffett: Execs should pay price for risky bets - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100227/ap_on_bi_ge/us_buffett_letter - broken link)

Personal responsibility. My my. What a concept.
Do we also need to remind individuals that Buffet is one of the largest stockholders in companies who received bailouts from the govt? GS is one such example..

If he believed in "personal responsibility", he would have loaned GS money rather than the taxpayer...

Man is a financial genius, and a hypocrite...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics