Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:37 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,444,984 times

Advertisements

A sign of things to come? With print newspapers folding, and income from online advertising down, is this what will happen with the more popular, general interest newspapers?

New York Times to Charge Frequent Readers of Web Site - NYTimes.com
The New York Times announced Wednesday that it intended to charge frequent readers for access to its Web site, a step being debated across the industry that nearly every major newspaper has so far feared to take.

Starting in early 2011, visitors to NYTimes.com will get a certain number of articles free every month before being asked to pay a flat fee for unlimited access. Subscribers to the newspaper’s print edition will receive full access to the site.
My daily print newspaper, the Washington Post, has increased the daily price in stores to 75 cents, and the Sunday paper is now $2.00 ... and both are noticeably smaller with less non-ad content. They increased prices due to reduced circulation. I really like a print newspaper but I've gone from buying the paper 7 days a week to 3 weekdays & Sunday (i.e., the increased prices have reduced my consumption).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 11:50 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,671,929 times
Like so many things in modern life people have gone from low, or lower, tech to high tech internet or electronics this or that for news and much else that is NOT sustainable long term when the lights go out and the oil dries up.

The Bible says ,"the meek shall inherit the earth" to which one can rightly think that God ment those who live with the earth using a simpler low tech way of life that IS sustainable.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:52 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,802,225 times
geez, I guess I'll just have to get my news from one of the ten million other news websites.

Do they really think "brand loyalty" will keep them in business?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:52 PM

698 posts, read 1,508,906 times
Well newspapers are a long outdated news source. With the inventions of cell phones with fast internet access there is no reason why I should have to buy a newspaper. For example, my Iphone has a New York Times app that lets access their website and get the most updated news for free(i bet this will change to a subscription service soon enough).

Old 01-20-2010, 01:14 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
such a shame. I started reading the NYT regularly. It is informative, but there's no way in hell that I'm going to pay for such a liberally-biased, New York-centric publication.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:15 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Like so many things in modern life people have gone from low, or lower, tech to high tech internet or electronics this or that for news and much else that is NOT sustainable long term when the lights go out and the oil dries up.

The Bible says ,"the meek shall inherit the earth" to which one can rightly think that God ment those who live with the earth using a simpler low tech way of life that IS sustainable.
Don't be scared. It will all be fine.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:36 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,395 times
I'll make a final determination once I see the price. If it's $50 or less per year, I think I'd do it. Anymore and I'd really have to think about how much I use it. I'm not sure the NYT can provide anywhere near the same value as the WSJ, FT and Economist (3 publications worth paying for).

Old 01-22-2010, 12:19 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
When I'm polled about how I get my news, they never ask the right question. In addition to TV, radio, newspapers, they think that when you go to a website for news, you go to a particular newspaper and sit and read that newspaper online. I know that isn't what I do. I go to someplace like Google News or Drudge Report and read the latest story on the topic from whatever newspaper it comes from. Or, if it's an event related story, I look for a newspaper local to that event. For example if there is a tornado in Missouri, I go to Google News, look for a Missouri news story and read that one. I don't sit there and read that whole Missouri newspaper online. In the Scott Brown win, for example, I wanted to see what the Boston papers had to say about it the day after. When he visited DC, I wanted to see what the DC papers said. If it's general politics, I look for the best info. I don't sit there and read everything on their website.

The answer is to make you view an ad (not a pop-up) before you read a story, just like you do on most video websites. The advertising will pay for it if the audience must view the ad first before the story appears. But I have no allegiance to any particular newspaper on ALL topics so why would I pay for access to their entire website when I only want to read one story on a particular day.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:16 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,049,927 times
LoL, September 2007 they had stopped charing for it because people just went elsewhere and they had lost tremendous amounts of business.

Times to Stop Charging for Parts of Its Web Site - New York Times

It doesnt take a crystal ball to see how this will end.

Now if only the WSJ would realize that people are not subscribing because their online subscription costs more then the paper edition.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:20 PM

768 posts, read 942,144 times
I'll pay for it.

They drive me nuts sometimes, but the sometimes tough to admit truth(for me) is that they are a great paper with some incredible talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics