Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 09:24 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,583,001 times

Advertisements

Now the consumers are arming themselves with rights!

Sounds like the civil rights movement is turning into the credit rights movement

Dallas News - Better Off Deadbeat: Craig Cunningham Has a Simple Solution for Getting Bill Collectors Off His Back. He Sues Them. - page 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,165 times
Very nice...well, not the part that he was in the Reserves and thought he was suddenly landlord/real estate hot-shot material, but the baiting tactics...the few bill collectors I have gotten in the last year or two were just ones that hoped I had forgotten that I had paid them off several years ago and go away after one cease and desist/validation of debt request letter. DRATS!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:52 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Good. A sketchy, dishonest industry is finally faced with a equally corrupt and villainous adversary.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:40 AM

267 posts, read 1,360,690 times
I have also seen ads on TV for lawyers now offering their services for those who want to sue collection agencies. Between those ads and this story, somewhat of a twist.

I have to wonder if at the very least some of this is, is linked to the stories I have read about in recent years about collection agencies and their extreme ways in getting money and it wasn't always about your debt either.

One story I was told was about Wells Fargo and how one of their collection bigwigs was on some site, checking out the forums only to read a post about Wells Fargo's bizarre ways at collection a debt like calling people up to 20 times a day, using foul language/sex talk, saying Wells Fargo lies when they say your calls are being recorded when it reality they arent, etc... Anyway the story goes that Wells Fargo demanded the website to track down that post through the IP address so they can sue that poster.

One of my dad's friends was sued ( or so he claims ) by a collection agency not because of the debt but rather by an employee there for defamamtion of character since he in the conversation he had questioned the sexual preference of the guy he was talking to on the phone with at that collection agency.

Well at least that story from Dallas is the reverse of some of the more bizarre collection agency stories I have heard over the years.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:01 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,146,800 times
Wow that is an interesting story. And I agree, that we as consumers should be aware of all our rights.
I don't know if I agree with him or not, but it's working for him.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:13 PM

537 posts, read 1,447,686 times
I sued a collection agency once. They folded real fast and settled.

Collection agencies are easy to sue because they typically violate FDCPA to try to collect. They expect consumers to NOT know the laws so they routinely break them.

Plus under FDCPA you can sue for your reasonable attorney fees so it's easy to find an attorney to take your case.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:39 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,432 times
I didn't have to read much before coming to the conclusion that this guy is a leech. Did it mention anything about him getting up to go to work every day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics