Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:17 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times

Advertisements

Corporations are not going to be the answer. In the past corporations often had corporate responsibility to the communities in which they resided. This is largely no longer the case for a multitude of reasons - stockholders, multinational nature, competitive pressures, etc.

Your best bet is to take a small group of talented individuals and find your own market niche and create your own opportunities. That being said, the challenges of starting and operating a small business are formidable. Much needs to be done on both the state and national level to support small business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 10:58 AM

163 posts, read 427,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it is a shame that you don't have any sympathy for the situation that many americans are facing, especially since you post about your own recent layoff.
it is hard for people to compete when there isn't a level playing field and all of these bogus "trade" agreements, government regulations, and currency manipulations do not exactly create a fair playing field for workers. (add to that, the additional burden of being expected to bail out some dishonest stock market manipulators.)
the only good news for us on the horizon is that the dollar is gaining some traction due to the instability of the euro. capital goes where it is welcome /safe and a stable currency would certainly be a step in the right direction for the united states.
of course, if we keep up with our nonstop spending that capital won't stay here long:
More Spending is Never the Answer | Ron Paul .com

Of course I empathize. Just dont point the finger at Chinese, Indians, and other so called "New Americans who apparently aren't worthy nor competent of rebuilding America", or whatever that idiot poster I quoted said.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:31 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Third World immigration is changing the character of 'The American People'. We used to have a great mix...maybe the best there ever was. They had to import people from places not known for industriousness, honesty, or smarts. Now, our collective IQ is plummeting, and personal traits like honesty and restraint are becoming things of the past. The American People built America. The New American People probably can't rebuild it.
I guess you are talking about people from South America? Well, I lived in California and I can assure you that South Americans work harder then your average overweight, dumbed down, beer drinking American; and it is for this reason as to why companies hire them.

As far as the past history of America, you are romanticizing it because the white people who built up this land killed 90% of the Indians and then used Africans to build up the basic infrastructure, so these early white Americans were far from honest.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnian View Post
it is not a problem of opportunity but desire. Too many people are not interested in hard work, physical and/or mental. American schools provide opportunities to get ahead and we have the finest post secondary system in the world. However, college enrollment is on the decline for males and science, mathematics, and engineering programs are under-represented by american students. Many of the students taking classes in science, mathematics, and engineering are foreign students studying in the u.s. Sadly, most of these students receive their fine education here and return home after graduation to build up their own countriies leading to the erosion of america's ability to compete in the future.

Reality television stars and the popularized life-styles of bizarre celebrities appear to be of greater interest to today's youths (as well as many adults) than inquisitiveness, persistence, and commitment to hard work.

The answer requires a societal culture shift. As teddy roosevelt once said, "the things that will destroy america are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life."
+1

Old 02-16-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman72 View Post
America's perceived disadvantage in science and math is a myth. You guys breed a lot of dumb people, but there are also many smart ones with talents wasted which go towards unproductive sectors of society. Truth is you guys have been sold out by the powers to be a long time ago. There is little incentive to go into science and math. When the day comes where standards of living in India and China rise to the point where they feel no need to come here, there will be a large hole in scientific innovation for America. Why on earth would I tell my kids to become a scientist or engineer so they can do twice the work that maybe 5% of the population are capable of doing, work twice the hours, for half the pay in fields such as law, finance, pharmacy, or medicine? It's not that Americans aren't talented in these fields at all, it's that your priorities are all screwed up and you reward the people who decide how the wealth pie should be carved up; which aren't the same people who create the wealth pie in the first place.

WOW! Home run!!

Old 02-16-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it is a shame that you don't have any sympathy for the situation that many americans are facing, especially since you post about your own recent layoff.
With all due respect, Americans have been living 'the good life' for a long time and it's a shame that during this time billions of people were living (and still are) in poverty around the world.

Seriously, this is a good thing that the American economy is in difficulty; it's making Americans wake up from their sleep and realize what is truly important in life (family, friends, a strong community).

Old 02-19-2010, 08:09 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post

Screwed up priorities is right, our economy fosters the overcompensation of the unproductive (financials et al), and it will lead to our eventual irrelevance in the global economic spectrum. It will certainly be a tough pill to swallow for americans accustomed to a certain quality of life that will be downgraded by the emergence of population centers like India and China in 30 years time.
This truth runs head-on into the Randian myth that the wealthy in our society are deserving of their wealth, and those that aren't wealthy are poor because they are a drag on society. The fact is that most of our wealthiest are parasites whose path to wealth contributed nothing at all to society (I'm thinking people like the CEOs of these health insurance companies, AIG, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, as well as people who come from money like our fat-cat politicians). We can't survive as a society as long as our economy continues to reward politics and moving money around above all else.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I think that china and india are going to be a growing ecomic power but they are way behind in so many areas I doubt can be solved for decades to come. Europe is in much worse shape than we are to teh oint that they could veen think about much of a stilulus by government spending;there spending by governamnt even has they admitted in the G8 would have gone to the brink if they had.Our spending per GDP is getting higher and we have seen what this has meant for europe;a very high satndard of unemployemnt especailly in the under 30 age group.Its also mans more that are at the lower end of their income group and higher prices for evrything. In lookign at our SS;medcaire and medicaid problems it nothnig like what europe faces in the future.So there is alwqays hope as I rememeber the same kind of thinking in the 70's recession but the huge deficit spending just means alot of pain for alot of folks in the near future as the bill becomes due.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:23 PM

163 posts, read 427,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think that china and india are going to be a growing ecomic power but they are way behind in so many areas I doubt can be solved for decades to come. Europe is in much worse shape than we are to teh oint that they could veen think about much of a stilulus by government spending;there spending by governamnt even has they admitted in the G8 would have gone to the brink if they had.Our spending per GDP is getting higher and we have seen what this has meant for europe;a very high satndard of unemployemnt especailly in the under 30 age group.Its also mans more that are at the lower end of their income group and higher prices for evrything. In lookign at our SS;medcaire and medicaid problems it nothnig like what europe faces in the future.So there is alwqays hope as I rememeber the same kind of thinking in the 70's recession but the huge deficit spending just means alot of pain for alot of folks in the near future as the bill becomes due.

As an Indian I'm not sold on India. You think the American government is corrupt? India is 10x worse. They have a good guy in charge, but 95% of the people who make the rules around there are parasites. This will likely be China's century.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:25 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman72 View Post
As an Indian I'm not sold on India. You think the American government is corrupt? India is 10x worse. They have a good guy in charge, but 95% of the people who make the rules around there are parasites. This will likely be China's century.
Are you under the impression that China, essentially a dictatorship, lacks corruption?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics