Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:14 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times

Advertisements

[quote=Mathguy;13191143]I agree with your first point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Your second comment is flat out wrong. The CEO is also an employee, they get fired all the time and are NOT the owners.
I am aware they are not the owners. However, if you are not aware of how the board and CEO relate, then thats a you problem.

Quote:
Specifically, look at Ford's CEO and come back and tell me how he hasn't done anything.
Two words for you Ken Lewis. Ran BOA in to the ground, and "retires" with a golden parachute. For every one CEO you find me who may justify his salary, Ill find you 10 who arent.

Quote:
Your third comment is only partially correct. The richest people I know in real life started out with very little.
However, the richest people you know in generation X and Y, will not have started out with very little.

Quote:
The CEO isn't an employee? And you are equating him to the owner? Sorry...you stopped making sense there and are just ranting gibberish.
Obviously you have no clue how a CEO is elected. A CEO is only technically an "employee", but he is really no more then an elected official (the person who is most favored by the board). He is generally elected and kept in power by a board of directors who are largely his friends or even his board appointees in some companies. Therefore, he ends up rewarded far more then he ever provides to the company (which means he is stealing wealth off others backs), is given years of leeway while he completely screws off, and, is given a golden parachute.

A pro athlete must ALWAYS pull in what he is getting paid, or the team will lose money, and he will be cut. Period. The same is true for any other rank and file employee. CEO's NEVER answer to that same bell. They will keep their jobs and salaries even as they are cutting other people and getting bonuses for doing so (which is exactly equivalent to an owner cutting people and keeping the scratch), and riding a company to hell. Then, when they "retire" or finally the board succumbs to the rioting by share holders, they get a golden parachute. I dont know of any pro athlete that was given one of those in his contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 06:08 PM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
[quote=Randomdude;13210125]
Quote:
I agree with your first point.

I am aware they are not the owners. However, if you are not aware of how the board and CEO relate, then thats a you problem.

Two words for you Ken Lewis. Ran BOA in to the ground, and "retires" with a golden parachute. For every one CEO you find me who may justify his salary, Ill find you 10 who arent.

However, the richest people you know in generation X and Y, will not have started out with very little.

Obviously you have no clue how a CEO is elected. A CEO is only technically an "employee", but he is really no more then an elected official (the person who is most favored by the board). He is generally elected and kept in power by a board of directors who are largely his friends or even his board appointees in some companies. Therefore, he ends up rewarded far more then he ever provides to the company (which means he is stealing wealth off others backs), is given years of leeway while he completely screws off, and, is given a golden parachute.

A pro athlete must ALWAYS pull in what he is getting paid, or the team will lose money, and he will be cut. Period. The same is true for any other rank and file employee. CEO's NEVER answer to that same bell. They will keep their jobs and salaries even as they are cutting other people and getting bonuses for doing so (which is exactly equivalent to an owner cutting people and keeping the scratch), and riding a company to hell. Then, when they "retire" or finally the board succumbs to the rioting by share holders, they get a golden parachute. I dont know of any pro athlete that was given one of those in his contract.
You must not follow MLB or the NBA then....or the big signing bonuses in the NFL. There are several guys in the NBA that will make 20million dollars this year for essentially not playing. A-rod gets his 33million if he doesn't play...or plays horribly.

Check out Tracy McGrady if you have further questions....or Eddy Curry....or how about the college football coaches that get millions to leave when they don't produce.

I absolutely agree that there have been some incestuous practices with CEO's and boards...Warren Buffet has made the same comment. I'm merely saying you hear about it when they get big money for failing but never the other way around.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:15 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
You must not follow MLB or the NBA then....or the big signing bonuses in the NFL. There are several guys in the NBA that will make 20million dollars this year for essentially not playing. A-rod gets his 33million if he doesn't play...or plays horribly.
They will make alot of money for not playing or sucking, but that is limited. Once their contract is up, they will never be paid again. Ex-CEOs often are paid and retain use of company assets decades after they are gone.

Quote:
Check out Tracy McGrady if you have further questions....or Eddy Curry....or how about the college football coaches that get millions to leave when they don't produce.
Im very familiar with McGrady and Curry....life long Knicks fan. Then again, are Eddy Curry and Tracy McGrady going to be provided a Park Avenue penthouse, a secretary and use of the Knicks team plane after their contracts run out? No, Curry will likely be out of the league, and McGrady will be playing for a fraction of his former salary. Thats it.

Also, when it comes to McGrady and Curry, other people make their employment choices. Donnie Walsh and James Dolan are making the final call on whether McGrady has a job with the Knicks when his contract is up. CEOs often stack the board (in some cases, board members are even appointed by the CEO), and the board determines their "employment" and "compensation".

Old 03-14-2010, 09:23 PM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
They will make alot of money for not playing or sucking, but that is limited. Once their contract is up, they will never be paid again. Ex-CEOs often are paid and retain use of company assets decades after they are gone.

Im very familiar with McGrady and Curry....life long Knicks fan. Then again, are Eddy Curry and Tracy McGrady going to be provided a Park Avenue penthouse, a secretary and use of the Knicks team plane after their contracts run out? No, Curry will likely be out of the league, and McGrady will be playing for a fraction of his former salary. Thats it.

Also, when it comes to McGrady and Curry, other people make their employment choices. Donnie Walsh and James Dolan are making the final call on whether McGrady has a job with the Knicks when his contract is up. CEOs often stack the board (in some cases, board members are even appointed by the CEO), and the board determines their "employment" and "compensation".
<shrug> You seem to want to apply the actions of the worst few to the entire group. With that said, all NBA players are headcases with 14 illegitimate children, shoot their drivers in the head and do crack and cross-dress.

Your bias and hatred so great that you cannot even discuss the topic clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics