Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:06 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,305,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Does any one see any hope ever of employment being stabilized,where will jobs come from?
This is the United States of America for cying out loud. If you can't find a company that will hire you, start your own! Boy oh boy, if all of the people crying about how bad off we would log off the internet and actually get up and DO something about it, half of our problems would be solved right there. How's that for a novel approach - DOING SOMETHING?? Radical, I know, but it sure beats the heck out of all the complaining and whining people are doing around here. DO SOMETHING! Don't like your boss?? Start your own business. Don't like the way our government is run? Vote the bums out (regardless of party, vote out ALL the incumbents). Or (GASP) run for office yourself!! Mayor, town coucil, school committee, even dog catcher, it doesn't matter - shut up and DO SOMETHING!

Old 03-06-2010, 02:33 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Reminder. Folk's, I did not post this thread as political issue. Please don't turn into a political discussion. The intent is to discuss how this possible second crash will affect your financial choices. If you wish to discuss any politics of this issue you are welcome to start a thread in politics forum. Thank you.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Reminder. Folk's, I did not post this thread as political issue.
Fair enough, but you must remember that when you invoke Michael Moore's name, you are going to end up with a political discussion. In this day and age, the source of the information is just as important to the discussion as the content.

I personally do not believe we will see a second "crash". As for how one would affect me, well, I have no debt besides my mortgage, I have a fixed rate mortgage on a home that I have a ton of equity in, plenty of emergency cash saved, and an investment portfolio of stocks that I have such long term faith in that I would view another trip to Dow 6547 as a tremendous buying opportunity.

The only true concern I would have would of course be job security, but I survived this last year and see no real reason why my job wouldn't survive another downturn. Of course, there are always suprises, but all in all, I feel secure enough that I am not going to lose sleep at night.

What does worry me is all of the negativity on this board, particularly here under Business, Finance and Investing. It seems so many people are inclined to view our country with negative colored glasses, always looking for schemes and conspiracy, compounding it with doom and gloom and then finding convenient scapegoats for all of our own woes, both real and imagined. We all need to pull ourselves of of this stagnant swamp of negativity and finger pointing and get back to doing what Americans do best - working together and making life better, for ourselves and our country. Lord knows, as a country we can't afford to keep spinning our wheels and going no place. China sure as hell isn't going to wait for us to catch up.

Quit blaming everybody else for every percieved little injustice and start worrying about your own little piece of America. If we all did that, our country would be a much better place with a much brighter future.

Enough said.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:09 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
people always want to shoot the messenger. the "negativity" posted here consists of facts which people can digest in any way they choose, designed to counterbalance the pollyanna media which tells people that there is nothing to worry about and the recovery has arrived.

i will agree that we have to put this in perspective and that it is a world downturn and other countries besides us have issues with bank losses and currency stabilization. i think the biggest point the "party poopers" are trying to make is that we really have to consider if the government can keep propping up / replacing the private sector for an indefinite period of time and that it would be in your best interests (everyone) to have some money set aside for any eventuality-sort of like being prepared for a hurricane and not waiting for the government to come in and rescue you.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:34 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Fair enough, but you must remember that when you invoke Michael Moore's name, you are going to end up with a political discussion.
No, any thread will become a political discussion if the poster only see it as a political issue rather than the underlying more important issue which in this case it the impact of a second crash on investment choices..

It's like I said...... If you want to discuss this in a political vein then start your own thread in politics and have at it.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:36 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Michael Moore a predictor on the financial situation? Hmm ...

Old 03-06-2010, 06:45 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Ha Ha Ha , this might be the very first time MM is correct in his life. That guy is just a waste. The letter is great fun to read too. I doubt the chosen one will take MM up on much. Who wants to hang with sweaty fat egomaniac?

Old 03-07-2010, 05:39 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
I hate Michael Moore, but I do think that we face a period of economic retrenchment, much in the way that you face a big hangover after a night of heavy drinking.

We abused debt on a massive scale to front-load our economic pleasure and back-load the pain of paying for all of it. Eventually, that crashes. We've also been suffering from loss of real income for a while, and the additional debt was used to mask it rather than address the real issue.

I'd like to be optimistic and I believe that we will ultimately do the right thing, but we have to face up to the problem first. That doesn't seem to be happening yet. I'm not sure enough people recognize the perilous path we're on with trying to spend our way out of this mess by effectively shifting excessive private debt to the public realm through bailouts and stimulus, and all the while borrowing massive amounts of money from potential adversaries to do it.

So it's hard for me to be optimistic as long as we're on this path, and our government is insistently taking us further down it with seemingly no recognition of the dangers. Our source of optimism would be the hope that we will turn back from this path and get ourselves back to longer-term solvency and growth, but that will not be easy and will come with a lot of short to medium term pain. The alternative is to drug our current pain, as we've been doing, and suffer a far worse crash later. I hope we turn from this path in time.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:42 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
This is the United States of America for cying out loud. If you can't find a company that will hire you, start your own! Boy oh boy, if all of the people crying about how bad off we would log off the internet and actually get up and DO something about it, half of our problems would be solved right there. How's that for a novel approach - DOING SOMETHING?? Radical, I know, but it sure beats the heck out of all the complaining and whining people are doing around here. DO SOMETHING! Don't like your boss?? Start your own business. Don't like the way our government is run? Vote the bums out (regardless of party, vote out ALL the incumbents). Or (GASP) run for office yourself!! Mayor, town coucil, school committee, even dog catcher, it doesn't matter - shut up and DO SOMETHING!
This is the spirit we need. We need to take control. And that means stopping blaming people for our own bad decisions. If you took on too much debt, it's not the bank's fault, even if the bank was foolish to extend you all that credit. It's still your own fault for spending money you couldn't pay back. There can never be an improvement while we spend all our time blaming other people.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
This is the spirit we need. We need to take control. And that means stopping blaming people for our own bad decisions.
That's right, and the first step to taking back control of our country is for all of us to start taking control of our OWN lives, financially and politically. Blaming others and feeling sorry for ourselves all the time may be easier, and it may even make us feel better, but it will never improve our situation one iota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics