Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 02:07 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times

Advertisements

AGATHA CHRISTIE:
Where large sums of money are concerned, it is advisable to trust nobody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 06:14 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
For some, it truly is a lifestyle choice and for others, it was being at the right place at the right time... not everyone seeks or desires to be rich and some actually shun being rich.

On the other hand, my god-sister went to work at Apple Computer while in High School in 1980.... she has no advanced degrees, didn't come from a wealthy family and yet has done VERY well for herself because she was at the right place at the right time...

I personally know others that have accumulated well over a million dollars working in start-up companies here in the valley back in the 1980's...

I also know others that came as refugees from Cambodia and Laos with nothing and are truly living the life they dreamed of as business owners...

Or what about the gardener that came here from Vietnam and has one Toyota Truck making a living and has 1 child in Stanford Medical and another at UC Berkeley Engineering?

I also know people that walk the walk, working at non-profits with no desire to accumulate wealth... the point is in America, opportunities exist.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:09 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

I also know others that came as refugees from Cambodia and Laos with nothing and are truly living the life they dreamed of as business owners...

Do you know the other 90% of immigrants who continue to be amongst the poorest in the country?

Old 03-29-2010, 03:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Do you know the other 90% of immigrants who continue to be amongst the poorest in the country?
Well, I live in Oakland California and the city is known for it's diversity... both economic and racial...

To say that people don't have a chance or can't make it is wrong... when people with nothing but the will to succeed make a go of it...

It is often embarrassing when immigrants with language, cultural and economic hardships make a better life for themselves and their offspring...

How else can the high number of the UC student body of second generation Asian Americans be explained if the die is cast and no one has a chance?

So many of the areas young MD's are foreign born... people do have options...

Old 03-30-2010, 12:50 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
It is often embarrassing when immigrants with language, cultural and economic hardships make a better life for themselves and their offspring...

they are not jaded by the entitlement culture. they know that the world doesn't owe them anything because they've probably come from a place where they had no chance of amounting to anything

Old 03-30-2010, 04:53 AM

223 posts, read 169,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedFinancialAdvice View Post
The quoted statement sums it up. Salaries have not kept up with the times. 20 years ago it may have seemed like a great income but not now.

How do you solve that though?
I read the article "Consider the Germans" in this month's Harper's:

Consider the Germans by Thomas Geoghegan
This link might work, but I can't seem to post it as I like: http://www.harpers.org/archive/2010/03/0082859
It was quite good and explained a few things about the German system and why they maintain manufacturing jobs.
They've bought into a system that works.

Interesting read.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:47 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Well, I live in Oakland California and the city is known for it's diversity... both economic and racial...

To say that people don't have a chance or can't make it is wrong... when people with nothing but the will to succeed make a go of it...

How else can the high number of the UC student body of second generation Asian Americans be explained if the die is cast and no one has a chance?

there might be a confusion of illegal vs legal immigration here, and there is a difference.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:24 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:

I was at a math competition recently with my kids, and there were sports tournaments at the school that day too. The ethnic demographic difference between those there for youth sports and those there for the math competition were staggering. (Immigrant kids from the pac rim dominated the math competition)

It merely tells you which cultures value education and which culture looks down on *nerds* and celebrates athletes even down to the local junior high levels. (Seriously pathetic)

Old 03-30-2010, 11:26 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Many of which are illegal....and who enjoy a lifestyle vastly better than in thier home country.

I know a number of mexicans I'd love for you to tell your tales to about how bad the US is.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:52 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:

What Im pointing out is that the percent of poor immigrants who make it big is just as disparaging as the number of poor Americans.

Quote:
Many poor Americans face similiar hardships, right down to poor control of the English language.

Quote:

Its not that "no one" has a chance, its that most people have little to no chance. Its not that the odds are insurmountable, its obvious that some people have risen from nothing. Its that the odds are so steep that its more then enough to defeat most people, and its getting harder every single year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics