Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:03 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,780,328 times

Advertisements

Last time I checked we still live in a free country where individual choices are respected, who the hell is the government to force me to buy health coverage or pay fines? If I choose not to buy health coverage then it is MY wish.

Thankfully the constitutionality of this is being challenged:

FOXNews.com - Health Care Reform Fight Shifts From Congress to the Courts

If we don't challenge this then what is next? Government forcing everyone to submit to drug tests every 6 months? Or maybe they will fine people for consuming Hamburgers because they are unhealthy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 01:08 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,739,775 times
I hope the courts throw the bill out in the garbage. We will be stuck with it if they do not.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:11 PM

113 posts, read 245,160 times
God given rights have been repealed by the lawyers. Obama said that was how he saw it back in 2000. The left does not recognize the right of the sheep to be not eaten by the majority. It is now simply whatever the majority wants. So 51 percent pay no federal taxes, but demand more and more benefits.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:30 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,780,328 times

YouTube - Unconstitutional Health Care Solution?

Old 03-22-2010, 01:31 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,194,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmer laktow View Post
God given rights have been repealed by the lawyers. Obama said that was how he saw it back in 2000.
You have no rights that are not legislated and protected by law and punishment. There are no "god given rights".

Old 03-22-2010, 01:36 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,694,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
There are no "god given rights".
You are absolutely correct. Im on the fence about the health care deal.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:47 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,776,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmer laktow View Post
God given rights.
The Bill of Rights was written by God?

Old 03-22-2010, 03:49 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,802,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Last time I checked we still live in a free country where individual choices are respected, who the hell is the government to force me to buy health coverage or pay fines? If I choose not to buy health coverage then it is MY wish.

If we don't challenge this then what is next? Government forcing everyone to submit to drug tests every 6 months? Or maybe they will fine people for consuming Hamburgers because they are unhealthy...
Check again. I always knew I wouldn't grow old in the same country I grew up in.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:08 PM

5,470 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
There are no "god given rights".
Paragraph 2 of the Declaration Of Independence. Unalienable Rights, endowed by the creator and affirmed by our founding fathers.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Old 03-22-2010, 04:43 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

I'm not sure of the ramifications of this. But it's not fair that we pay for people who don't have health insurance. Someone has to pay for their medical bills when they go into the hospital and then they don't pay or end up filing bankruptcy for nonpayment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics