Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 01:10 PM

242 posts, read 733,342 times

Advertisements

Not sure where to post this, but thought I might get some good advice here.

Decided to go with metropcs as it really covers my area, is cheaper than the others, and I rarely travel. (and rarely use my phone much).

I have sprint and need to port a number.

My Story.....

The website...
Found the phone I wanted, the samsung smartphone caliber. Seems okay.
Lots of rebates too. Okay.
Did not want to wait, it said I could go to a store and buy it there with no activation needed.

The Store....
Got to the store. Wanted to buy the phone. Explained I would be porting a number later after squaring with sprint.
The saleswoman said 'I am sorry, I cannot sell you a phone unless it is activated. Do you have all your sprint info?'
I said 'no' I am on the way to work. I mentioned the website specifically says I could just buy the phone and activate later.
She says "we are not allowed to sell the phone without service."

The service rep...
Never try to call metropcs for anything. It is a no win experience and impossible to find anyone that has any information.
Eventually a rep said they do not control the stores and I should buy online.

The Order...
Paid for the phone. Had it sent 5 day. No problems. Got a case for it too.

Arrival...
Finally, it has been a week since I decided to do this and the phone is here.
Open box, no mail in rebates (should be $75 worth).
Nightmare calling experience being given 3 different numbers that are all 'leave a message' or 'you got the wrong place'.
Finally wrote an email to them.
Ta-da.. The rebates are 'online rebates' that need to be printed out and then mailed..sigh.

Dialing *288
All set to start service. Dial the number.
Disconnect. Wait. Hold. Disconnect.
hmm.. Will use home phone instead.

The phone rep...again....
Got a rep on the phone and started the process.
I wanted to port my sprint number over and get all set up. She said she had to get all my info first.
1/2 hour into the 'get information' she tries to port my home phone number.
I stop her.
I explain it is a sprint number.
She then tells me they cannot do port over the phone.
I have to go to a store to do it.
Arrgh.

Calling the store(s)
I call the store that refused to sell me a phone without service. They can port the number they said, but only if I buy the phone from them.
Thus, I need to return the phone and buy one from them (they actually said this).
I asked if there was any cost for porting. They said no, no cost.
After trying to get them to just do the phone I have I soon discovered that there was a cost..$10 to port.

Next store
$20 to port, only if I buy phone from them.

Next 5 stores in area...
No answer to phone calls.

Last store called

as packing box to ship back and go to verizon....
Man says the corporate store can port the number over.
I said I see their number on the site, I'll call.
He says you cannot call them, you have to just drive there.
He also says that I need an actual bill from sprint to get it done. I mentioned I only have online billing with them.
He says I will need to get sprint to mail me one.

DOH

Calling corporate store on other side of county...
No answer...ring ring ring..
No known times open or if they really can.

This is almost as fun as sprint with their weird 'accidental' billing strategy and 'hem haw' phone help....

I am still considering this company since for the price of 50 bucks I can get unlimited everywhere (10 more for all over the world) and all the extras versus 50 bucks at sprint for 200 minutes, no internet, and limited texting..

question is...

what will happen when I drive out to the 'corporate store'..

a) will they have moved the store to an undisclosed location?
b) They are closed and I missed their 'open window'
c) they tell me I have to do it through the online store?
d) I throw the phone through their window

Final fun note: I did use *288 to get to service a few times to get through this.
"phone cannot be returned for refund if more than one hour of talk time has been used"
--I used about 75 minutes on hold or talking with them to ask about the rebate issue.

Gonna buy a walkie talkie set...send me a letter if you need me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics