Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:05 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,708 times

Advertisements

That melt up video was made by some individuals who are not known for being honest. Here is something about one of the guys who helped make that video. Jonathan Lebed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And that George4title guy is not much better. Anyone out there looking for smart people to follow, these guys are not them. Basically there are many smart people out there who have a decent record of calling market tops and bottoms but those guys should be avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 01:01 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
That melt up video was made by some individuals who are not known for being honest. Here is something about one of the guys who helped make that video. Jonathan Lebed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And that George4title guy is not much better. Anyone out there looking for smart people to follow, these guys are not them. Basically there are many smart people out there who have a decent record of calling market tops and bottoms but those guys should be avoided.
I sincerely did not know that. Regardless, I see no advertising in that video whatsoever and I still feel it has lots of good information regarding the current economy.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:23 AM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,708 times
There is nothing wrong with trying to understand what the heck is going on LVD. Anyway you may find this interesting, from someone which I know those in the Whitehouse follow themselves. This was made in the 90s but it is still very good. He also made a documentary recently called The Wizard Of Oz. This guy understands our debt money system as good as anyone.

YouTube - The Money Masters (Part 1 of 22)

Old 05-21-2010, 05:49 AM

67 posts, read 271,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
No why don't you share them now. Surely you must have some thoughts and views on the subject or else you wouldn't have done the drive-by post that you did. You've been called. Now back it up lest you get branded a troll.

At that moment, I couldn't share them "now", because I had obligatiions to tend to- like 12 Little Leaguers and a bunch of awaiting suburban parents eager to enjoy an American pastime. I didn't realize that there is such a thing as drive-by-posting and that I had a duty to man the post 24/7. Yes, I do have some views. In short, I think that many Americans are actually quite fortunate to have the life that they have. (My econmic and political views come from the fact that I have vacationed and lived in third world countries as well as some leading European nations.) Still, I also realize that hardship is a fact of life for some people here. It doesn't matter to me whether one is pessimistic or optimistic- I was just curious as to the source of those views.

Probably more than you give them credit for provided they are given a chance to be employed in the first place. Kind of hard when what's left of the economy centers on burgers, lattés, and open heart surgery.

A subject for another discussion, but I opine that the "sex offenders" thing is getting a little too carried away and out of control, just like so many other laws that started out with good intentions but got hijacked and taken off the deep end. Ergo why should a guy who happened to get ticketed while taking a leak out back where he thought no one was looking be placed in the same league as the dude that molested an entire seventh grade? The current sex offenders system does just that. How about lifting a few of those bureaucratic barriers and look at each case on an individual level based on severity or lack thereof?

Same thing with ex convicts. I think a person that's paid their debts deserves a second chance. Once you fall into penal system, it becomes a vicious cycle that's all but impossible to break out of. Surely some sort of compromise can be made to ensure that 1) those who did wrong get full punishment and 2) those who have served their pennance get a second last chance at redemption and rejoining honest society?

Very superficial. Look. I'm not crazy about the whole tattooes...excuse me..."body art" and piercings thing either (I have none of either which probably makes me more of an expressive original than all of these 'freedom of expression, I'm unique' folks getting them, but that's beside the point), but the fact is. A substantial percentage of todays 35 and under crowd (if not greater than 50%) have some level of both. So what? They are the ones that have to live with it the rest of their lives even though they probably got them based on a one-day impulse. If that's what you are basing your criteria on, a time's going to come when you won't be able to hire ANYONE based on that. Why not worry about what really counts-such as whether or not they show up on time and/or have the knowledge to do the job-or at the very least-an open attitude to learn it? There's plenty of room for discretion. I can certainly understand not hiring someone who is excessively "tatted" and "pierced" to run the front desk of a doctors office. But so what if the chicker (or dude) has a nose ring or some skin ink in the form of barbed wire around their arm or a butterfly on their shoulder. Aren't there bigger things to worry about?
I think you missed my point. My point wasn't to debate whether sex offenders, ex-convicts, and those inclined to full-body tatoos should be hired or judged. My point was that they skew the claims because they are considered unemployable by certain businesses. In the example I presented, can't you see that suburban mom's and dad's wouldn't want to bring their precious little girl to a dentist or doctors office that employs sex offenders, ex-convicts, and people who look like gangsters?

Old 05-21-2010, 07:31 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times
Quote:

If you have a point to make about the argument do it, but do not attack the author as an argument against what he is saying, that is underhanded and only puts your credibility into question.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 AM

188 posts, read 267,784 times
Quote:

That may be true, I honestly had never seen that video before, but there are a lot of facts in there that have been well documented or written about by the gov't, wall street journal, business week, etc. The problem is those facts are overlooked because our GDP is up (aka we are spending more even though the average American has 5.5x as much debt as they do disposable income).

I'm not sure who a lot of those people were in that video but I do know who Peter Schiff is. Peter Schiff called the stock market bubble before it collapsed and he called the real estate bubble before it collapsed (he was constantly on CNBC getting laughed at from 2004-2008 predicting this collapse). Now, because he predicted both of these does this mean he is a fortune teller?...Hardly, he just understands basic economics and understands trends that are unsustainable. I recommend watching his mortgage banker speech from 2006 (before this happened) predicting what has happened in pretty good detail..

YouTube - Peter Schiff Mortgage Bankers Speech Nov/13/06

Old 05-21-2010, 09:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
What happened to the recovery ? Well today it's back..jobless rate drops across the US.
I guess yesterday's bad news about more lost jobs is "old news".

Jobless rates drop in 34 states and DC - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100521/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_state_unemployment - broken link)
"Unemployment rates fell in a majority of states last month as improved economic conditions spurred hiring."

Old 05-21-2010, 09:51 AM

188 posts, read 267,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What happened to the recovery ? Well today it's back..jobless rate drops across the US.
I guess yesterday's bad news about more lost jobs is "old news".

Jobless rates drop in 34 states and DC - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100521/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_state_unemployment - broken link)
"Unemployment rates fell in a majority of states last month as improved economic conditions spurred hiring."
pretty incredible huh? Kind of like how the stock market goes up and down on a daily basis, as if the companies values change that drastically on a daily basis. It is pretty incredible how short the medias attention span is.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
It amazes me that the journalists can write the way they do..like each day is brand new and yesterday's news never existed.

You would think that one of them would say "hey..this news is opposite of yesterday's news..what's up with that ?" and then go investigate.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:55 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,978 times
Not to worry, folks. Healthcare jobs and wind turbines will save us all. Now somebody tell those 300,000 teachers who could be fired next spring to start re-training as nurses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics