Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Edmonton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 08:04 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,185 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I'll be in Edmonton for a few weeks (for work) and this is the first time I'll be spending more than a few hours in Canada. I'd previously only spent a few hours in Vancouver, BC.

The plan is to fly into Edmonton, pick up a rental car, head to my hotel. I'll be working most of the time I'm there, but will probably spend one weekend sightseeing and checking out museams, etc. and I'll have the rental for those purposes.

Few questions.

1. I'm planning on using my US Credit card for everything, as my company will reimburse all my expenses, this will make tracking them easy. Is this practical?

2. Should I expect to find free parking across the city, or does everything require meters being fed or something similar? IE. require coins or canadian currency?

3. I have an AT&T cell phone, I'm going to check with ATT to see what roaming charges I might get, but does AT&T have good coverage in the city?

Any other hints/thoughts/suggestions?

Any suggestions for cool places to check out while I'm there?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 08:42 PM

201 posts, read 319,878 times
Your US credit card will be fine.

Parking will depend on where you need to work from but perhaps your company can give you more insight in this situation.

Finally to your cell phone plan will need to be adjusted. Not sure about AT&T but we get great coverage on our Verizon phones and they have an international calling plan that saves some of the roaming costs. We've done well to arrange for international TXT plans and then have whichever one of us is still in the States call direct to the hotel. Cheaper to reach out with long distance US to Canada than from Canada to US.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:30 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,280,740 times
AT&T will roam on Telus, so coverage will be fine, however as Rids said, make sure you get an international plan. Canadian carriers will charge you out the wazoo.

You'll need some Canadian money for incedentals. US cash is fairly widely accepted, but you'll get hosed on the exchange. Best case they may take it at par. You can use your US bank card at pretty much any Canadian bank ATM. Check with your local bank and see if they have any reciprocal agreements like Bank of America does with ScotiaBank to avoid fees.

US credit card will work fine, but you'll find everyone wondering why you don't have a chip.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:10 PM

201 posts, read 319,878 times
Yes I forgot about the chip thing! I had a waitress nearly refuse to swipe our cards last year because they didn't have a chip.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:19 AM

984 posts, read 2,710,790 times
AT&T has a canada plan you can add on for the trip. Will reduce the cost a bit.. but be REALLY careful about DATA. If you use smart phone apps or maps it will really add up. I pay more for data in Canada then when i went to Malaysia..

Old 05-10-2014, 07:46 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,134 times
Bank of America cardholders no longer avoid fees when using the Scotiabank ATM. They are charged a ripoff 3% transaction fee, which ends up costing more than the regular ATM charges if you're withdrawing more than $150.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:59 AM

984 posts, read 2,710,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Bank of America cardholders no longer avoid fees when using the Scotiabank ATM. They are charged a ripoff 3% transaction fee, which ends up costing more than the regular ATM charges if you're withdrawing more than $150.
Yeah.. but if you use your BoA card at any bank other then Scotiabank in Canada you will pay the 3% and a fee from BOA and a fee from the canadian bank..

I've gone back to switching my money at the duty free tho.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:42 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,185 times
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm in the last few days of my trip, and I'm ready to get back home to my family.

FYI, I went and saw Canada Olymic park in Calgary, Fort Edmonton park, and the West Edmonton Mall on my days off. Enjoyed the sights.

Again thanks for the tips and such, they helped a bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Edmonton