Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Edmonton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:02 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,006 times

Advertisements

Hi there, my 24 year old daughter (US Citizen) is planning on moving in with her boyfriend who lives in Edmonton. Unfortunately, for a mother (me) to say anything negative is not going over too well here. She has quit school (one semester shy of a teaching degree) to live with her boyfriend she met online a few years ago. (Can't believe it myself almost)

Can I please have feedback on what may happen in the way of the Canadian Government? She has done nothing yet in regards of getting permission to live there. We do have 'family' there (my sister-in-law<Canadian> has adult children who live there...by a prior marraige...not blood related to us, also my father's grandparents were Canadian...doesn't count since so long ago).
I have told her moving is not as easy as getting a one-way plane ticket to Canada. Told her to be ready, they may send her back on another plane.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Laura (in Florida, USA)

Last edited by lauralei2; 02-27-2007 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 11:07 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Default Here Goes, Laura

Some of this you may like, and some of it you may not. LOL

Generally speaking, a US citizen can come to Canada as a visitor for a period of six months. A person can apply for an extension to that 6-month visa while in Canada. To be granted the extension, there must be an acceptable reason given for the necessity of the extension.

I said "generally speaking" above because no non-citizen or resident is guaranteed entry to Canada. Usually, immigration officers like to have some assurance that a person who says they are coming to visit, means it. That assurance can be in the form of a return plane ticket, the presence of a permanent residence in the US, etc. If the immigration officer is not satisfied that a person intends to leave after 6 months, they may restrict the length of the visit or refuse entry outright.

The fact you have some distant relatives living in Canada likely won't influence the situation except in that your daughter could claim she was coming to visit family.

Your daughter could also choose to try and enter Canada by applying to a Canadian educational facility and getting a student visa, or she could try and acquire a job offer which would qualify her for a work purposes visa.

Both of those options are unlikely.

If your daughter enters Canada as a visitor, she will not be legally allowed to work, nor will she be covered by the government health plan.

Let's say she enters as a visitor, things go swimmingly with the boyfriend, and wedding bells chime across the tundra ( tundra is the frozen, treeless plain of the far north, not a Japanese truck). Assuming there is no US divorce to muddy the waters, your daughter can marry a Canadian with no special dispensation. Once she is married, she could then apply, from within Canada, to become a Permanent Resident with her husband as her sponsor. She would be allowed to stay in Canada while her application was being processed as long as her visitor visa was kept current.

Like all government processes, this one require a multitude of forms, physical exams, and fees. Count on it taking anywhere from 8 to 24 months for applications to processed and approved. Once approved as a Permanent Resident, she would eligible to apply for a Social Insurance Number and obtain employment.

I can certainly understand your frustration with your daughter quitting school when she is so close to her degree. If she has waited several years to be with this fellow, why the big rush now? But as you pointed out, sometimes the more you object, the more determined the other person gets.

Sadly, she's a big girl who may have to make her own mistakes. Life was probably a lot simpler when you could send her to her room without supper.

For more information, you can visit the Immigration Canada web site:

www.cic.gc.ca

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:09 AM

Thank you Cornergiy. I appreciate your comments.

Regards,

Laura

Old 02-28-2007, 08:27 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
She's gone from Ft. Lauderdale to Edmonton?!?

Edmonton, well they get some pretty wacky cold up there. (as does the rest of the prairie provinces)

It's not unsual for it to go from 50 F (10 C) in the afternoon to -5 F (-20 C) before midnight. The also get plenty of -40 F (-40 C) weather every winter. Heavy ice and snow has happened in August some years while the tree's leaves where still green.

Hopefully she can handle the cold better than I can.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:20 AM

Yes, she is moving from Ft. Lauderdale to Edmonton. We did live in Colorado for 2 years, but 40 below...ouch!!

Old 03-01-2007, 12:25 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralei2 View Post
Yes, she is moving from Ft. Lauderdale to Edmonton. We did live in Colorado for 2 years, but 40 below...ouch!!
Edmonton's official record low is -48.3 C. That's -55 F and that's not counting any wind.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:35 AM

2 posts, read 10,881 times
I hope this Guy is a pro hockey player because I can't think many reasons to move from the sunshine state to this city.
Don't get me wrong, economy is pretty hot here right now. Average home price went up 42% last year due to the hot oil industry driving workers from eastern canada into Alberta.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:20 PM

82 posts, read 618,977 times
...Edmonton, as you've heard, get's TRULY cold in the winter. There's also no Ocean. The Province is Land Locked. If the cold, absence of Ocean, and being able to see the curvature of the earth (prairies...flat flat flat forever) doesn't scare her back, then maybe the Mosquitos in the spring or black flies in the summer will. If she makes it through all of that, she just might love the boy
Best of luck to you and your daughter. And Mea Culpa to the soul from Edmonton... I'm from Cape Breton via Vancouver Island...no prairies for me lol

Old 03-07-2007, 11:55 AM

6 posts, read 25,865 times
Wink Moving to Edmonton

After reading your response it almost souns like the meeting him on the internet thing is scaring you more than the move itself. I met my husband 5 years ago and we will be celebrating our two year anniversary on the 19th. I know this sounds silly but my best advice is to hire a local private investigator and check him out beforehand. I am thankful I did and it certainly put my family at ease when they found that out!!! I moved to TN for him and am currently in Utah. Unfortunately for you she must learn on her own as you did at her age. Best of luck, I miss Edmonton like crazy so hopefully she enjoys it too!!!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,306 times
Would love to know how this all turned out. It is now Mar. 08 and our daughter did the same thing (left college one semester short of being done) for a guy she met on the internet living in Edmonton. All the information coming back from her about her expectations she can become a permanent resident sound un-informed. Hey maybe it's the same guy, this year's model :-(. If we had any idea how to get started on the advice to hire a private investigator, we would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Edmonton